Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
andy0707
andy0707 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How I should split my ebook up into a series

I'm making an ebook by iBooks Author now, each page approx. 200kb, in total 400pages, 50mb. I also use Adobe Acrobat. The size is 18mb.

Most pages are like this, each page is a actually a hand-drawing Chinese color-painting. It is not a typical comic, but rather a picture book. In the vol. 1, there are 405 pages, 15 chapters. Should I split it up? or Maybe I can use another better ebook maker to make a smaller size ebook?

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-02-2016 at 05:01 PM.
andy0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hope Hitch responds to your post. AFAIK you can't upload an iBooks Author file to the KDP, and Amazon's own fixed format templates (whatever one calls them) are proprietary and have to be approached from the git-go. You can of course use jpeg images in a reflowable book, which has the additional advantage of being readable in all Kindle devices and apps, whereas fixed-form e-books are not. The book will be large, so you might want to avoid the 70 percent royalty and its 15-cent fee for every megabyte delivered to the customer. (The delivered size is seldom as great as what your software suggests. You can see it on the second page, after you've set the prices in various markets.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Isn't one of the licence terms of iBooks Author that books created with it can only be sold in the iBookstore? That certainly used to be the case.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@andy0707: If you want to sell your book on Amazon, you also might want to check out Kindle Comic Creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0707 View Post
Maybe I can use another better ebook maker to make a smaller size ebook?
You might be able to reduce the size of the book by using lossless image compression tools.

For example:

ePUB Optimizer

Calibre > Polish Books > Losslessly compress images
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy0707 View Post
I'm making an ebook by iBooks Author now, each page approx. 200kb, in total 400pages, 50mb. I also use Adobe Acrobat. The size is 18mb.
Are you planning to sell this on iBooks, I hope? Because if not, you've wasted a lot of time.

Quote:
Most pages are like this, each page is a actually a hand-drawing Chinese color-painting. It is not a typical comic, but rather a picture book. In the vol. 1, there are 405 pages, 15 chapters. Should I split it up? or Maybe I can use another better ebook maker to make a smaller size ebook?
Well...you have some challenges. I suspect that's a pretty huge file. 50mb? That's going to be too large if you try to make this in MOBI format, as a reflowable.

I'm going to suggest that you do consider Doits' suggestion, and look at either Amazon Kindle Kids' Book Creator; Kindle Textbook Creator, or the Kindle Comic Creator. If you plan to publish on Amazon, that is.

All of these have some drawbacks. Most are going to limit who can buy the book, as those fixed-layout books only work on some devices. However, one of these will provide you with the best option. I suspect that you might go for TextbookCreator, which is pretty easy. On the other hand, both Kids Book Creator and Comic Creator will allow you to have pop-ups or dialogue bubbles, which would suit your book.

The good news is, they are all really EASY to use.

I hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote