Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
artelahe
artelahe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS505
Red face USP and wall changer.. can it be done?

One of my biggest peeves or disappointments is losing access to my reader as soon as the USB is plugged into it in conjunction with a PC connection.

Here comes the wind up for this possibly idiotic question....

I load ebooks via the USB and charge with the wall charger. I am aware that one of the background functions the USB is to recharge the reader on connection (hence the nifty "DO NOT DISCONNECT (on pain of who knows what? Possible brickitudinal state?))!" messages.

So, here's my question:

Is it possible, and safe, to connect the reader to the wall charger and concurrently via the USB for book transfer without killing the reader? Will it cancel out the DO NOT Disconnect message?

My apologies if this is a pc cup-holder type question.
artelahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I would recommend not doing that. Is the problem that it won't let you disconnect the reader? If so, have you tried closing the library? That'll show that it is still connected via USB but the Do Not Disconnect is gone.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Lilac_jive is right, and you can also disconnect the reader from within Sony's ebook library by clicking the icon to the right of the reader in the sidebar.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The reason you are warned not to disconnect the reader is not due to it charging when connected, but that your computer *may* be writing something to the reader--in which case if you disconnect that could cause corruption on the reader.

If you're using the Sony software, like Columbus points out, you can disconnect the reader by clicking the little button to the right of the reader. You can also close the library as Lilac_Jive says. You can also use the "Safely Remove hardware" icon in your system tray to disconnect the reader. (I'm using XP--assume this is still available in Vista.)

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
artelahe
artelahe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS505
Thank you to everyone for your (kind) feedback. What box to the left of the reader are you referring to?

Maybe I'm not doing this correctly, but I download my books, unzip them, drag them into the library and then from the library drag them into the reader.
artelahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by artelahe View Post
Thank you to everyone for your (kind) feedback. What box to the left of the reader are you referring to?

Maybe I'm not doing this correctly, but I download my books, unzip them, drag them into the library and then from the library drag them into the reader.
You shouldn't have to drag them into the library, You can hit File, then Import and select the file. Maybe it works differently for zips.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I connect my reader to the wall charger and the USB *all the time*. Never had a problem. FWIW.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by artelahe View Post
One of my biggest peeves or disappointments is losing access to my reader as soon as the USB is plugged into it in conjunction with a PC connection.

Here comes the wind up for this possibly idiotic question....

I load ebooks via the USB and charge with the wall charger. I am aware that one of the background functions the USB is to recharge the reader on connection (hence the nifty "DO NOT DISCONNECT (on pain of who knows what? Possible brickitudinal state?))!" messages.

So, here's my question:

Is it possible, and safe, to connect the reader to the wall charger and concurrently via the USB for book transfer without killing the reader? Will it cancel out the DO NOT Disconnect message?

My apologies if this is a pc cup-holder type question.
I don't have a Sony, but as long as you have finished any data transfer, it is fine and dandy to pull the USB plug out of the computer and in to the wall charger.

If you want to be ultra careful, then you eject, or dismount the USB drive from the computer before unplugging it. However, as long as data tranfer is not going on, you don't stand to damage much of anything by unplugging the device.

Even then, all you are really likely to do is really screw up the data that you were attempting to transfer. Highly unlikely that doing that would actually "kill" your ebook reader or any USB device.

I know, I was unplugging them right left and sideways for years before I heard you weren't supposed to DO that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by artelahe;

Within the Sony ebook library on the left hand side is a vertical panel, to the right of the "Reader" entry is a button with an up arrow, clicking on the button disconnects the reader cancelling the do not disconnect message.

If you click on "local disk" you can drag books direct from disk to the reader if you wish bypassing the library.

columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I connect my reader to the wall charger and the USB *all the time*. Never had a problem. FWIW.
I usually have it connected to both when I'm loading books, too. Haven't had an issue yet.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote