Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #106
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Everyone of those features are what I look for. Hundreds of books read and never a single thought too “I wonder how they are handling CSS”. Never. Not once.

I am constantly adjusting the brightness I’m the mornings and evenings as the ambient light changes....so the ability to easily do so is high in my list.

I tap either side to “go forward” as far and away that’s what I want to do. But the upper right tap zone I have set to go back. Very convenient.

I love to read series...so it’s important for me that I can browse by series.

Getting books into the app is also very important. Obviously Kindle and iNooks are easiest...but they don’t have the other features that are important to me.

FBReader Network is very easy and convenient for loading books. If I open a book on my iPhone...when I switch to my Tablet, I’ll be promoted to download it. Very convenient. And the ability to sync across iOS and Android is THE feature that had me switch from Marvin in the first place.

I’ve heard you gripe for years over CSS support..,and I’m fairly certain that NONE of the options does what you want.

Fortunately for me, it hasn’t negatively impacted my enjoyment of reading.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #107
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Thanks for these inputs. Making note of these and will check out and come back with feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
AFAIK, best Android ebook readers are FB Reader (From FB Reader, not others with same name) and Moon+Reader Pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Seems son. This one:

https://fbreader.org/android

Be careful because there are some other versions from others. This one, for me, is the best because has version for Android and iOS and synchronize between them.

And yes, it is not the most beautiful or ergonomic ebook reader, but is the one that has less issues in Android.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I use it all the time for ePub books that I buy from amazon and liberate with Calibre. Works great for my use case. The iOS/Android combo is the main feature, but it handles series, is easy to load books, syncs great between devices, adjusts brightness by dragging finger on page...and multiple zone forward reverse taps that are configurable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Any reader that doesn't religiously adhere to CSS is crap per JSWolf.

Personally, I intentionally strip most of the publisher formatting from fiction and am quite happy using readers that JSWolf has deemed to be crap. I used to read on a 3.5" iPhone so fancy layouts don't translate well on that anyway and that habit has carried over even on bigger displays.

Technical books where formatting is essential, I tend to read on PDF with GoodReader (iPad).
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:32 AM   #108
wellesradio
wellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavenswellesradio is a rising star in the heavens

Device: apple ipad (3rd generation)
Man, I miss Marvin. Wish it had a way to add images to annotations.
wellesradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:10 AM   #109
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellesradio View Post
Mmmm… AFAIK no ebook reader software allows that, not even specialized PDF viewers.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #110
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellesradio View Post
No need to “miss Marvin”… it’s still here… I use it every day!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #111
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Just installed iPadOS 15 Beta on a spare device (iPad 7th gen). From my limited use, Marvin seems to work same as it does on iPadOS 14, bugs and all.

With that said, I'm finding the new Safari to be very, very annoying.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Just installed iPadOS 15 Beta on a spare device (iPad 7th gen). From my limited use, Marvin seems to work same as it does on iPadOS 14, bugs and all.

Try Firefox instead of Safari.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #113
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got over my love of Stanza and then Marvin. Now it's FBReader which is on iOS and Android. I can't even remember what it was about Marvin I loved anymore.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #114
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:

Any estimate on iPadOS 15 release date??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:28 AM   #115
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Any estimate on iPadOS 15 release date??
Stable? Probably September. They usually time major iOS updates alongside the new iPhone's release.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I got over my love of Stanza and then Marvin. Now it's FBReader which is on iOS and Android. I can't even remember what it was about Marvin I loved anymore.
FBReader is lousy. It's all flash and no substance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:19 AM   #117
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Good to know
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #118
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
FBReader is lousy. It's all flash and no substance.
I've listened to your criticisms about font handling and epub esoterica. They have just NEVER been a factor for me. I buy books from Amazon, I liberate them, I read them in FBreader. No problems whatsoever.

What I like about FBReader.
  • Works on both iOS and Android devices
  • Syncs well between all devices
  • Configurable tap zones...I have 5 of the 6 zones for forwrd and 1 for backward
  • Finger drag to change brightness/dimness easily
  • FBReader Network - uses google drive, super easy to load and download books
  • Supports series meta data for organization
  • Doesn't have the best color presets, but totally configurable to come up with your own comfortable reading colors
Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #119
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I've listened to your criticisms about font handling and epub esoterica. They have just NEVER been a factor for me. I buy books from Amazon, I liberate them, I read them in FBreader. No problems whatsoever.

What I like about FBReader.
  • Works on both iOS and Android devices
  • Syncs well between all devices
  • Configurable tap zones...I have 5 of the 6 zones for forwrd and 1 for backward
  • Finger drag to change brightness/dimness easily
  • FBReader Network - uses google drive, super easy to load and download books
  • Supports series meta data for organization
  • Doesn't have the best color presets, but totally configurable to come up with your own comfortable reading colors
These are all the features that make me love FBreader. It's the best reader for iOS.

Marvin is nice too, but the biggest bug is the portrait/landscape rotation bug (rotate the book and suddenly you're on a different page, many pages away from where you were). I switched to FBreader and never looked back.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #120
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
These are all the features that make me love FBreader. It's the best reader for iOS.

Marvin is nice too, but the biggest bug is the portrait/landscape rotation bug (rotate the book and suddenly you're on a different page, many pages away from where you were). I switched to FBreader and never looked back.
Marvin was my favorite after Stanza died. Then Marvin stopped being developed and was never cross platform. FBReader ticks all my boxes.