Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
calibre shutting down message: odd location

I noticed after the last 2 updates that whenever I closed down calibre, the window did seem to expand somehow. Via a capture I could see there was a new message "Shutting down", which is in itself correct but hardly visible.

Why is it located in that new odd location for such a brief time and for instance not in the lower left info bar? Does it also indicate something else which is shutting down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre.png
Views:	240
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	147756  
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think this is referring to the Content Server shutting down
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That is meant to happen. The "shutting down" message is meant to assure you that calibre is indeed trying to shut down, even though e.g. the content server can take a while to shutdown, holding calibre open in the process.

I guess it makes sense to display that message front and center.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is meant to happen. The "shutting down" message is meant to assure you that calibre is indeed trying to shut down, even though e.g. the content server can take a while to shutdown, holding calibre open in the process.

If you're not like me, that I've seen a bigger zone when calibre is closing but I haven't tried to check what there's in that zone.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If calibre is minimised when you close it, you'll miss out on seeing the 'closing down' message (unless you Restore or Maximise it) which IMO is a good thing.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It's not minimised but full screen. I don't pay attention, however.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
True, but its new and is an odd and novel way to do it. Most apps that feel the need to display such a message (e.g. when shutdown may take a while and they feel the need to acknowledge that action is being taken, ...) they do it in a new popup window.

The new, novel behavior is a bit unsettling at first. The main UI jumps down and a wide band appears between the button bar and the main UI. In this wide bar there is simply a very small message. Even on my somewhat slow Window8.1 tablet the message doesn't appear long enough to read, at least the first few times you see the startling new UI behavior. It was only after I'd seen it several times and became confident that it wasn't some odd failure that I noticed the message. Until then, my concentration always followed the book list down to its new position. The message location doesn't attract attention and thus fails to be a good design.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Slightly

What about shutting down the CLI version of server. I just close (the minimized) window. I tried ctrl-C, Ctrl-D, ctrl-Z in the server command window
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you dont run the content server or any db shutdown plugins then the message will be visible only very briefly, otherwise it can be useful as shutdown can take arbitrary amounts of time. I have made it an overlay which should make it much less disruptive.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Slightly

What about shutting down the CLI version of server. I just close (the minimized) window. I tried ctrl-C, Ctrl-D, ctrl-Z in the server command window
I would guess the calibre-server task doesn't listen to the keyboard. I've not figured out how to resolve this 'which one is which' dilemma - not that I've tried very hard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	147768

Fortunately I run ConEmu as my 'real console.

Maybe the new server will run as a service with a controller in the tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
True, but its new and is an odd and novel way to do it. Most apps that feel the need to display such a message (e.g. when shutdown may take a while and they feel the need to acknowledge that action is being taken, ...) they do it in a new popup window.
The ones I can think of use a balloon message rather than a traditional popup window - but do all the supported platforms have such things and does Qt support them?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-11-2016 at 09:35 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ctrl-C works on all OSes other than windows and Ctrl-C will work on windows as well in the new server.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Slightly

I run it (on linux) as a systemd service, so it isn't in any window (or dropdown, actually).

Code:
systemctl start|stop|status calibre-server
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I just installed the new v2.55 on both my Win10 desktop box and my Win8.1 tablet. The new shutdown message looks good. Its a nice fix, thanks Kovid.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Yes, I really like the overlay better.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad to hear it