Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #61
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
True I was hoping this update would make my Kindle fire Self Aware.
Great, something I hadn't thought of...now I'm more disappointed...
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #62
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Anyone else notice that the notification sounds are not working.

Never mind it came back after a reboot.

Last edited by hn333; 01-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #63
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
big fix

It looks like they fixed my biggest complaint. When web history is cleared the history reappeared after a power cycle of the device. It now appears to be permanently deleted. Way to go Amazon.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
It looks like they fixed my biggest complaint. When web history is cleared the history reappeared after a power cycle of the device. It now appears to be permanently deleted. Way to go Amazon.
I never had that issue. At first I was upset because every time I cleared my history the default bookmarks came back but then I realized I had to deleted them from the bookmark panel for them to stay gone for good.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #65
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wish Amazon would spend time improving the stock reader app rather than tweaking these other things. They should at the very least bring it up to the level of the Kindle for iOS app.

One of my major complaints is still the cheesy way in which you select text. The way in which this occurs in the KF makes it nearly impossible to accurately select text as it is very difficult to see where your finger is in relation to the text being selected. It should show the selection popup above your finger so you can see exactly what you are selecting, but it is shown in such a manner as to make it very difficult to easily select your desired text. Apple does this beautifully, not sure why the KF cannot. Also, don't dare move your finger a micron if you want to select a single word for the dictionary or else you will accidentally select a line or two. I prefer a double-tap method for selecting a single word as it is more accurate and not as easy to screw up.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-20-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #66
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I finally got the update OTA.
This time i wanted to see how long it took to get. Last time i manually did it.
Tried everything but nothing. I left wifi on all the time even when putting to sleep at night.
i believe it needs to be plugged in and charged and synched and then you do a shutdown and when restarted it sends the request. I didn't even see it updating in the Background but when i checked it was 6.2.2
It took 2 days for me after the announcement of the new ger.

Haven't noticed anything major yet.
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #67
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
I finally got the update OTA.
This time i wanted to see how long it took to get. Last time i manually did it.
Tried everything but nothing. I left wifi on all the time even when putting to sleep at night.
i believe it needs to be plugged in and charged and synched and then you do a shutdown and when restarted it sends the request. I didn't even see it updating in the Background but when i checked it was 6.2.2
It took 2 days for me after the announcement of the new ger.

Haven't noticed anything major yet.
It needs to be at over 40% charge, doesn't not need to be plugged in, WiFi does need to be on.

You can also tell it to ask for the update by doing a sync when all of those conditions are met, wait about 10 seconds after polling for the sync, and then just press the power button to turn it off. Walk away and come back later, and it should be updated.

It all depends upon the speed of your connect. Here at my house our speeds vary between 20-100Mbit, so it's usually a matter of just a few minutes before it reboots and is finished with the OTA update.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #68
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Morpheus... Shut down turn off or sleep turn off?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #69
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I did not turn the KF completely off, I just put it to sleep and chilled for awhile.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #70
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Sleep turn off. A shut down turn off completely powers down the device, which would make it impossible for it to receive any data or to perform any functions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I did not turn the KF completely off, I just put it to sleep and chilled for awhile.
Bingo. Depending on net connection speeds it can take a variable amount of time, but with mine it has been pretty quick.
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #71
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
@bjones6416
How can I block the update from happening automatically? I've been FAPPED twice on Hughes Net for going over our 200 MB per day limit because of this.
It costs me $5 to get unFAPPED each time.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
@bjones6416
How can I block the update from happening automatically? I've been FAPPED twice on Hughes Net for going over our 200 MB per day limit because of this.
It costs me $5 to get unFAPPED each time.
Go to a free WiFi Spot and or a friend's house and download the update there. If they don't have WiFi just manually update via USB. Other then keeping WiFi off there is no way to block it.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #73
salsaguy
Addict

Is the 6.2.2 update really that large??
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Is the 6.2.2 update really that large??
It's 183MB with their 200MB download limit yes it's would take the over their limit.

I can't imagine having that small of download bandwidth. I though 350GB a month was too small.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #75
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Gotta say, I love this question. No, don't shut down. And when Morpheus gives you a choice of "sleep turn off" via blue pill...
Take the RED pill!
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote