Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Revised March/April Firmware Upgrade coming

Dear ALL:

Most of you had problems with the original March Firmware Upgrade and we withdrew it.

The factory is sending a revised March/April Firmware Upgrade next week ( March 29- April 2). Astak will spend quite a while testing it before we post it.

I do not know if this will restore TTS or not, yet. I do not know, yet, what they added or revised or deleted. So... I cannot give much info today. I just want you to know we are working on it and WHEN we know it is right it will be posted.

The PM has not decided whether to use Beta testers yet. If we do that it may delay posting; but we could be sure it is exactly right. This will be for the 5 inch with a subsequent 6 inch planned slightly after.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Any chance for support in ePubs for Unicode Latin Extended-A, Latin Extended-B ?
http://www.unicode.org/charts/
Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Will the pop up menus font be bigger? (Go to first page, Go to last page etc.) My mom's old eyes would appreciate it.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
You know what, let's just hope it works properly and not ask for all sorts of new fixes/features. Remember this is a re-release of firmware that was so bad it was recalled.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Semp
Enthusiast
Semp doesn't litterSemp doesn't litter

Device: EZReader packet pro
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
You know what, let's just hope it works properly and not ask for all sorts of new fixes/features. Remember this is a re-release of firmware that was so bad it was recalled.
This is not new fixes read “fixes and enhancements list”
Fix: 35
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56133

Semp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Sorry, but I meant fixes that were not in the previously recalled firmware - not fixes already asked for elsewhere in that list. If support in ePubs for Unicode Latin Extended-A, Latin Extended-B wasn't there in the version they recalled, then I expect it won't be in the debugged version when they re-release it.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I strongly agree with Jusmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Sorry, but I meant fixes that were not in the previously recalled firmware - not fixes already asked for elsewhere in that list. If support in ePubs for Unicode Latin Extended-A, Latin Extended-B wasn't there in the version they recalled, then I expect it won't be in the debugged version when they re-release it.
Dear All:

Jusmee is right! I expect that the firmware upgrade due to Astak for testing later this week will be about making things in the origional March upgrade work right. There is always an ongoing list of things that we would love to see occur. But, critical right now is to make the Coolreader work without draining the battery excessively, get the new FB2 version, find out IF they will re-add the TTS function they removed in the March FU, and (LORD HELP US) get the .LIT to work properly. I DO NOT know yet what this new FU will encompass... but new items have to wait. We need to nail down the most pressing concerns if we can!

Realize, also please, that nowhere is it written that the factory MUST maximize a device. We would like it and I am no exception; but the factory does NOT have to install new features and improve things. So far they have been great in assisting all of us... but let us not forget that we have a right to the product as it comes out... not to new features. They did me a hell of a good favor with adding the latest versions of FB2, Coolreader, and .LIT and it really was a favor.

Last edited by Robertb; 03-30-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Give that this is a Linux device I wonder if it would be possible to simply request the code, and then Astak could handle all updates from there. The OS itself is not proprietary, depends how many custom drivers they needed.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I for one am happy to just get the March firmware working properly.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Robert... I was having that discussion with my father the other day... about what "expectations for future support" one could/should have as an end-user from a product.

Tech changes, should a company need to provide updated support? I think there is "limited" expectations one should have, like, making sure flaws are removed... and if the market formats change too much, then yes, keeping their device viable without making the end-user have to buy a new device.

HOWEVER, as a solution to the conflict between factory and Astak... Personally speaking (and I'm a cheap, penny pincher, haha), I would not mind Paypaling like $2 to get a new, improved and new featured firmware on occasion, or as users agree.

That's every end user paying $2 for a user-requested firmware upgrade. So folks wanting to stay back in firmwares , no more cost, and those wanting updates with upgrades, can pay $2 on occasion.

Perhaps everyone would be happy.

Just a friendly thought

--havent even gotten to upgrade my newly arrived PP as my internet's been an issue (anyone know why a 2gb ram, dual core, winXP, Firefox 3.6 system would suddenly start displaying blank menus (empty boxes in File, Edit, View, etc... and have long delays executing commands and even completing your typing?)

Later all !
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:32 AM   #11
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Windows XP...must...restrain...Linux....fangirl...impulses ...

The first thing I'd do would be to run up to date anti-virus scans (maybe using more than one program) and spyware scans. I'm not a Windows geek, but you might want to try AVG Free and Lavasoft. Make sure whatever applications you use have up to date virus and/or spyware definition files.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
Robert... I was having that discussion with my father the other day... about what "expectations for future support" one could/should have as an end-user from a product.

