Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
FDPuthuff
Avid Learner
FDPuthuff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Cool MS Word Header Styles Conversion to EPUB

This question is in general, not about a specific document.
My 'document' is completely formatted using Styles in MS Word.

I am trying to figure out how to set up a style, so it gets converted into a header style in the EPUB file. As Headers are the only thing that get brought into the TOC in Sigil.
Attached is the Style setup I currently have.
Can this be achieved during the conversion, or do I need to fix it in Sigil?
Thanx for the assist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chapter_Style.png
Views:	133
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	183606  
FDPuthuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What format are you converting?

If you save as DOCX and convert it using the default settings, then calibre should convert the Word header styles one-for-one i.e. Word Style Heading 1 becomes <h1… >, Word Style Heading 2 becomes <h2…> etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I had a very similar problem, although it was with Writer, not Word. I found that if I made a new style based on Header 1, header 2, etc., it was ignored during conversion. I had to actually modify the existing Header 1 or 2 style, rather than make a new one. I think the conversion looks for "Header 1" only and specifically, so if I had a "Header 1a", it was ignored as a header.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can make a new style from scratch in Writer, or Word. But a new style by default is body text level. You need to go to the part of the style definition and set it to Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 etc.

I tend now to use Level 2 for chapters and then there is no Level 1 unless there are higher level sections, parts or volumes than the chapter.
If it's an omnibus edition, then chapters can be even Level 3 if a book in the Omnibus has parts.
The Title is body text level unless it's an omnibus edition. Anything that's not in the TOC/NCX should be body level.

Additionally I have a user embedded Contents in eBooks. I make it like this:
1) Insert Index, but edit template so there are no page numbers
2) Cut it all and paste in a text editor
3) Copy it back and apply a suitable style.
4) Put an anchor (bookmark) at the start of each heading that is in the Contents in the body of the book. Word may let you select a range, but don't. Just click at start of line.
5) Select line of contents and then command to insert link. Use the bookmark name with # prefix rather than using Document properties.

Go properties and check title, details, fonts embedded.
Save As an extra copy as docx if using Writer, never edit docx in Writer, use odt.
Import docx to Calibre (or use Sigil). Convert to epub even if you want mobi.
Tablet mode for page, assuming the images are done properly.
View in Calibre (make sure it's not set to save bookmarks in the epub!). Verify the system NCX is correct and all the links work.
Verify all the links ALSO work in the Contents page you made.
Then the epub is fine for Amazon KDP. Remove the docx so when you make any other format, it's made from the epub. Like dual mobi to test on your own kindle or upload to Smashwords AS WELL AS the epub. You also need to Save As a Doc from Word or Writer for formats on Smashwords other than Kindle and epub.
Use epub for Amazon and Google.
Smashwords will distribute the epub you uploaded to Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble etc (basically all except Amazon and Google).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can make a new style from scratch in Writer, or Word. But a new style by default is body text level. You need to go to the part of the style definition and set it to Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 etc.
Ah, that's under Outline Level. Of course. I'll give this a try next time I want a couple-three custom header styles. Thanks!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert