Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Scribd Android app audiobook issues.

Here's part of an email I just sent to Scribd support.
Any one else seeing similar issues or have any soutions?

----

The addition of audiobooks to the Scribd service is a welcome and
compelling new feature, and the initial selection of books is very
good.

However, using the Scribd Android app makes the audiobooks almost unusable.

In addition to occasional crashing, the app never seems to remember
where I left off in a book, usually taking me back several chapters or
all the way to the beginning.

Also, very often the pause controls, especially on the lock screen,
are totally unresponsive, and even when it does pause, the app tends
to then start playing again spontaneously on its own.

Please tell me a serious update to the app is soon coming?

ETA: I just got a quick, polite reply suggesting I uninstall and re-install the app. We'll see how it goes from there.

Last edited by ApK; 11-24-2014 at 01:56 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work for me.

I still get a stop at the end of every chapter. Or maybe a long pause. The other day, a chapter ended, and I was picking up the kids from school. I didn't touch the phone and left the earbuds in. 15 or 20 minutes later, the next chapter started! I kid you not. It was bizarre.

And if I leave the app, it doesn't remember where I was and starts back at the beginning.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I didn't have problems with the Android app, but I'm having lots of them with the iPhone app.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work for me.

I still get a stop at the end of every chapter. Or maybe a long pause. The other day, a chapter ended, and I was picking up the kids from school. I didn't touch the phone and left the earbuds in. 15 or 20 minutes later, the next chapter started! I kid you not. It was bizarre.

And if I leave the app, it doesn't remember where I was and starts back at the beginning.
Didn't help me either.
I'll continue with support.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
ApK

New update of the Scribd Android app arrived last night.
Haven't tested it out yet, but all fixes are welcome!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I didn't realize. I had to uninstall a bunch of things, but finally got Scribd updated. When I went to return to my audio book, it picked up where I had stopped! So that's an improvement. Now to see if the chapter end pause is fixed.

I've got a new phone ordered with more space.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

The update completely fixed the issues I was having with Scribd audio books! It's wonderful, now!

Though I do still have issues with sometimes not wanting to download a book. Stopping the app and restarting it will usually fix that.

I am listening to the multi author Immortals series. On book 4, now. It's great!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
ApK

That update fixed the most egregious problem of not remembering where I left off.

The controls still give me issues. The various pause controls seem to work only intermittently, and I've had my book spontaneously start playing in the background several times.

But it has, for me at least, gone from 'unusable' to merely 'glitchy.'
Hopefully it will continue to improve before my subscription expires.

My wife also noticed that the Scribd copy of the audiobook "Cat Deck the Halls" is only the first three hours of what should be a ten hour audiobook.

Support is looking into that for us, but I wonder if anyone else has seen an issue with a title not being complete?

ApK
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes I had an audio book that was missing 3/4 of a chapter.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
seanma
seanma began at the beginning.

Device: Android
how can you listen to scribd audiobooks? it's something short of a scam... NINE dollars a month, you CAN'T download 'em and they're ALL encoded at 32kbps, the crappiest bit rate ever... if you like listening to a phone-induced voice, enjoy. Otherwise, find cheaper alternatives: living in europe and not having a credit card to buy items with, i opted for www.audiobooksnow.com: their pricing plans are honest and affordable, and the selection is wide (blackstone, tantor, RB, penguin and many others... of course the titles directly produced by audible studios are not included, but hey, you can't have everything, can you?
seanma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I was a member of Scribd for quite some time. Yes I did download the audio books and listen to them off line in the Scribd Android app.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
seanma
seanma began at the beginning.

Device: Android
i meant downloading em in the hard memory. i don't care being 'tied' by an app... i want files i'm able to move as i see fit between devices.

i still don't understand however how can you stand the 32k bitrate. have you ever listen to an audiobook encoded at 96 kbps or even 80? now i hope for you you'll never, cos you would be forced to "toss in the trash", in disgust, every scribd title you have (it seems you have arleady discontinued subscription)
seanma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
ApK

I found no problem with the audio quality of scribds books. It doesn't sound anything like what you describe. And being tied to the app is not unreasonable with time-limited borrowed content, though I wish it wasn't so.
However, the new credit model makes it far less attractive, so we're cancelling our subscription next month.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanma View Post
i meant downloading em in the hard memory. i don't care being 'tied' by an app... i want files i'm able to move as i see fit between devices.
You can't legally do it. Scribd and/or the publishers won't allow it.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanma View Post

i still don't understand however how can you stand the 32k bitrate. have you ever listen to an audiobook encoded at 96 kbps or even 80? now i hope for you you'll never, cos you would be forced to "toss in the trash", in disgust, every scribd title you have (it seems you have arleady discontinued subscription)
I have no idea what you mean. I listened to my Scribd books on an LG Volt phone and they all sounded fine to me. I probably listened to 100 of them.

Yes I am done with Scribd. Between the library and the discounted whispersync-for-voice titles at Amazon, I have plenty to listen to.