Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the Popup?
Yes 5 62.50%
No 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
metadata window popup when adding books

Is there any way of disabling the metadata window popup in this new version of Calibre? It just....annoys me for some reason. You just sit there and look at it and wait for the book to be loaded. tick tick tick. It's like one of those sites where you have to wait for the countdown to download something.

If not, then I appreciate all your efforts for everything you do with Calibre.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You can't usually do anything else (safely) in Calibre while DB changes are being done, so it shows the progress dialog.
You could use the Auto-Add folder, that waits for a user-gap to insert the next book (it inserts 1 at a time)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Release: 2.3 [11 Sep, 2014]
"Get Books: When downloading books show a popup message telling the user that the books will be added to the calibre library automatically, to help new users understand what is happening. The popup message can be disabled."

THIS is what I want to know. How do you disable it?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Looking at the code, there should be a checkbox in the popup that prevents the message from being displayed again.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

changing from weekly to instant email notification...
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Looking at the code, there should be a checkbox in the popup that prevents the message from being displayed again.
If there is, I don't see it.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
If there is, I don't see it.
Running calibre 2.12, I see the following dialog. If I uncheck the box then I don't see the dialog any more.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	247
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	131738

I have no explanation for why you would see something else.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Probably because he's referring to the popup that asks for permission to proceed with updating metadata after a download metadata job completes. And as theducks already explained, that notification cannot be disabled, for reasons that have been explained many many times on this forum.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

I'm running 64 bit and I don't get that window.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
I'm running 64 bit and I don't get that window.
Are you actually running Get Books, or are you as Kovid suggested running Download Metadata?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

That dialog has nothing to do with Get Books. The change log entry does not apply.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

And as I said Kovid - thank you for all you do. But this is a new add on. I have no idea why it is necessary unless it is "for the new users". It just annoys me. I would like the option to disable it.

It seems like it takes longer to add a book when this window pops up than it did before without the window. But then it just could be me while I'm watching the window...tick tick tick....

Last edited by allowingtoo; 11-29-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That dialog has nothing to do with Get Books. The change log entry does not apply.
well I get that same picture now ( calibre 64 bit) when I add book by dragging it to main calibre window.
I'm not understanding the semantic distinction here between get books & add books ? is there one ?

I don't get any pop up request though, I just see that picture,which as someone else said makes the add book process seem longer subjectively. I preferred the old unobtrusive way.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

I don't "get books". I "add books". I always have.

But this is why I titled this thread Metadata popup which is what the window says.