Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Sony and Mac Computers in Australia

My wife has become enamoured of the Sony 650 I had before I got my PRS T1. She uses a Mac computer while I use a Windows 7 computer. We have not been able to have her download ebooks to her Mac and then transfer them to her 650, perhaps because it had some books on it which I had transferred from my Windows computer.

She would like to be more independent and transfer ebooks herself down to her Mac and transfer them to her own ebook reader. And she would like to be able to download ebooks directly on to her reader through our wi-fi set up - I haven't tried that because so far as I know Sony still won't sell ebooks directly to people in Australia and because I routinely remove DRM on my computer.

I'm thinking of buying her a PRS TI or T2 for her birthday in November or for Christmas. Has anyone had experience of using a Sony with an Apple computer? Does anyone know how to download ebooks directly to the reader in Australia?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Hi Alex
Sorry, I can't answer your question but I do use a iMac and a 650 without problem. Like you I usually remove DRM, and then I use Calibre for my Library and to transfer to the 650. I never use the Sony store (UK) though, I buy my books from anywhere that has the ones I want.
I hope somebody comes along who can answer your question.
Regards, Lyn
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My household has a Mac and Windows PC as well as 350, 950 & T1 readers in use. For non-DRM you shouldn't have any issues in theory. And for DRM, as long as your ereaders and computers are registered to the same Adobe account user id, then it shouldn't matter which computer they are downloaded from and which they are transferred from. At least I have not had any problems. My Mac is getting old now, and I'm still using OSX 10.5.8.

It used to be painful, and I kept my book library in a virtual Windows desktop on my Mac. However, the Sony ereaders have played nice together for 2 years or so now. One thing to note is that ADE for Mac doesn't recognize the Sony ereaders has a connected USB device like the PC version does. So you need to transfer via an alternative method such as drag-and-drop, Sony Reader software or calibre.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks very much for your help. It looks as though my wife should be able to use a new Sony directly with her Mac even though we can't get the used 650 to work. That's most helpful.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote