Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
What do you think of these PW1 and 2 comparisons pictures?
PW2 is on the left, PW1 on the right.

I could not see much difference EXCEPT for "Page 19" on the PW2 bottom left!!
Nobody else mentioned the page numbers addition to the main screen, I missed it from the Sony's.

[Image exceeds guidelines - MODERATOR]

And the reviewer's comment:

Quote:
The resolution is the same as previously, with a 212ppi display and 16 shades of grey scale. The result is that the display is just a little bit nicer to read on. We wouldn't say the difference is drastic enough for you to rush out and buy the new Paperwhite to replace the old, but it's certainly worth waiting until this model becomes available in the UK on 9 October or 30 September for those in the US.
Website is pocket-lint.com

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1233...whiter-smarter

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add info
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocicat View Post
Nobody else mentioned the page numbers addition to the main screen, I missed it from the Sony's.
The PW1 has page numbers if you select it as an option. Pressing on the "Page ##" will toggle you through 3 options:
  • Page ##
  • ## mins left in chapter
  • # hr ## mins left in book

These are the options on my Kindle Touch. I think the PW1 options are the same.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The PW1 has page numbers if you select it as an option. Pressing on the "Page ##" will toggle you through 3 options:
  • Page ##
  • ## mins left in chapter
  • # hr ## mins left in book

These are the options on my Kindle Touch. I think the PW1 options are the same.
Neither my PW1 or my husband's KT work like that, it would be nice.
Page # is not a toggle choice unfortunately.
I have to tap top of screen, page # will display middle of bottom, and will disappear when I go back into full-screen reading mode. The only permanent displays are time left or location and percentage on bottom right.

On the pix of the PW2, it does look like it can be displayed instead of location # on the bottom left. Not a major deal, I do use percentage.
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
What do you think of these PW1 and 2 comparisons pictures?
PW2 is on the left, PW1 on the right.

I could not see much difference EXCEPT for "Page 19" on the PW2 bottom left!!
It would've been harder to decide if you hadn't put the answer right underneath your question!

Though, I of course missed that and only noticed it when I quoted your post to reply to.....

There isn't much of a difference is there (perhaps it will be more noticeable in person)? But I do think the PW2 screen looks a little cleaner, and as the review states that will make it "just a little bit nicer to read on".

Although, I think a comparison of the screen in dim conditions with the light on (but not at full brightness!) will be more interesting.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Neither my PW1 or my husband's KT work like that, it would be nice.
Page # is not a toggle choice unfortunately.
I have to tap top of screen, page # will display middle of bottom, and will disappear when I go back into full-screen reading mode. The only permanent displays are time left or location and percentage on bottom right.

On the pix of the PW2, it does look like it can be displayed instead of location # on the bottom left. Not a major deal, I do use percentage.
EDIT: Okay I see what you are saying. I thought the PW1 showed Page # on left rather than Loc # like the Touch shows. Take your finger and touch where it says "Loc ##" in the bottom-left portion of the screen. When you lift your finger the option will toggle through the available options. "Page ##" might be available if the book has actual page numbers, otherwise it will read "Loc ##".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_12T14_54_58-0500.png
Views:	268
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	110910   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_12T14_55_05-0500.png
Views:	287
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	110911   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_09_12T14_55_24-0500.png
Views:	287
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	110912  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Side by Side

Here's some captures from the pictures in post #16, side by side without the body. 2nd gen paperwhite is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PM.png
Views:	441
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	110913  

Last edited by dieterpops; 09-12-2013 at 04:43 PM.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Here's some captures side by side without the body.
Are those photos side by side of PW2 and PW1? If so where did you get the photos. They are too blurry to be of much help in determining screen quality, at least as far as font rendering goes.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Are those photos side by side of PW2 and PW1? If so where did you get the photos. They are too blurry to be of much help in determining screen quality, at least as far as font rendering goes.
The photos are from the original side by side kindles. I recognised the words, it's just the black edge of the Kindles have been removed.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Here's some captures from the pictures in post #16, side by side without the body. 2nd gen paperwhite is on the left.
The PW2 has a much cleaner background. This is something I have wanted from each Kindle I have upgraded from.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It is not obvious from that review photo if the PW1 is showing the cleaner background of a full-page refresh, though we all are expecting an improved-background in the PW2 based on all reports.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
With the light turned all the way down, my wife's KK has better contrast - at least the screen is whiter and less grey than the Paperwhite. In fact, I have felt that the KK screen had better contrast than either of the last two generations of Kindle - Touch or PW. So I am hoping that what we see in that picture turns out to be true - a more natural white background - more white than blue/white.

I will certainly post my thoughts when it arrives in early October.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #27
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Camera can be deceiving. My PW1 looks more like the reviewer's PW2 on the left than the reviewer's PW1 on the right.
Also, noticed the picture was taken near a window and the source of light came from the left. So, it could make some artificial differences in the picture.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #28
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Camera can be deceiving. My PW1 looks more like the reviewer's PW2 on the left than the reviewer's PW1 on the right.
Also, noticed the picture was taken near a window and the source of light came from the left. So, it could make some artificial differences in the picture.

All too true.

The only constant I have seen in every video on the PW2 is that the shadows on the lower line, where the LEDs are, are much smaller on the PW2. Or let's say, to be on the safe side, that they are smaller on the demo PW2s presented at the IFA.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2014 at 08:18 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Hopefully whoever makes the comparison between PW1 and PW2, also puts a "Basic" Kindle next to the two and gives a feedback if the PW2 finally comes close to the "Basic" in terms of contrast.

I have just sent back my second PW1, because putting it next to the "Basic", there was a very notable difference in contrast, light on or off. To be frank, I am totally smitten with the simple "Basic" Kindle and have just now ordered a few more...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Hopefully whoever makes the comparison between PW1 and PW2, also puts a "Basic" Kindle next to the two and gives a feedback if the PW2 finally comes close to the "Basic" in terms of contrast.

I have just sent back my second PW1, because putting it next to the "Basic", there was a very notable difference in contrast, light on or off. To be frank, I am totally smitten with the simple "Basic" Kindle and have just now ordered a few more...

Best regards,
Andy
I own two K4s and a PW1 and I can say my PW is way better than the K4s hands down. My K4s just sits on the shelf collecting dust.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote