Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #46
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Yes, it is.
Did you buy one of the n2a cards or do it yourself.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #47
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Did you buy one of the n2a cards or do it yourself.

Carol
I did it myself.

I don't see the point of buying the N2A card - creating the card is actually the easiest part of the process.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #48
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
I did it myself.

I don't see the point of buying the N2A card - creating the card is actually the easiest part of the process.
That's what I've been trying to say.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #49
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did it myself.

Which build did you use? Has it been pretty stable for you?

Carol
Old 09-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #50
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which build did you use? Has it been pretty stable for you?

Carol
I've got the release candidate installed, which I don't think is now available. Yes, it's been completely stable and I'm very happy with it.
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #51
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I've got the release candidate installed, which I don't think is now available. Yes, it's been completely stable and I'm very happy with it.
I think if I get the NC I will try the SD card myself. Seems the hardest is trying to find the SanDisk Class 4 micro card. When I do I'll probably have LOTS more questions for everyone.

Carol
Old 09-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #52
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Well, after reading about this for quite a while, I decided to give it a whirl today. I followed the steps in this XDA thread. It actually went pretty well. Seems to me like the biggest hurdle is understanding the various nomenclature.
Which build did you use. Has it been stable.

Carol
Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #53
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Yes, CM7 nightlies are in the 170s now, but the last official stable release was in May. I've seen some trouble reports on 177, but 176 has been rock solid for me. You wouldn't need to upgrade to a new nightly ever, if you didn't want to be bothered, and I wouldn't even recommend frequent updates--I update once or twice a month, and I'm keeping up on CM7 development.

WinImage is a standalone program, and one of the few that will burn and rip images on SD. You could use it to back up a bootable card, but what jhempel was describing was downloading an image of a ClockworkMod card, burning that image to a SD, copying a generic stock firmware .zip to the card, booting to the card and using CWM to install the .zip, restoring his NC to stock.

What I linked her was a less wall-o-text version of the OP of that thread, with a link to the original.
Skimmed through both links. I take it you can either use release candidate, update-cm-7.1.0-RC1-encore-signed.zip or a nightly.

Am going to look for a SanDisk class 4 maybe today.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 09-21-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #54
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Which build did you use. Has it been stable.

Carol
Currently using nightly 177. I don't have an Android phone, so most of the issues I've had were dealing with learning the OS.

I'll concur on Netflix. It looks great. Just don't rely on the crappy internal speaker.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #55
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy View Post
Currently using nightly 177. I don't have an Android phone, so most of the issues I've had were dealing with learning the OS.

I'll concur on Netflix. It looks great. Just don't rely on the crappy internal speaker.
Thanks for that input. I don't have an Android phone either so it will be all new to me too.

Trying to convince the hubby I NEED a Nook Color.

The SanDisk class 4 cards they suggest are hard to find.

Carol
Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #56
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Thanks for that input. I don't have an Android phone either so it will be all new to me too.

Trying to convince the hubby I NEED a Nook Color.

The SanDisk class 4 cards they suggest are hard to find.

Carol

Or Class 2 - I got mine at Staples.

Apparently the lower the class, the better for this purpose.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #57
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Really, Buy SanDisk

Quote:
Or Class 2 - I got mine at Staples.

Apparently the lower the class, the better for this purpose.
That's not quite true. (I hear the AData Class 6 cards are great, but I haven't found one yet.) There are two issues here:
  • Random data access. SanDisk is fantastic at it, while others ... aren't. When you are dealing with lots of tiny files in an OS like Android (as opposed to large media files), you really feel the difference.
  • Incompatibility with the Android Linux kernel. A lot of cards simply crash and burn hard because of a strange quirk in reported timing vs. actual timing and the way the SD driver is written... You simply need to know that most cards don't work, and you'll be able to tell because you'll see a bunch of errors during the Android install.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #58
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
That's not quite true. (I hear the AData Class 6 cards are great, but I haven't found one yet.) There are two issues here:
  • Random data access. SanDisk is fantastic at it, while others ... aren't. When you are dealing with lots of tiny files in an OS like Android (as opposed to large media files), you really feel the difference.
  • Incompatibility with the Android Linux kernel. A lot of cards simply crash and burn hard because of a strange quirk in reported timing vs. actual timing and the way the SD driver is written... You simply need to know that most cards don't work, and you'll be able to tell because you'll see a bunch of errors during the Android install.

Thanks for the clarification.

My point was that a Sandisk Class 2 will also work fine - it's what I've been using and what a lot of other people use. I've had no problems with it.

No need to hunt up the apparently rarer Class 4.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #59
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Thanks for that Logan. Where are you finding your class 4 SanDisk cards?

Carol
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #60
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Thanks for that Logan. Where are you finding your class 4 SanDisk cards?
I'm lucky; I have a Fry's Electronics nearby, and they stock them.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote