Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
JaredS
JaredS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
How to view math equations on Kindle

I have an epub that contains a lot of mathematical equations. I have tried converting it to mobi and azw3 formats but the formatting gets messed up when viewing on a Kindle. The equations are in MathML format, which does not render correctly on my Kindle. I have other eBooks that replace the markup notation with images like .svg and they work perfectly.

Is there any way to convert this to a Kindle readable format and convert the MathML sections to images?

I know there are ways to do the two separately but that would mean manually replacing hundreds of markup tags with images. It would be great if there was a simpler answer. Thanks
JaredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredS View Post
I have an epub that contains a lot of mathematical equations. I have tried converting it to mobi and azw3 formats but the formatting gets messed up when viewing on a Kindle. The equations are in MathML format, which does not render correctly on my Kindle. I have other eBooks that replace the markup notation with images like .svg and they work perfectly.

Is there any way to convert this to a Kindle readable format and convert the MathML sections to images?

I know there are ways to do the two separately but that would mean manually replacing hundreds of markup tags with images. It would be great if there was a simpler answer. Thanks
You can use MathML Cloud to convert the MathML equations to SVG.

https://mathmlcloud.org/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #3
JaredS
JaredS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I appreciate the answer but this does not address the problem I posed. No offence but did you even read the question?
JaredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont know of an automated way to do it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
KFX has some support for mathml (see the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines)
You could try to install the KFX output plugin and see what happens.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredS View Post
I appreciate the answer but this does not address the problem I posed. No offence but did you even read the question?
I did read your post. You cannot convert MathML to SVG using a Calibre conversion. That's why I gave you the solution of converting MathML to SVG that you say works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
The Kindle store maths book I have uses gif and jpg images for all the math. They scale with the text ok.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, kindle, mathml