Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Replacing ¬

I have been scanning through a document and there are a large number of words which are broken up by a '¬' symbol.

eg could¬n't

For some reason, the spell check in word isn't picking these up. Also, when I try a replace, it never finds the character.

Is there another way I can replace all of these characters?

Kind Regards,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's probably a "soft hyphen" - ie a "marker" for the point at which a word can be hyphenated, if necessary. Can you not find it by doing a "copy" from the document itself?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Don't quite understand what you mean by finding it by doing a copy from the document itself. I have however looked in the 'special list' and found optional hyphen. This has detected the rogue character. Thank you - wouldn't have thought of looking for it there without the pointer to 'soft hyphen'. I thought a copy/paste of the character would be enough
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's what I meant - doing a copy/paste from the actual text. Glad you've sorted it, anyway!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Maybe are you doing a the OCR with Omnipage Pro?...
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I have been scanning through a document and there are a large number of words which are broken up by a '¬' symbol.

eg could¬n't

For some reason, the spell check in word isn't picking these up. Also, when I try a replace, it never finds the character.
Those are generally Good Things that you want to keep; they allow the word to be broken if it falls at the end of a line. ("could¬n't" is a really bad one and should be avoided.) It generally means your Word settings have been set to "show invisible characters"--this can show all of them (soft hyphens, arrows for tabs, the ¶ symbol for ends of paragraphs, dots for spaces, and a few more) or it can be set to only show a few of them.

If there's a ¶ symbol on your toolbars, clicking it should make them go invisible. If not, under Tools-->Options-->View tab, the "Formatting marks" section shows which ones are set to be visible (when the "show all" button on the View toolbar is active).

If they're actual soft hypens, rather than the ¬ character (which you can get by holding the alt key and typing "0172" on the keyboard), they're formatting marks only, and they don't print or export, except as code, like paragraph marks or invisible table lines.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote