Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Prospective 505 buyer has a question.

Hi all,
I want to buy an ereader and after lots of reading, forums, reviews, etc. I have decided that the 505 fits the bill nicely.
I have a question though.
Does the 505 still flash the black screen when flipping pages?
I was trying the display model at my local Borders...damn missed the $199 sale by a day but they were sold out anyway...and noticed the black screen when changing pages. Is this standard for the 505 with that latest software/firmware updates? It is not a deal breaker and I will probably buy it tomorrow while I can still get it at my local Target for $269.
Thanks,
Kai
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Yes it does, however from my understanding all eink based displays have this "feature" I beleive its something to do with having the screen in a known state before it can change.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The perception of it goes away with time and use. Don't worry about it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Kai.

More Sony owners will check in.......in the meantime, check out the free books available here to download...no device needed!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Penforhire is right. After a few pages, you won't notice it. I've had a 505 since January 08 and wouldn't want to go back to pBooks
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Welcome to the forum!

The page turn on the 505 is less noticeable than it was on the 500, in my opinion. And as someone already said, this happens with all e-ink readers, not just the Sony.

After a day of reading on my Sony 505, I didn't even notice the page turn anymore.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It's fairly quick, faster than turning the page on a pbook.

After a short time, you won't notice it, just as the others have said.

I'm reading a library pbook right now and getting rather frustrated at not being able to change the font size and the unwieldiness of it. I've only had my 505 a couple of months - how quickly we get spoiled!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Excuse me Kate; the term is not 'spoiled'. It's addicted; might as well be shooting eInk in our veins.

Fortunately, we have MobileRead to help ween us away. Okay, okay MobileRead is another addiction too. Shoot
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
As others have said, it's something that you have to deal with to some extent on all E Ink-based readers. I've only had my 505 for a short while, but I've noticed that the whole screen flash/change thing happens in about the same amount of time that it takes for me to move my eyes from the last line of the page up to the first line of the next page. So really, it's not like I'm losing any reading time due to it--my eyes would still have to move even if it didn't do it.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
CrazyBaker
CrazyBaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I was resistant to the Reader from the beginning and when I saw that flash I thought I would never make it through a book on that thing. By the end of the first chapter I no longer noticed the flash and by the end of the first book I had forgotten it wasn't a real boook and kept trying to turn the pages!
CrazyBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Another thing you will see talked about in the reviews is the "delay" between pressing the button and the page changing to its new state...

On the 505, you press the button, there is about a "short second" when nothing appears to happen, then about half a second as the screen blacks then clears to the new state.

I find that when reading out loud to my wife (one reader, two people), I scan ahead about 2/3 of a line (medium type size) before pressing the page turn button. By the time I have spoken that last 2/3 of a line, the new page is displayed ready for my eye to move to the top of the screen.

Speaking of the screen, by the way - the quality is excellent! Even in mediocre lighting conditions, it is clear and in daylight it is so pin-sharp and crispy and high contrast I am still amazed even after a week of ownership.

Now all I need to do is wait for Oberon Designs to do the 505 leather covers and my reading pleasure is complete!
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I've got so used to my reader that I had to go and check if there really was a 'flash' - yes there is, but it's become invisible to me.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Thanks for the input.
I am going to get one tomorrow at Target.
I thought the page turning time was sufficiently quick...no more time really than turning a page.
I am looking forward to getting it. I already have my eBook Library set up with 38 books loaded using the .lrf format. I've also installed Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions and have read their manuals.
I'm looking forward and am excited about buying it tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Kai
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #14
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Thanks for the input.
I am going to get one tomorrow at Target.
I thought the page turning time was sufficiently quick...no more time really than turning a page.
I am looking forward to getting it. I already have my eBook Library set up with 38 books loaded using the .lrf format. I've also installed Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions and have read their manuals.
I'm looking forward and am excited about buying it tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Kai
Awersome! I feel the same way about the flash....doesn't take any longer than it would to turn a page...the flash doesn't bother me at all. You sure didn't waste any time downloading books! What kind of books do you like to read? Did you know you can also check out ebooks from your library in pdf or epub format and read them on your 505? Thats one of my favorite things about the 505 so I make sure I mention that to everyone.

Let us know how you like it!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Excuse me Kate; the term is not 'spoiled'. It's addicted; might as well be shooting eInk in our veins.

Fortunately, we have MobileRead to help ween us away. Okay, okay MobileRead is another addiction too. Shoot
how right you are.....

I agree with the others that the blank page becomes a total non-issue and you don't even notice it after a few pages. I also agree with kelly that the library check out is the best feature of the 505. I love being able to check out books!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote