Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 12:10 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Attn plugin devs: porting to python 3

calibre will be migrating from Python 2 to Python 3 sometime next year. Migration of the calibre codebase itself is more or less complete, for instance, I personally use the Python 3 version as my daily driver.

calibre plugins will need to be ported to python 3 for that transition. To make that easier I have uploaded beta builds of calibre with python 3.8 that you can use to test your plugins. On windows, you should probably use the portable version so as not to disturb your main calibre install. Betas are available at:

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

The best way forward is to make your plugins be single source python 2 and 3 compatible. This way, your plugins will continue to work with older as well as future calibre releases. Of course, depending on the details of what your plugins do, this may or may not be possible.

The official guide for making python code 2 and 3 compatible is here: https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html (Please use Modernize rather than Futurize to port your plugin code if you are porting it automatically).

calibre itself has done this and there exists the polyglot module in calibre to aid with making code work on both python versions (think of it as a lightweight version of six). six itself is also available, so you can use that if you prefer.

Note that if you install the betas and also use CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM, change your calibre source code checkout to the py3 branch, not master, with

Code:
git pull && git checkout py3
If you have questions, I will be happy to help as much as possible.

And a big thank you to @eschwartz for doing a lot of the python 3 porting work.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-17-2019 at 11:17 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:02 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yay!

On the porting front, you'll need to decide how many old versions of calibre you're trying to support. The popular six.py library is pretty available in calibre, since it's a dependency of dateutil and thus calibre has always (indirectly) used it:

calibre 1.48.0 -- 2.15.0: six 1.4.1
calibre 2.16.0 -- 2.85.0: six 1.7.2
calibre 3.0.0 -- current: six 1.10.0

A Kovid said, the polyglot module, internal to calibre, provides some compat layers as well, starting with calibre 3.32 you have:

Code:
from polyglot.builtins import is_py3, reraise, zip, map, filter, iteritems, iterkeys, itervalues
from polyglot.urllib import urlopen, urlencode
And lots more with later versions (primarily 3.41 and on), we can help you figure out what versions have what (if you need it).

Some previous discussion has occurred on the topic:

Python 2 to Python 3, Polyglot & Plugins
Python 3, Polyglot & @six.wraps

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-17-2019 at 01:07 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2019, 01:21 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Note that on Linux you may have existing options for running on python3:

If you are using Arch Linux, I'm the distro maintainer there, and for a couple of releases I've provided split packages for "calibre" and "calibre-python3". You can toggle between the two, if you have both installed, using the helper command
Code:
calibre-alternatives
Fedora exclusively provides a python3 build of calibre due to the deprecation of python2 itself.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
I tried changing one of my plugins.

1) Got an error about translations when trying to add the plugin. Is this working as usual?
Spoiler:

calibre, version 4.99.0
ERRO: Exceção sem tratamento: <b>AttributeError</b>:'GNUTranslations' object has no attribute 'ungettext'

calibre 4.99 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 3.8.0
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', '')
Interface language: pt_BR
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "plugins.py", line 319, in add_plugin
File "ui.py", line 472, in add_plugin
File "ui.py", line 61, in load_plugin
File "zipplugin.py", line 202, in load
File "__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1014, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 991, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 975, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 655, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 618, in _load_backward_compatible
File "zipplugin.py", line 184, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.Skoob_Sync.__init__", line 10, in <module>
File "zipplugin.py", line 114, in load_translations
AttributeError: 'GNUTranslations' object has no attribute 'ungettext'

Removing 'load_translations' function let me install the plugin. But... I couldn't add it to the toolbar. So, I went to Preferences > Plugins and tried to configure it. Got a message saying I need to restart calibre after trying to configure it. I restarted calibre and even the computer, but got no luck.

Any hints?

Last edited by thiago.eec; 12-17-2019 at 07:04 AM.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The error in load_translations is indeed a bug. As for its not being added even when you remove the call to load_translations(), run calibre in debug ode and you should get a more detailed error.
Advert
Old 12-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the plugin is added fine. No error.
But it won't load. It keeps giving me this message to restart calibre, when I try to configure it via Preferences > Plugins > Customize Plugin.

I've converted my code to be py2/py3 compatible using futurize, as suggested by the link you posted. But, it won't load in calibre 4.6 either. In this case, it gives me errors about non existent modules (future, builtins, etc).

Another plugin was added fine, and I can even configure it via Preferences > Plugins > Customize Plugin. But I can add it to the toolbar (it is just not there for me to select).

To be completely honest, I'm a novice in python and code in general. I guess I'll wait for the pros to convert their plugins and I will check how it was done later.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Again, can you run calibre using the terminal command line with the command
Code:
calibre-debug -g
and post the error log?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
32-bit Win10 4.99 ImportError: cannot import name 'comments_to_html'

Py3 32-bit Win10 4.99 (a separate install from Py2 64-bit Win10 4.6, which still works perfectly).

