Notices

Old 03-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Lightbulb Moon+ Pro and Calibre Integration

Hello:

Calibre Companion is under new management, and so far the first updated iOS release hasn't been exactly as expected; you may read further on the proper threads (here and here) and make your own conclusions.

With that being said, I "suspect" that I won't be using Calibre Companion as an Android tool for Calibre library access for long... so I am now looking for alternatives, such as Moon+ Pro.

So: if I were to sync my Calibre library (+14.000 eBooks) to an Android file system (internal memory or SD Card) or send them to the device with USB interface, would then Moon+ Pro be able to use Calibre metadata to search, sort or filter the eBooks using (say) title, author, tags and series?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 03-18-2020 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Minor typo correction
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
its easier than that. Moon reader can directly connect to calibre OPDS server. its almost as as good as going via the app.
there are threads somewhere ( in CC subforum) with how to do it - I used them myself. you basically have to add OPDS to the end of a URL and point moon at it
the SD card think should also work, but not a virtual drive e.g. I put pcloud onto my tablet and copied my library to pcloud but CC can't find that.
instead, i used a library copy in dropbox and the app called calibrebox from play store, for when my library pc is off ( because cc cannot authenticate with dropbox on a new tablet)
if you are stuck I will look up what OPDS settings I have in moon

edit - here from the other thread, I have a bad case of dyslexia when it comes to that server

Please note it's OPDS, not ODPS. That might help with searches.

It's built-in to the Calibre content server. Address to the feed would just have opds at the end:

http://<ip_address>:8080/opds

On Moon+, you go to Net Library >> tap on the 3 dots on upper right corner >> Add new catalog >> Calibre IP

Last edited by stumped; 03-18-2020 at 11:06 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS there's another useful app that I bought fro a different purpose, it's called foldersync and comes in free or paid versions. it will let you set up and run a 1 way or 2 way sync between calibre library on a pc ( as a shared folder) and a copy on an SD card. you run it over LAN to sync calibre updates.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....full&hl=en_GB

works very well, I was using it to mirror a database of guitarpro scores
Old 03-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
Incanus
Incanus

Stumped:

I haven't got access to cloud services/servers that would allow me to use Moon+ Calibre OPDS server connection.

With that being said, if I install mi files from Calibre to the device (memor or SD card) or sync the library to the SD Card, will Moon+ Pro be able to use Calibre metadata to search, sort or filter the eBooks using (say) title, author, tags and series?

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]
Old 03-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Stumped:

I haven't got access to cloud services/servers that would allow me to use Moon+ Calibre OPDS server connection.

With that being said, if I install mi files from Calibre to the device (memory or SD card) or sync the library to the SD Card, will Moon+ Pro be able to use Calibre metadata to search, sort or filter the eBooks using (say) title, author, tags and series?

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]
you don't need any cloud services/servers. you simple enable calibres' built in content server and that delivers OPDS / ODPS whichever is correct. I wish there was a good way to remember the spelling, I constantly muddle it

Moon builds its own database as books are opened or added to its shelf, which is how i like it - just a few in progress books. but you could force it to import the whole library from SD card to a moon reader shelf or shelves and it will pull metatdata, and cover art from the books.
experiment
NB the books themselves are not duplicated in MOOn, its database uses pointers, so addeign say 1000 books which are on SD card to the reader shelves will not take up much storage space.
i would experiment: maybe dump a single author for whom I have several books onto SD card then test all the presentation options within Moon
look at the auto import/ add to shelf options
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #6
Incanus
Incanus

Stumped:

Again, thankyou for your reply. But, even using Calibres' built in content server to connect to Moon+ Pro, will Moon+ Pro be able to acquire Calibre metadata for (say) title, author, tags and series to search, sort or filter the eBooks?

I do know I can (as you say) experiment; I'm merely asking to you (or anyone concerned, I daresay) if trying to replace Calibre Companion wit Moon+ Pro is (or not at all) an exercise in futility.

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 03-18-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Redaction change in last sentence.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

yes, because calibre adds that stuff to books, and Moon extract it.
its auto added when you convert, use save to disk, but pretty sure you can force adding it via polish/tweak plugins
please experiment, but my partial evidence comes from using calibrebox to download some of my books ( from a calibre library copy in dropbox) them opening them via "my files" in moon. All that calibre box downloads is a single file per book, to my choice of download folder ( i have it send them to books/moonreader for simplicity ) so moon is finding what it needs therein. the book information fields in moon are well populated. if I go to edit book information i see populated: title, author, description, tags
Old 03-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
if I go to edit book information i see populated: title, author, description, tags
Again, my thanks.

If I (or you or anyone else) get series and series index to work on Moon+ Pro, I'm all set.

Hopeful,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 03-18-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Extending redaction for meaning and intent clarification purposes
Old 03-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard

PS there's stuff in calibre I don't use e.g. genres , rating, publisher, ( so I can't comment no how well they get passed) but I think the design principle , for epub , is that calibre forces all the info it has on a for a book into the book as metadata. It does that when books are added and also when triggered by certain events like save to disc. other could usefully elaborate here
Old 05-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
Primus_Pilus
Supervillain Consultant
Primus_Pilus began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX 10.3, Kobo Aura ONE, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Moon builds its own database as books are opened or added to its shelf, which is how i like it - just a few in progress books. but you could force it to import the whole library from SD card to a moon reader shelf or shelves and it will pull metatdata, and cover art from the books.
experiment
NB the books themselves are not duplicated in MOOn, its database uses pointers, so addeign say 1000 books which are on SD card to the reader shelves will not take up much storage space.
i would experiment: maybe dump a single author for whom I have several books onto SD card then test all the presentation options within Moon
look at the auto import/ add to shelf options
Completely unrelated but this was EXACTLY a question I was looking to get answered regarding Moon Pro and it's import functions (just meta data and not the actual book).
Primus_Pilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #11
IDtheTarget
IDtheTarget began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Again, my thanks.

If I (or you or anyone else) get series and series index to work on Moon+ Pro, I'm all set.

Hopeful,

[INCANUS]
This thread is really old, but I thought I'd add that (at least for me), the series and series index works for me for my series' I maintain in Calibre. In Moon+ Pro, At the top left in book view, you can choose "Series" and all of the series that you put into Calibre will show. Then when you select the series you want, they're in series order.
IDtheTarget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library, meta data, moon+ pro