Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Decided to buy Nook, but some question first..

After some time researching about ebook reader, I've decided I'll go with the Nook. But I still have a couple of questions first:

1. Is Nook reliable, hardware-wise? I mean, I'll buy Nook from Indonesia, and since B & N doesn't officially ship here, I guess there is no some kind of customer service. So, is there any of you have experience about Nook's hardware reliability? Do you ever broke it and must be returned, etc? I'll have to take a chance here and just hope that if I buy the Nook it will be in good condition and not defect production.

2. What about Nook capability to render epub itself? Does it have modern ADE version? I'm not really knowledgable about the difference in ADE version, but I just read this thread that mention Sony reader has ancient ADE version which make it only display epub left-justified. Does the Nook does it also? Because I like to play a bit with ebook's css and I have some preference when I'm reading (like fully justified with slight text indent)

That's all my question, thanks in advance..
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
I'll have to bounce your second question about ADE to someone else, as I'm not really well-schooled on that matter, but I can answer your first. A few months after receiving my nook, I began to notice cracks on the right page turn button. This was due to an issue with the first batch of nooks (or so I was told). B&N sent me a new nook with the improved design at no charge; I sent them my broken nook as soon as I received my new one. This whole process took two days. Since I received my new nook, I haven't had any problems with it, hardware or otherwise.

Really though, I'm not sure how much feedback anyone can really give you about the reliability of the hardware. After all, the nook hasn't even been out a full year. But, as I said, I haven't had any problems with my replacement nook so far and I don't foresee any (unless I drop it on concrete or something).
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
The nook does not display the same issues with formatting as those Sony devices. I have changed justification, indents, line spacing and many other CSS details and the device has displayed them all just fine. The only thing it doesn't do is auto-hyphenate when displaying full justification. I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse considering how bad of a job some epub display engines do of it! Full-justified text looks fine in most cases unless your fonts are set really huge and there are a ton of long words in the text.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
I'll have to bounce your second question about ADE to someone else, as I'm not really well-schooled on that matter, but I can answer your first. A few months after receiving my nook, I began to notice cracks on the right page turn button. This was due to an issue with the first batch of nooks (or so I was told). B&N sent me a new nook with the improved design at no charge; I sent them my broken nook as soon as I received my new one. This whole process took two days. Since I received my new nook, I haven't had any problems with it, hardware or otherwise
That's somewhat relieving, I assume and hope that I will get second (or the next after that) batch.

Quote:
The nook does not display the same issues with formatting as those Sony devices. I have changed justification, indents, line spacing and many other CSS details and the device has displayed them all just fine. The only thing it doesn't do is auto-hyphenate when displaying full justification. I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse considering how bad of a job some epub display engines do of it! Full-justified text looks fine in most cases unless your fonts are set really huge and there are a ton of long words in the text.
Ahh, I see that you use stanza on iphone too . I know that Stanza's hyphenation is kind of flawed. But nevertheless it's essential for me when reading on iPhone or iPod Touch's small screen. Maybe with larger screen it won't be such a big issue.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote