Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #481
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Quietly View Post
It's a fair point. But I'm curious how you think about my situation.

I used a different program that had a date field with the identical semantics of Calibre. The date field represented when the record was created in that program.

I exported that program's information to a CSV and now want to import it to Calibre.

I'd like to exactly re-hydrate the information from the other program in Calibre so that I can order by the Date column and know it represents when I added the content (which is not the same as when I read the content, in many cases that was months before the add date).

How would you suggest I create that experience in Calibre? And ideally how can I create it without having to constantly type dates in an extra field for every new book I add forever. That is just going to be really annoying. Especially when I forget to do it and a book gets "lost". So now I have to go write some kind of logic to detect missing dates and fix them.

Thoughts?
If you are doing this as an initial import, I can see doing the change.
As a 1 time work around.
Import that date into a custom column
Then use the Bulk mode Metadata Edit (MDE) S&R: to effect a copy of just those with custom dates (find: #mydatename:true) into the {date}
Backups are ALWAYS a good idea when doing bulk MDE operations

Do this using an Intake Library , ALSO SET Preferences: Adding Books: Adding actions (a tab) tick the preserve date
Once things have settled. Use the Copy TO Library (on context menu) to move TO the Target library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #482
capink
Enthusiast
capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: icarus illumina
After importing them, select all the books and choose the metadata bulk edit tool > search and replace tab:
Code:
Search field: title
Search for: (.+)
Replace with: \1

Search mode: Regular Expressions
✔ Case sensitive
Apply function after replace: Lower Case (or Title Case)
Mode: Replace Field
You can also save the above settings for easily reusing them
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #483
kcar181
kcar181 began at the beginning.

Device: none
You're the best!
kcar181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:25 AM   #484
Floating Quietly
Floating Quietly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Create a composite column with the following template:

Code:
{#custom_date:'ifempty($, field('timestamp'))'}
replace #custom_date with the name of your custom column. And choose sort column by date. This column will show the value of the #custom_date and if not found will substitute it with timestamp.
Thank you! I keep forgetting how ridiculously powerful Calibre is. I'm used to thinking of book cataloging software as being really limited. But that just doesn't apply here.

And in fact, this is actually the perfect solution for me. With my old program I only added a book when I was ready to review it. So the timestamp == review date. But I actually put ebooks into Calibre before I review them. So my date was always going to be a bit off. With this solution I can choose to set a more exact date if I want to (and will set it automatically for older books from import) or leave it empty and let it be calculated from the timestamp if I do not. This appeals to the fastidious nitpicker in me.

But I am also grateful for the pointer to the metadata bulk update. Because if I were slightly less... well me.... this would have been a very sensible solution.
Floating Quietly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #485
capink
Enthusiast
capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.capink is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Version 1.4.10
Fix: Highlighting and moving between matches in webpage tab not working with python3.
Fix: Disable automatic preview when a new file is selected, to allow users to select proper field mappings first.
Fix: Stop the tag view from updating while the progress bar is on.
Fix: Move previous and next buttons in the web tab out of the scrollarea to make them visible again.

This version is mostly fixes or minor improvements. I do not have any new features I want to add to this plugin, and I hope that eventually this version will be good enough to be released officially. So I like everyone to test this as much as they can and report any problems. If all goes well, I will contact the moderators to see what we can do about releasing it.

I tried my best when adding features not to change the original behavior of the plugin. I made an exception here by stopping the automatic preview whenever a new csv file is selected. The rationale here is that the plugin used to go into preview while the columns were mapped according to the old csv file, often putting the data in the wrong fields (It can be caught by datatype validation only if there are errors in datatypes). Now it gives the user the chance to first remap the columns either manually or using the "from headers" button, and then press preview. This is also consistent with the traditional way the plugin operates when you first open it, as it remembers the last csv file you used, but it does not preview it until the user presses the preview button. I would like to hear your feedback on whether to keep this new behavior or revert to the old one.

Last edited by capink; 07-23-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: a new version uploaded with davidfor's fix in the next post
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #486
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@capink: The search in the webpage tab is working now in Python3. But, the page source is displayed like:

Code:
b'<html class="dark prog ads" lang="en">\n <head>\n  \n  <base href="https://www.fantasticfiction.com/">\n  <title>\n   Joe Abercrombie\n  </title>\n  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n  \n </head>\n <body>\n  <div class="main" id="mainframe">\n   \n
From a quick test, line 529 in tab_webpage.py needs to be changed to:
Code:
self.source_tedit.setPlainText(unicode(raw, 'utf-8'))
That seems to work in both Python 3 and the released version.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #487
capink
Enthusiast

@davidfor: Thanks for the heads-up.

A new version with davidfor's fix is attached here. The version in the old post removed.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Import List_1.4.10.zip (133.3 KB, 9 views)

Tags
column types