Tech changes, should a company need to provide updated support? I think there is "limited" expectations one should have, like, making sure flaws are removed... and if the market formats change too much, then yes, keeping their device viable without making the end-user have to buy a new device.

HOWEVER, as a solution to the conflict between factory and Astak... Personally speaking (and I'm a cheap, penny pincher, haha), I would not mind Paypaling like $2 to get a new, improved and new featured firmware on occasion, or as users agree.

That's every end user paying $2 for a user-requested firmware upgrade. So folks wanting to stay back in firmwares , no more cost, and those wanting updates with upgrades, can pay $2 on occasion.

Perhaps everyone would be happy.

Just a friendly thought

--havent even gotten to upgrade my newly arrived PP as my internet's been an issue (anyone know why a 2gb ram, dual core, winXP, Firefox 3.6 system would suddenly start displaying blank menus (empty boxes in File, Edit, View, etc... and have long delays executing commands and even completing your typing?)

Later all !
Not a bad idea.

While I love "Free":
Improvements could be sold to existing users for a small sum ($5-10)

The software integrators (They are using many open sourced modules) still need to be paid.

I still expect "flaws" to be fixed for free.
A flaw is an advertised "Feature" that fails to work as advertised (or crashes).
None of the calling a bug fix an "improvement" ( a poorly-working feature that was not mentioned in any Sales literature, does not exist and IS a improvement for update purposes.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post

Later all !
I can't resist a haiku I heard a few years ago.

It worked yesterday.
It no longer works today.
Windows is like that.

That being said, I'm a long time windows (& firefox) user. Does the problem go away when you restart your computer and use firefox for the first time? Do you start a new session or restart the old one? Sometimes a web site will cause peculiar behavior in Firefox and it keeps reappearing until you start a new session. Having too many tabs open at a time can cause a problem although I find I can have as many as 50 tabs open before running into problems. If rebooting doesn't solve the problem and starting a new session doesn't I'd try temporarily disabling your antivirus. Also look in Windows Task Manager to see if firefox is still running. Holding down Control, Shift and Escape at the same time brings up the task manager. Looking on the processes tab will tell you if Firefox is running. You can safely stop that process and see if it improves things.

If none of that works, I'd try reinstalling Firefox. You can try Portable Firefox (at portableapps.com) if you don't want to install over your previous version.

hth,
Jim
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Robertb

Good idea... but would it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not a bad idea.

While I love "Free":
Improvements could be sold to existing users for a small sum ($5-10)

The software integrators (They are using many open sourced modules) still need to be paid.

I still expect "flaws" to be fixed for free.
A flaw is an advertised "Feature" that fails to work as advertised (or crashes).
None of the calling a bug fix an "improvement" ( a poorly-working feature that was not mentioned in any Sales literature, does not exist and IS a improvement for update purposes.)
I thank all of you for the idea. Yes, we even thought maybe charging a token charge of $2-$5 for engineering time might be good. The problem is this is a very varied community on this forum. ALL are good people... but all perceive things differently. I think some would raise holy hell saying it shows Astak is "mean at heart". Others would argue they have a right to new upgrades. And what about upgrades we charge for that may show up later with BeBook or someone else with the same features and no charge. Then, there would be the problem of getting 100-300 members to agree on anything and all pay in the same week or so.

It is a possible solution, and I am not at all against it; but there is also the question of this: "I paid my $5 and I got the upgrade and it did not improve my Text-To-Speech like I had hoped. I want my money back, you crooks!" And then the lynching parties: "Let's all meet at high noon and lynch the evil PM"!! By God, this could spiral out of control!

And THEN: try to define a true "bug fix"!! Is going to 12 font size choices a bug fix or an "improvement"?

ALL of us opn here have one thing in common: we love our Astak device (with the possible exception of a few nice Sony people). Other than that, we are very diverse in how we see things and in our definitions. It is a worthy idea; but could it possibly work?
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
Aptosreader
Aptosreader began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I think another thing to consider is how a company positions itself in the marketplace. When I was shopping for an E-reader last year, I seriously considered the K****e and the N**k. What won me over to Astak was the customer support (heads above the competition). This is what sold me and this is what I tell people who ask my advice on their purchase. I say "go with your strength". If that means supporting legacy products longer than Amazon or B & N would, then it is a very wise investment. The longer my Pocket Pro is supported and improved, the more likely I am to recommend Astak to others (and more likely I will buy from Astak when the time comes for me to upgrade).

Just my 2¢.
Aptosreader is offline   Reply With Quote