Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
kindledude20
kindledude20 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Kindle PW3 on 5.6.5 Won't Update, Nor Connect to My MacBook

Hello,

Just bought my very first eBook reader, the Kindle PaperWhite 3 and I love it.

However, I noticed that there is a much newer firmware out there.

Upon tapping on settings in my Kindle PW3, the "update your kindle' option is greyed out and nothing happens if I tap it.

I heard that installing the latest update manually by downloading the latest firmware (5.12.3) on my MacBook and then connecting the PaperWhite 3 to my MacBook should work; however when I do connect my PaperWhite 3, it is never recognized at all on my Mac.

I'm at a loss here and am brand new to the world of Kindles and eBook readers. I'm excited, but wanna get this update outta the way before loading hundreds of books into it.

Thank you!
kindledude20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:00 AM   #2
kindledude20

So, upon reading up on PW3 posts in this forum it seems like its best to stay on anything but the latest firmwares for many reasons; not limited to battery drainage and poorly planned Aa menus.

Here's hoping 5.6.5 is better than 5.12.3
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindledude20 View Post
So, upon reading up on PW3 posts in this forum it seems like its best to stay on anything but the latest firmwares for many reasons; not limited to battery drainage and poorly planned Aa menus.

Here's hoping 5.6.5 is better than 5.12.3
Some people have stopped updating at 5.8.11 as that is the last version to support kindlets.

5.9.6.1 is also popular since it is jailbreakable and has most of the recent improvements such a custom fonts and font boldness adjustability.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Have you solved the issue with connecting to your Mac? Try:
- different cable
- different port on computer
- different computer
Etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 AM   #5
kindledude20

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Some people have stopped updating at 5.8.11 as that is the last version to support kindlets.

5.9.6.1 is also popular since it is jailbreakable and has most of the recent improvements such a custom fonts and font boldness adjustability.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313086
Not sure why I would want to jailbreak or even consider kindlets seeing as I don’t know what they are.

Am brand new to the ebook game so am kinda happy just having books on my kindle for now.
Advert