Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Patchicat
Enthusiast
Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patchicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet; Nook HD+; Nook Samsung Tab 3
Barnes & Noble Redesigned Their Website

And made it harder to find what one is looking for. I prefer the epub format and own several Nooks. But their new website design is an abomination. Who is the genius behind making it almost impossible for a customer to find anything? I dislike Amazon on principle and prefer not to purchase ebooks in the Kindle format, even though I finally broke down and purchased an older Kindle just to be on the safe side. I have specific authors I like to read. Some of them publish on Smashwords, and I'll purchase my ebooks there if I can find what I want. Can anyone tell me what my other options are now that B&N has become so user unfriendly that I no longer want to shop there?

Thanks.
Patchicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Kobo.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Google Play. They sell epubs.

Also, eBooks.com and eBookMall, for instance.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Books A Million also sells ePub as do many of the publishers that have their own webstores.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Amazon, Calibre and Apprentice Alf. Then you have the ease of the Amazon store without being tied to their Kindle. I've never had a problem converting a book purchased from Amazon to epub.

If you follow my advice, just make sure you use an older edition of Kindle for PC.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Mobileread's Library for PD ebooks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Amazon, Calibre and Apprentice Alf. Then you have the ease of the Amazon store without being tied to their Kindle. I've never had a problem converting a book purchased from Amazon to epub.

If you follow my advice, just make sure you use an older edition of Kindle for PC.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
If they dislike buying on Amazon on principle buying on Amazon isn't a great recommendation. I also find something usually breaks in conversion even if it's subtle. Kindleunpacking an azw3 into an epub can get pretty good results sometimes though.

I think Kobo is a bit better of an epub store than Google Play. I've had issues downloading stuff to ADE with Google Play and never with Kobo.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
If they dislike buying on Amazon on principle buying on Amazon isn't a great recommendation.
I get what you are saying. I just wasn't sure what the principle was, since they followed it with "...even though I finally broke down and purchased an older Kindle..."

When I first got into e-books, I thought the hardware tied you to the ecosystem. Once I discovered Calibre and Alf, that went away.

Of course, if there are other Amazon issues, then yeah, I'd recommend:

Quote:
...Kobo is a bit better of an epub store than Google Play.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I get what you are saying. I just wasn't sure what the principle was, since they followed it with "...even though I finally broke down and purchased an older Kindle..."

When I first got into e-books, I thought the hardware tied you to the ecosystem. Once I discovered Calibre and Alf, that went away.

Of course, if there are other Amazon issues, then yeah, I'd recommend:
There is a lot that I dislike about the Amazon kindle store, but it has by far the best ebook selection of any of the stores. As long as I can strip the DRM and format shift the book, it really doesn't matter which store I buy a book from. I buy most of my books from Amazon, even though I mostly read using Marvin on my iPad. I've also bought some books from Apple and B&N as well as a lot from Sony and Baen books. I don't know that any of the stores are what I would consider ideal.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I also find something usually breaks in conversion even if it's subtle.
Is it in cosmetic issues, or are you finding data is missing? I've never noticed a problem with an AZW3/Mobi to epub conversion that wasn't cosmetic.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Is it in cosmetic issues, or are you finding data is missing? I've never noticed a problem with an AZW3/Mobi to epub conversion that wasn't cosmetic.
Yes. The words might be all there but formatting might be off somewhere, a picture might be too small etc. It may be cosmetic but it's still annoying.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
For me, Google Play is not a good site for browsing for new books because they don't have categories - you can search for a genre such as "mysteries" but they don't give you any sorting options. I find it's easier to browse on Kobo or Books a Million and then if I want to buy the book from Google, search for the specific book.

I've found that prices vary between the stores so it's worth comparison shopping.

Books a Million sends me tons of email coupon codes but they're never good on ebooks, which is the only thing I ever buy from them.

Google Play and Books a Million both allow you to create a wish list on their sites. Last time I checked, Kobo didn't (I think maybe they have it on readers, but I didn't find a way to create one on my PC, which is where I like to do my browsing.)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I do all my browsing on Amazon, but often buy the book elsewhere. Google Play usually has the cheapest prices (of course I'm not in the US), but it's true their epubs are sometimes problematic. They've always given me a refund when I cannot download their epub with ADE. If not for the price differences, I would have stopped buying from them a long time ago. I have no idea if Google Play has cheaper prices in the US too or not.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
For books I've bought, prices have not been uniformly cheaper at one store over another so I usually compare before buying.

So far I have not had any problems with epubs from Google Play. I don't buy tons of books though so maybe I've just gotten lucky so far.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote