Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #31
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Hopefully whoever makes the comparison between PW1 and PW2, also puts a "Basic" Kindle next to the two and gives a feedback if the PW2 finally comes close to the "Basic" in terms of contrast.

I have just sent back my second PW1, because putting it next to the "Basic", there was a very notable difference in contrast, light on or off. To be frank, I am totally smitten with the simple "Basic" Kindle and have just now ordered a few more...

Best regards,
Andy
I agree. I actually had a my black Kindle Basic bonk out on my a few weeks back and I got a replacement. The screen was a notable improvement over my first Black Kindle Basic and has even nicer contrast (very light cream color background and a good dark font), even better than my Dad's KK. I preordered the PW2 and have hopes that the contrast and screen will be an improvement over the PW1 (I sent the original back) but if it fails to impress, I'll be happy to keep using by basic Kindle.

Here is a photo I posted on Amazon of the difference between my 1st black Basic Kindle and my old grey Kindle Basic with a black skin on it. The difference is really clear and shows what a nice screen the black Kindle Basic has. My 2nd black Kindle has an even nicer screen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...images_pl_link

If only Amazon would update their basic kindle to 212 PPI, keep the same form factor and make it non touch then I definitely would be happy.

Last edited by stutzj; 09-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.
stutzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #32
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I own two K4s and a PW1 and I can say my PW is way better than the K4s hands down. My K4s just sits on the shelf collecting dust.
Mine is also better than the K4, background is fairly white as long as I adjust the light between 6-12 based on ambient light.

Maybe we should send our poor barely used K4s to Andy.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Hopefully whoever makes the comparison between PW1 and PW2, also puts a "Basic" Kindle next to the two and gives a feedback if the PW2 finally comes close to the "Basic" in terms of contrast.

I have just sent back my second PW1, because putting it next to the "Basic", there was a very notable difference in contrast, light on or off. To be frank, I am totally smitten with the simple "Basic" Kindle and have just now ordered a few more...

Best regards,
Andy
My Kindle Touch has better font rendering than any of the three PW1s I tried out. They all looked like the left unit in Ocicat's photo above where the text is thin and washed out. If that is the PW2 in the photo, I think the PW1 on the right has darker text. But photos are not much good for judging screens. You have to judge screens in your reading room(s).
Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #34
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpars View Post
With the light turned all the way down, my wife's KK has better contrast - at least the screen is whiter and less grey than the Paperwhite. In fact, I have felt that the KK screen had better contrast than either of the last two generations of Kindle - Touch or PW. So I am hoping that what we see in that picture turns out to be true - a more natural white background - more white than blue/white.

I will certainly post my thoughts when it arrives in early October.
Hey this is what I keep saying. It is partly why i still use a kk. Glad I'm not alone.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
What do you think of these PW1 and 2 comparisons pictures?
PW2 is on the left, PW1 on the right.

[Image exceeds guidelines - MODERATOR]
The one on the left looks like it has a warmer and more even light.

But who knows, it could just be the lighting.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #36
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
Mine is also better than the K4, background is fairly white as long as I adjust the light between 6-12 based on ambient light.

Maybe we should send our poor barely used K4s to Andy.
No, I guess I stick with the one I just received from Amazon, if the old one was not as good .

As I said, it was noticeably better than the PW1 I have received, and even a little better than my KK (thought that might just be the optical effect of the black bezel having a higher contrast to the eInk screen than the KK's charcoal bezel).

Together with the smaller footprint (as opposed to the KK) and the nice fact that, unlike the PW, it does have the page turn buttons, the basic kindle (is it still K4? Or possibly something like K4a or K5 in the meantime?) is really a very nice unit.

I have just ordered 2 more - the current 49 EUR price tag is simply too good to pass up on.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #37
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
OK, so now that I finally have bought a PW 2 for my wife as birthday present, I have to confess that yes, it is nearly everything that I have always wanted in an e-reader: sharp, light, easy-to-read, even when lit.

(The only thing that I would love to have that it does not have would be the blue lighting like the Kobo Glo has, but you can't have everything, I guess)

Still, I stubbornly do cling to my KK and my KF for the time being... ;-)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #38
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Hi there, I have had three PW2s pass through my hands, they were different.
My first was more blotchy than the best PW1 I had (now with my mum, which was very good but distinctly blue-ish in comp. with the PW2).
The replacement was excellento! Really impressive, totally even.
And my husband's is my original PW2 which he is fine with. He says he can see that the top corner has a pink tinge but it simply doesn't bother him. The one ordered for him turned out to be the worst of the three: he adopted mine.
So we're happy.
But just to point out that they really do vary.

As for contrast – still I think, slightly milky but I may need to get myself to the opticians and check if its me. Might be getting long sighted – the text does seem clearer a little further away! hey ho.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #39
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
(The only thing that I would love to have that it does not have would be the blue lighting like the Kobo Glo has, but you can't have everything, I guess)
That's a first, never heard of anyone wanting the blue tinge! To me that would be a major negative, the fact my PW takes on a slight blue tinge at a low light setting (in certain lighting) is the one thing I don't like about the PW. It makes it a cold light, and not pleasant for reading.

Just goes to show, it's pretty much impossible for them to please absolutely everyone.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #40
Lelir1980
Lelir1980 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
A question

Hello everyone,
this is my first post here but I've been following Mobileread for at least two years now.
I have never read on a Paperwhite, but only tried a Kobo Aura and I didn't like it very much because, contrary to my well loved and used Kindle NT, it had poor contrast, a cold bluish light and the words seemed to be almost "floating".
Since I would very much like a front-lit reader, I was wondering if you, more expert users, could tell me how it is to read on the new Paperwhite.
Lelir1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think the light and contrast is a little better on the Paperwhite in comparison to the Aura (certainly less likely to have a blue tinge), but there is a trade-off with any lighted ereader, and that is the fact the contrast isn't quite up to the standard of those without a light. And if you got that feeling of the words 'floating' or feel as if you are reading through a window with the Aura, I think you'll probably find the same with the Paperwhite.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #42
Lelir1980
Lelir1980 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thank you, l_macd, you confirm my earlier suspects.
Lelir1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #43
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Paperwhite 2 now. I was very happy with my PW1 but I wanted another 3G one so I got the PW2 with 3G some time back while they were still available.

I was kind of eager to get it because of the Page Flip feature, which was something I thought I'd use a lot. And I do use it and like it.

But rotating between my 3 Paperwhites as I do I've come to realize that I really don't care enough about the new features to prefer the new one. It's very nice but not enough nicer than the old one to really care. I'm glad I got it because I wanted 2 3G PW's but that's about it.

There is a slight down-side to the new PW as well. It's just a little bit more complicated to use. The new bookmark feature, a feature I really do like, makes me think about it instead of just using it without taking my attention away from the book. This isn't a big enough issue to make me wish it wasn't there but it is big enough that I don't really care that much. I'm just as happy, all in all, with the old bookmarks.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #44
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I had two PW2s before I returned them both, I prefer the PW1 but tbh I recently bought a Kobo Aura and I like that just as much as my PW1.

I 'd always have a Paperwhite but I'd need a real incentive to upgrade from the 1. The 2 isn't anywhere near good enough for that.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:31 AM   #45
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I bought my PW1 three weeks before the new one came out and decided to keep it. But this Wednesday I was in London and decided to go to John Lewis to actually see the real PW2 on display (you cannot see it in Belgium anywhere). I was thinking if I like it that much I will buy it right there. Yes the screen was lighter and black was blacker, and my PW1 screen was slightly more gray overall but all that was such an insignificant difference that I, suffering from severe gadgetitis, decided not to buy. I actually took mine out of the bag and compared them side by side. On top of that I would have to embed my font for the new PW and I didn't fancy going through hoops to achieve the effect I already have (and what with the latest update for PW2). I'm glad I kept my PW1 and have no complaints about it.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote