Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's no need to install Kobo Desktop. I don't have it installed. I setup my H2O via WiFi. I use Calibre to manage my eBooks.
Been there, done that. Unfortunately, using WiFi doesn't let me install fonts, Adobe activation, ease of entering my passwords using a real keyboard, etc. Nor does WiFi let me install patches after the firmware update. Yes, I know you may not want patches, fonts, configuration file settings, etc. but some of us like to install them which needs a computer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Been there, done that. Unfortunately, using WiFi doesn't let me install fonts, Adobe activation, ease of entering my passwords using a real keyboard, etc. Nor does WiFi let me install patches after the firmware update. Yes, I know you may not want patches, fonts, configuration file settings, etc. but some of us like to install them which needs a computer.
Which is those require Kobo Desktop?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Don't want to make 'space' for the mac address on my router so gonna set up using kobo desktop as not sure I want to use wifi on the new ereader maybe damaging to my purse
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I didn't say you don't need a computer. I said you don't Kobo Desktop. I do everything without the need for KD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #20
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
I didn't say you don't need a computer. I said you don't Kobo Desktop. I do everything without the need for KD.
True. Kobo Desktop makes it easier to download Kobo books to your PC for backup or reading purposes though. That makes it worthwhile IMO, it's much easier than going to the website and downloading through ADE one by one.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
True. Kobo Desktop makes it easier to download Kobo books to your PC for backup or reading purposes though. That makes it worthwhile IMO, it's much easier than going to the website and downloading through ADE one by one.
But you end up with kepub. For backup, you want ePub which you can use on Readers other than Kobo or apps or whatever that handles ePub. You want to do the ePub download via ADE to get ePub for backup.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Which is those require Kobo Desktop?
Other than entering the password for my Kobo account, none. On the other hand, if I am going to be doing the rest of the tasks, I might was well use the desktop app to setup and sync -- as mentioned earlier, copying the books that are already synced to my laptop is faster than downloading them over WiFi.

And yes, entering a 28 character passphrase involving a goodly number of special characters is a pain using the on-screen keyboard. Doable but a PITA.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
But you end up with kepub. For backup, you want ePub which you can use on Readers other than Kobo or apps or whatever that handles ePub. You want to do the ePub download via ADE to get ePub for backup.
Most of the books I sync with Kobo are cookbooks. Fiction I download though the majority of books I've recently downloaded don't require ADE being non-DRMed.

As for backup needing epub? I see little difference in backing up a kepub or an epub. Files is files.

I've read kepubs without using a Kobo ereader or app. I see little visible difference other than a couple of issues linked to epub3 features that are not supported by the majority of epub reading software. The extra spans and the cover image property are pretty much a non-issue.