Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The 3rd gen Oasis has the adjustable warm light. The earlier models don't.

But, if I compare my Paperwhite 4 to my Oasis 2, the Paperwhite has a warmer more "sepia" screen light color.

Once the various models aren't side by side it's not noticeable. We've owned a 1st gen Paperwhite, the 2nd gen, the 4th, and the 2nd gen Oasis. All except the 1st gen Paperwhite had fabulous screens, even lighting, and all made reading a pleasure.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
This time it worked...I reduced the image size.

The Paperwhite on the left is the 2nd gen. Settings for both are the same.

I see that reducing the image size made the picture grainy. Sorry...fixed it, deleted bad pic.
Are you sure the font sizes are the same? The PW2 has more text on screen then the PW4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure the font sizes are the same? The PW2 has more text on screen then the PW4.
The 2nd gen has 8 font sizes, and is set on the 4th.

The 4th gen has 14 sizes, and is set on 4 as well. I wasn't thinking about that bit, so on that one the font must be a skosh smaller.

Here is a pic with both set at the smallest font:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF17893B-337F-4822-A2E0-3F41723E0203.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	180859  
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The PW2 has 1 more line on the screen and must also be willing to use tighter spacing between words. Many of the lines have exactly the same characters on both screens. Maybe different firmware versions.

It seems strange that the lower resolution display can pack more characters in a line.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The 2nd gen has 8 font sizes, and is set on the 4th.

The 4th gen has 14 sizes, and is set on 4 as well. I wasn't thinking about that bit, so on that one the font must be a skosh smaller.

Here is a pic with both set at the smallest font:
Looks like it will take a FONT_RAMP expert to sort that out
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #21
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
Quote:
This time it worked...I reduced the image size.

The Paperwhite on the left is the 2nd gen. Settings for both are the same.

I see that reducing the image size made the picture grainy. Sorry...fixed it, deleted bad pic.
Haha. Thanks.

Other than the warmth of the screen, though, hard to see any difference. But, judging a screen from a photo seen through a lens, viewed on another screen, is almost impossible. lol. The crispness of the text looks about the same. The warm one actually looks worse than some of my old paperbacks that are 30+ years old! lol.

I was always able to adapt to any book and it's format before e-readers without any complaint or thought....maybe, for all of us including myself, we're overthinking things just a little bit. Yeah....sticking with what I have.

Thanks, folks!
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I've had all 4 Paperwhites. I still have the PW3 and PW4. I'd have the PW2 as well if the battery hadn't died. I've been happy with all of them.

I would like to warn against being guided by pictures of screens. I live in a retirement home and I've bought Kindles for a number of my neighbors and there's as much difference between two Kindles of the same model as there is between Kindles of different models. The screens vary a lot from unit to unit. They're all okay but they're all a bit different in color and that just seems to be normal for these things.

Also be wary of those who tell you one brand of ereader is noticeably better than another. I also have Kobos and Nooks and none is particularly better than any other. I prefer Kindles but that's a personal choice, not something inherent in the brand.

The fact is these things have all gotten so good that there's not a lot to choose between them.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
If you live in the US, you can get Pocketbook Readers from Newegg.
Thanks for that. I was looking into the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 or Tolino Vision HD 4.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm trying to upload a picture, but it isn't working for me again. After I select UPLOAD, I get a blank page. I'll try with Chrome.
That's exactly what happened to me in another thread. I thought my image was too large, but I don't recall ever having problems in the past.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:18 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks for that. I was looking into the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 or Tolino Vision HD 4.
If the PocketBook HD3 has the right colored screen (I don't know one way or the other) you would probably like it better than the Tolino. Its firmware seems to be more versatile, I know it has more gradations in font size, which is probably my main complaint with the Tolino – pretty big jumps in font size (and too few sizes in the "normal" range). I also don't like the blank bookmark icon always at the top, and there's no way to turn off page numbering. The PocketBook let's you use the whole page, without footers or headers, if you want. I can't speak (personally) on the build quality (one way or other) of the newer PocketBooks – the Tolinos seem really solid to me.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-23-2020 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Replaced "it's" with "its"
Old 07-23-2020, 07:25 AM   #26
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's exactly what happened to me in another thread. I thought my image was too large, but I don't recall ever having problems in the past.
It happens to me too, sometimes. Usually if I reduce the file size of the image it works. Maybe there's a file size limit for uploaded attachments?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It happens to me too, sometimes. Usually if I reduce the file size of the image it works. Maybe there's a file size limit for uploaded attachments?

Shari
There have always been size limits by file type. Maybe some have been reduced.

It looks like a lot of allowed file types have been added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	limits.png
Views:	107
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	180870  
Old 07-23-2020, 11:25 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If the PocketBook HD3 has the right colored screen (I don't know one way or the other) you would probably like it better than the Tolino. Its firmware seems to be more versatile, I know it has more gradations in font size, which is probably my main complaint with the Tolino – pretty big jumps in font size (and too few sizes in the "normal" range). I also don't like the blank bookmark icon always at the top, and there's no way to turn off page numbering. The PocketBook let's you use the whole page, without footers or headers, if you want. I can't speak (personally) on the build quality (one way or other) of the newer PocketBooks – the Tolinos seem really solid to me.
I saw that bookmark icon. I didn't know it's always onscreen.

Can you add fonts to either Tolino or Pocketbook?

Honestly, I'm not going to buy either unless I can get one for around $50. My Glowlight Plus and Clara work fine for my needs. But I do like to browse.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I saw that bookmark icon. I didn't know it's always onscreen.

Can you add fonts to either Tolino or Pocketbook?
Yes, to both.

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not going to buy either unless I can get one for around $50. My Glowlight Plus and Clara work fine for my needs. But I do like to browse.
I understand.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #30
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There have always been size limits by file type. Maybe some have been reduced.

It looks like a lot of allowed file types have been added.
Thanks! I never noticed that!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote