Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #31
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Is it comparable to the ipad?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #32
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Can I replace the battery if I buy an extra battery? Given the short battery life, I want to be able to switch them if I am on the road and cannot recharge.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #33
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
No nook is slaved to a PC. When you connect a classic nook (wifi, or wifi/3g) the computer just sees the Nook as a USB drive. It isn't slaved to a particular computer and can be used on any computer whether it runs windows, linux, mac os, bsd, android, or any other system that supports USB 2.0 drives.

I personally have side-loaded books on to my nook from 4 different computers, each running a different OS. (1 fedora, 1 ubuntu, 1 os X, 1 winxp)
I interpreted the comment about a nook being slaved to a PC to merely be referencing the inability to side-load except thru the USB port. In other words, "can the NC sideload via Wifi, or is it still dependent on a PC connection?"

Just my interpretation of the question.

I believe only the iPad(/iPod/iPhone) fits the description of "slaved to a PC", except most folk differentiate between "PC" and "Mac". I am, of course, referring to syncing (therefore slaved) to a specific computer with a specific iTunes, so the iPad/iTouch/iPhone is truly only slaved to a specific iTunes which resides on a specific PC/Mac.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #34
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I believe only the iPad(/iPod/iPhone) fits the description of "slaved to a PC", except most folk differentiate between "PC" and "Mac". I am, of course, referring to syncing (therefore slaved) to a specific computer with a specific iTunes, so the iPad/iTouch/iPhone is truly only slaved to a specific iTunes which resides on a specific PC/Mac.
The original PC vs MAC difference was an open hw platform running intel (and variant) chips vs a close proprietary HW platform running motorola chips. Now of course Macs are Intel platform machines running slightly proprietary HW (not dissimilar to Compac PCs in the early 90s.). I think PC has become the superset term for desktop and laptop computers (regardless of the PC and Mac series of ads).

Either way for me I run mostly Linux and BSD OS variants which puts me somewhat outside the norm.

It is an important feature that my Nook connects to my various linux computers seamlessly since it just shows up as a USB drive. Sony's Reader Library 3.0 SW only runs on OS X (10.4.11+) and Windows (XP +). That limits my usage as a MS free household (and only miles away from MS headquarters).

I assumed the person posting was referring to the SW due to being a sony ereader user. I can see what you mean about potentially meaning the USB vs wireless connection though. Of course I also agree with you regarding how ITunes users are the ones locked down the most.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #35
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Can I replace the battery if I buy an extra battery? Given the short battery life, I want to be able to switch them if I am on the road and cannot recharge.
The battery is non user replaceable so switching a spare on the fly is probably not too practical. There are though plenty of external batteries that are designed for iPad or other mobile devices that should be be compatible with the NC.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 AM   #36
JadePriest
JadePriest began at the beginning.

Device: none
How bad is the glare? The wife likes to read while we are traveling so will it be really hard on her eyes to read while it is sunny out?
JadePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #37
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
The original PC vs MAC difference was an open hw platform running intel (and variant) chips vs a close proprietary HW platform running motorola chips. Now of course Macs are Intel platform machines running slightly proprietary HW (not dissimilar to Compac PCs in the early 90s.). I think PC has become the superset term for desktop and laptop computers (regardless of the PC and Mac series of ads).

Either way for me I run mostly Linux and BSD OS variants which puts me somewhat outside the norm.

It is an important feature that my Nook connects to my various linux computers seamlessly since it just shows up as a USB drive. Sony's Reader Library 3.0 SW only runs on OS X (10.4.11+) and Windows (XP +). That limits my usage as a MS free household (and only miles away from MS headquarters).

I assumed the person posting was referring to the SW due to being a sony ereader user. I can see what you mean about potentially meaning the USB vs wireless connection though. Of course I also agree with you regarding how ITunes users are the ones locked down the most.
The PC was a closed platform, too. The only difference was that IBM kept clones out of the market through controlling their BIOS while Apple controlled both the ROM and the OS. Once companies reverse engineered IBM's BIOS, it was trivial to get the rest of the hardware to work with DOS or CP/M since Microsoft and Digital Research would gladly sell copies of their respective OSes to whoever wanted one. Even if you managed to copy Apple's ROM, you still had to deal with making a compatible OS. Given the price difference between the an IBM and an Apple at the time, it was FAR more lucrative to clone IBM PCs and it was easier, too. I only remember a couple of Apple and Mac clones. They were buggy, had compatibility issues, and didn't last long. But I think you're right that the term PC is becoming ubiquitous again and applying to both the IBM lineage and the Apple lineage.

(Ironically, the Macs of today are keeping their OS from running on commodity IBM PC compatible hardware through their EFI (a sort of BIOS-on-steroids). People who are successfully running OS X on commodity IBM PC Compatible hardware have done it by reverse engineering the EFI.)

But back to the point, I took "slaved" to mean "had to be connected to the PC to get content." That confused me because I thought the Nook could wireless download content from Barnes and Noble. So I guess there are at least three ways to interpret the statement.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #38
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
No nook is slaved to a PC. When you connect a classic nook (wifi, or wifi/3g) the computer just sees the Nook as a USB drive. It isn't slaved to a particular computer and can be used on any computer whether it runs windows, linux, mac os, bsd, android, or any other system that supports USB 2.0 drives.

I personally have side-loaded books on to my nook from 4 different computers, each running a different OS. (1 fedora, 1 ubuntu, 1 os X, 1 winxp)

Any ideas of whether it can sideload on a Windows 7 64bit? From Calibre?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #39
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
But back to the point, I took "slaved" to mean "had to be connected to the PC to get content." That confused me because I thought the Nook could wireless download content from Barnes and Noble. So I guess there are at least three ways to interpret the statement.
Nice, concise history lesson with details I had never actually heard explained before.

However, while the nook can certainly download book in on the B&N website via wifi, it is the only website from which it can do so. I was talking about all those OTHER sources, which require side-loading via a computer/USB and don't end up on the "nookshelf".

While I wouldn't hold out much hope B&N would make it any easier to purchase from any other source, I am willing to ask the question until we get an answer.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #40
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Any ideas of whether it can sideload on a Windows 7 64bit? From Calibre?
I don't use windows 7 64-bit but as it would see the nook as a USB drive I don't foresee any problems at all.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #41
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
The PC was a closed platform, too. The only difference was that IBM kept clones out of the market through controlling their BIOS while Apple controlled both the ROM and the OS.
The MAC also kept the add-on board market tied up to Apple where the various bus architectures were varying degrees of open for the PC market.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #42
cybrdmn
cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cybrdmn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nookcolor
I don't see many answers from this nookanswers character...
cybrdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdmn View Post
Was thinking the same thing...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #44
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrdmn View Post
Indeed. The whole thing was rather strange (in a funny way ). I would so like to go into a random forum one day and start out with "I'll answer questions about <put subject here>"
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TERMINATOR View Post
Is it comparable to the ipad?
Nope.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook color