Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 11:21 PM   #526
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Great, that's what we'll go with for February.

ETA: And an added plus- with the month, it's so alliterative!

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-01-2021 at 12:09 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #527
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little past the usual time for it, but:

It's time for choosing March's topic!

All ideas are appreciated; just post! We're very flexible with our monthly topic; it can be a topic, theme, category or whatever else. This can also be collaborative so any little kernel of an idea or direction is great.

So what ideas do you have?
Old 02-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #528
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

One idea I had is something food related, maybe to be called 'Feast & Famine'. This topic might include any book with some type of food or drink as a plot point or in its title, which there's a large variety of books that would fit that alone, but also it might be a book that has something to do with eating, drinking, feasting, hunger, thirst, starvation or famine, any of which could be as a plot point or in a title.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #529
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I love the idea of something food related.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #530
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Terrific, we'll go with that for March then. I got the idea because I'm currently almost done reading one of last month's nominations, Sourdough. I won't nominate that one again since it was just done but it did make me think how many books have foods in their titles or plots.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:28 PM   #531
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would you recommend Sourdough now that you’ve read it? I’ve been thinking about reading it too.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #532
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I just finished. It could have been an interesting book to discuss and dissect but I wouldn't particularly recommend it unless you happen to be especially interested, although it is a short and quick read. It was light, fluffy, fun and creative in parts but it was also scattershot and silly in parts, and while I was happy that the latter half was unpredictable (the first half had me thinking I pretty much knew what the rest of the story would be, and I was wrong), it was so all over the place and some things happened so suddenly that the book went off the rails. I will say this though, the book had me really craving sourdough bread!
Old 03-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #533
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It's time for choosing April's topic!

Here's a suggestion: 'Bookworms'

This could be books about books, readers, librarians, scholars, students, authors, etc. There's a lot to choose from!

If there are no objections, we can use that for April coming up in a few days and be ready for another discussion we have coming up.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #534
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

It's with a heavy heart that I'm announcing the lit club will be winding down with this month, May, as our last. Some of you may have gathered as much from the book clubs future discussion thread but this is making it official.

May also marks ten full years of the lit club and one complete decade down is a great time to go. We started way back in June of 2011; it's been quite a ride! I hope a lot of you have enjoyed it along the way too and that it brought some bit of added value into people's lives.

Thanks so much to everyone who participated through the years and helped to make it a success. You've all been wonderful. The final nominations thread will be up soon.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #535
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your decade of commitment to the book club, sun surfer. It’s been a pleasurable experience, and I will miss it. I’ve learned so much about literature and have enjoyed meeting and discussing books with like-minded members across the globe. It really brought me out of my comfort zone of reading genres and expanded my critical thinking skills when reading literature. It would take more than a lifetime to work my way through all the books and authors I’ve added to my TBR through the club. Thank you again to all who participated through the years!
Old 05-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #536
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Thanks, Bookworm_Girl! The club wouldn't have been as enjoyable and would've never lasted as long as it did without your support so thanks for sticking around all these years.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #537
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's with a heavy heart that I'm announcing the lit club will be winding down with this month, May, as our last. Some of you may have gathered as much from the book clubs future discussion thread but this is making it official.

May also marks ten full years of the lit club and one complete decade down is a great time to go. We started way back in June of 2011; it's been quite a ride! I hope a lot of you have enjoyed it along the way too and that it brought some bit of added value into people's lives.

Thanks so much to everyone who participated through the years and helped to make it a success. You've all been wonderful. The final nominations thread will be up soon.
Sun,

I've not been able to be as active as I wanted to over the years - the joys of being a public servant! But you have always run this club in a most professional and pleasant way. I appreciate your dedication and can't wait to keep talking about books with you in other places!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #538
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Sun,

I've not been able to be as active as I wanted to over the years - the joys of being a public servant! But you have always run this club in a most professional and pleasant way. I appreciate your dedication and can't wait to keep talking about books with you in other places!
Thank you so much, ash! It's so easy for life to get in the way but it's been a pleasure the times that you could be here.