Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
aquilegia
aquilegia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo forma/4th gen kindle
A way to highlight articles? (in Pocket, or some other way)

I just got a Kobo Forma and have been using Pocket to read articles, but I really wish there were a way to highlight things within articles.

A quick search suggests that
1) there is no way to do this in the Kobo+Pocket combination
2) because Pocket doesn't support highlighting anywhere, it's unlikely to happen officially in Pocket

Is #1 still accurate? I'm not sure to what extent it's possible to create workarounds in the Kobo environment.

And is there another way (not Pocket) to rig up easily sending *individual* articles to my Forma that will allow me to highlight them? Like, I don't know, sending articles via dropbox but having them go into a different folder/area than actual books do or something?
aquilegia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I prefer total control and privacy, so I copy and paste into LO Writer, sometimes as unformatted text to avoid stupid web designs.
Then make the styles good and resize images. Use an A5 or smaller custom page size so you see if there is an issue with images or tables. Maybe multiple pages, maybe multiple sites. Save in odt format to edit/add later. Then Save As in docx. I convert with Calibre.

Then I have a real ebook, proper TOC and ability to bookmark/annotate/highlight.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
aquilegia

Hmm, I'm mostly looking for convenience (I would mostly be using this to read short-ish articles.) And to some extent I have given up on being in tight control over privacy for things like this.

But I just came up with one (somewhat clunky but automated) workaround: I installed a browser extension (dotEPUB on chrome) that will save a webpage as an epub, and I saved it to the Kobo apps folder within my Dropbox folder on my computer. The folder on my computer gets synced to Dropbox automatically, and the Kobo Forma is integrated with Dropbox. I mainly did this to read an article that Pocket wasn't seeing correctly, but it would solve this problem. Except for the folders issue - I'm still not sure how much it's possible to organize things on Kobo.

Last edited by aquilegia; 12-28-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Pocket, in fact, DOES support article highlighting:

https://help.getpocket.com/article/1...ting-in-pocket

I have pointed this out to Kobo (I'm a beta tester for them) in hopes that they would allow highlighting of Pocket articles on Kobo devices, but so far they have ignored my request.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
aquilegia

Oh interesting - I hadn't really used Pocket much until now, and I was just following/quoting what I'd seen people say in a few old discussions of this.

I hope they listen at some point. I will say it's kind of an annoying change from having a Kindle where there was the "send-to-Kindle" feature which seemed more robust than what Pocket does. I think my Dropbox + dotEPUB workaround is decent for now, though.
Advert

Tags
forma, pocket