First time failed with: ImportError: cannot import name 'comments_to_html' from 'calibre.library.comments' (C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\\app\pylib.zip\calibre\library\comm ents.pyc)

Code:
 calibre 4.99  embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
Python 3.8.0
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', '')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Audit Log (1, 0, 13) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 8) && Author Book Count Hierarchy (1, 2, 1) && CalibreSpy (1, 0, 76) && Consolidate All Library Metadata (2, 0, 33) && Count Pages (1, 9, 0) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 9) && English Noun Frequency (1, 0, 10) && Entities Manager (1, 0, 11) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && Job Spy (1, 0, 169) && Library Codes (1, 0, 41) && Library Splitter (1, 0, 1) && Media File Importer (1, 0, 21) && Modify ePub (1, 4, 0) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 77) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && QuarantineAndScrub (3, 6, 105) && Reading List (1, 6, 6) && Resize Cover (1, 0, 2) && User Category (1, 5, 3) && View Manager (1, 4, 3) && Zotero Metadata Importer (1, 0, 61)
Registering with default programs...
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 95.6235294117647 x 95.58188153310104
Using calibre Qt style: True
Registered with default programs in 2.0 seconds
  File "runpy.py", line 192, in _run_module_as_main
  File "runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
  File "site.py", line 89, in <module>
  File "site.py", line 84, in main
  File "site.py", line 55, in run_entry_point
  File "debug.py", line 277, in main
  File "gui_launch.py", line 73, in calibre
  File "main.py", line 557, in main
  File "main.py", line 384, in run_gui
  File "<frozen zipimport>", line 259, in load_module
  File "ui.py", line 42, in <module>
  File "init.py", line 20, in <module>
  File "book_details.py", line 19, in <module>
  File "render.py", line 16, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'comments_to_html' from 'calibre.library.comments' (C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\\app\pylib.zip\calibre\library\comments.pyc)
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Works fine for me:

Code:
calibre-debug -c "from calibre.library.comments import comments_to_html; print(comments_to_html.__module__); import sys; print(sys.version_info)"
calibre.library.comments
sys.version_info(major=3, minor=8, micro=0, releaselevel='final', serial=0)

Remember if you are using CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM you cannot use the same one for both python 2 and python 3
Old 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Again, can you run calibre using the terminal command line with the command calibre-debug -g and post the error log?
Ok. So to be more explicit about what I did:

1) I used
Code:
futurize --stage1 -w script.py
and
Code:
futurize --stage 2 -w script.py
on all my .py files. Although this was what I could get out the link pointed, I suspect there is a lot more to do than this.

2) Then, I tried to add the modified plugins ACE and SKOOB SYNC.
P.S.: I've attached the plugins created like this.

For calibre 4.6, here is the log:
Spoiler:

calibre 4.6 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: pt_BR
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 25, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 25, 0) && ScrambleEbook (0, 4, 1) && Skoob Books (1, 3, 1) && EpubMerge (2, 7, 0) && Goodreads Sync (1, 12, 1) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 35, 0) && KFX Output (1, 35, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 3) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 25, 0) && KFX Input (1, 25, 0) && Skoob Sync (0, 2, 9) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 5) && TTS to MP3 (0, 1, 3) && Goodreads (1, 4, 0) && LanguageTool (0, 1, 0) && Count Pages (1, 9, 0) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 5) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && ACE (1, 0, 8) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 1) && EpubSplit (2, 8, 0)
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 120.0 x 120.0
physicalDpi: 141.76744186 x 141.402061856
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.00] Showing splash screen...
[0.55] splash screen shown
[0.55] Initializing db...
[0.59] db initialized
[0.59] Constructing main UI...
PyQt5.QtWebKitWidgets.QWebView failed
PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets.QWebEngineView failed
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 157, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 171, in init_iaction
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\__init__.py", line 612, in load_actual_plugin
File "importlib\__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 185, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.Skoob_Sync.ui", line 5, in <module>
ImportError: No module named future
EpubMerge: DEBUG: 2019-12-17 12:25:45,299: calibre_plugins.epubmerge.epubmerge_plugin(154): macmenuhack file_path:C:\Users\go_th\AppData\Roaming\calibre\p lugins\fanficfare_macmenuhack.txt
DEBUG: 0.0 HttpHelper::__init__: proxy=None
[3.16] main UI initialized...
[3.16] Hiding splash screen
[3.64] splash screen hidden
[3.64] Started up in 3.64 seconds with 981 books

The ACE plugin works fine on 4.6 .
As for the SKOOB SYNC, it gives the error shown on the log above. If I go to Preferences > Plugins, it is there, but when I try to configure it, it keep telling me to restart, even if I've already done it:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 4.6.0
ERROR: Must restart: You must restart calibre before you can configure the <b>Skoob Sync</b> plugin

As for the log for calibre 4.99, how can do it with calibre-portable? There is no calibre-debug in calibre-portable folder.

When I try to add plugins manually on 4.99, this happens:

1) SKOOB SYNC: It is successfully added. But I can't add it to the toolbar. And when try to configure, it tells to restart, as also happens with 4.6.

2) ACE: It is successfully added. I can configure it via Preferences > Plugins > Customize Plugins. But I can't add it to the toolbar, and so can't use.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ACE.zip (101.3 KB, 351 views)
File Type: zip Skoob_Sync.zip (221.4 KB, 374 views)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #11
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use no Calibre environment variables whatsoever.

I executed: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre-debug" -g
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

WARNING: DO NOT USE 'python-futurize'.

Personally, I don't like futurize because it embeds tons of goop which makes everything depend on the futurize module at runtime. This is problematic for calibre, because your plugin cannot depend on futurize being installed in calibre!

See for details: https://python-future.org/faq.html#w...thon-modernize

tl;dr Use python-modernize, it can help you update your code to use pythonic idioms which work well on both python2 and python3. The only dependency it will add is to the six module, which is okay, because calibre guarantees that six is available.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

@thiago.eec

You can get a debug log by using:

Preferences -> Restart in debug mode

It will create a text file containing the debug log, IIRC.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Use python-modernize, it can help you update your code to use pythonic idioms which work well on both python2 and python3. The only dependency it will add is to the six module, which is okay, because calibre guarantees that six is available.
Ok. I'll try that, then.

Quote:
@thiago.eec

You can get a debug log by using:

Preferences -> Restart in debug mode

It will create a text file containing the debug log, IIRC.
After using your advice above, I'll try again and post the log. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@DaltonST: Likely one of those plugins is causing the issue them, run calibre as

calibre --ignore-plugins