Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
Opera desktop web browser now free

After getting quite a bit of publicity last month by offering registration codes for free during its 10th anniversary bash, Opera has decided that free is here to stay!

The new version (8.5) of it's browser for desktop PC is now completely free and devoid of integrated advertising that was a part of it's 'lite' or 'ad-sponsored' non-registered version of the past.

The company stated that the purpose is not to combat the opensourced Firefox browser but is all about marketshare... It added that being number one is a near impossibility, so it's stated goal is to be number two.

http://www.opera.com/
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Thumbs up Terrific!

That's great news! I think I'm going to use Opera as my main browser for a few days, see how it stacks up. One thing I can see already is that it uses significantly less memory than Firefox. It also feels snappier and the full-screen works better (at least by default).
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Laurens I have been running Opera (on Win XP) for the past few weeks and unfortunately it seems to have the same problem memory leaks like Firefox and IE. Especially if you are regularly loading image-intensive content, it's not unusual to see physical memory usage to go up 100MB+.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote