Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
JesterPrime
JesterPrime began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for an open versatile e-reader for a tech-savvy user...

Hey everyone, I'm buying my first e-reader as many probably are on this board, and was hoping for a bit of help.

tl;dr at the bottom in case this is too long a read.

I'm not looking for much from an e-reader. Good performance and a good screen mainly. Don't care about how hard or easy it is to get books on them, will be doing transfers from my computer directly onto the device for the most part. I know my way around computers so a device that isn't restricted just to be more user-friendly is not a pro for me.

Immediately, I'm guessing it's best to go for an e-reader that uses the newer E-Ink Pearl technology. Good way to cut the list down I think, do let me know if you guys disagree.

So out of the ones using Pearl screens, I'd like a device that is fairly open to customization and has good support for many filetypes. I imagine I can convert most anything to whichever filetype these e-readers do support, for those that are limited (right?) but I figure it's nice to have the device be versatile in case I am unable to convert the file or a conversion would create problems in the formatting (is that a problem at this point?), not to mention ability to download files of different formats and view them when no computer is available for the conversion.

At first I thought the best 2 choices would be either a rooted Nook Simple Touch or a rooted Sony PRS-T1, but maybe other devices are worth considering?

And apart from doing things like using the Kindle app or adding dictionaries/using other reader software (I'm assuming this is possible with the devices when they are rooted, eh?), what other things could one do with these 2? I know the Sony has audio options, but as I own a smartphone, I do not see myself ever using it.

I'm leaning toward the Nook at this point, due to its lower price, and I hear it has a better battery. Any input from you guys? What are the pros and cons of the devices if one were to set aside price?

If not, between the 2 of them, which would be a better choice?

Hopefully I wasn't too verbose, but if I was

tl;dr
- Need ereader
- Pearl screen (best?)
- Open to customization
- Versatile in support for different file types
- Past research got me down to NST vs PRS-T1, agree?
- Which is better?
- Disagree? Please suggest something else.

Thanks for any and all help

Last edited by JesterPrime; 01-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
JesterPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you want to read a lot of different file formats there is nothing like the etaco jetbook which reads something like every format you could ever come across.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert