Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #91
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm in the please please please modernize the spellings boat. Works much better with my text-to-speech. It's alright for you who want the stuff in its original, but while some of the spellings work, many others just don't translate well. These vision issues of mine are really a downer.
It wasn't a text to speech but the other day we used the GPS, we needed to turn on Avenue N. It was telling us to turn on Avenue North.
I got a kick out of that.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #92
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It wasn't a text to speech but the other day we used the GPS, we needed to turn on Avenue N. It was telling us to turn on Avenue North.
I got a kick out of that.
Yeah, Google does that to me for County Road N.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #93
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm in the please please please modernize the spellings boat. Works much better with my text-to-speech. It's alright for you who want the stuff in its original, but while some of the spellings work, many others just don't translate well. These vision issues of mine are really a downer.
You've got a point! I'm working on a lovely old 1930s illustrated book, today I was testing it, turned on TTS, to hear 'colour' plate pronounced as 'col-OUR' plate, OU as in OUCH. Quite disconcerting!

The funny thing is that it is an American book, written by an American, and the use of 'colour' seems odd in the first place, though it may simply be the time period.

I don't usually modernize the books I create for myself, but I'm a little tempted in this instance!

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #94
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'm reading the Standard Ebooks edition of The Magnificent Ambersons and think they did a very good job in the presentation of the book.

I like it enough that I went back looking for a copy of Frank Norris' McTeague, which they don't have.

So if they have a book you're looking for, give them a go. But be aware that their selection is still pretty limited.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #95
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm reading the Standard Ebooks edition of The Magnificent Ambersons and think they did a very good job in the presentation of the book.

I like it enough that I went back looking for a copy of Frank Norris' McTeague, which they don't have.

So if they have a book you're looking for, give them a go. But be aware that their selection is still pretty limited.
That's the first book I naturally gravitated towards whilst checking out their library. Just emerged from an Orson Welles rabbit hole, and Ambersons played a pivotal role in his career.

Thanks a bunch for the resource. Lots of interesting titles despite the current limited selection. I hope they start adding genre support, as pretty soon it'll be very frustrating to wade through.
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:28 AM   #96
Erickem
Erickem began at the beginning.

Device: Angela
Well I for one am happy with this site. The small changes are quite minor compared to a translation into my first language.

My website: lông mày ngang thái

Last edited by Erickem; 04-10-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Erickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickem View Post
Well I for one am happy with this site. The small changes are quite minor compared to a translation into my first language.
Yeah, it was likely a tempest in a teapot. I've downloaded and read several of their books and appreciate the polish they put in to books being given away for free.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #98
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
[QUOTE=Cinisajoy;3541821]I had to look up collywobbles the other day. It is rather an unknown word now.[/QUOTE

Not in the UK where it is still in common usage.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #99
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Their OPDS URL works in KOReader, but it offers no sorted listing, like calibre or others do. Their catalog opens with just a "All Standard Ebooks" selection on the page, I hope that is just because they are new.

I downloaded "Little Fuzzy" by H. Beam Piper and it looks good. I am old enough that any slight shift in the language seems normal to me. I added the URL to my KOReader OPDS catalog listing, and I think I will keep it for awhile.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:30 PM   #100
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
one book Project Gutengberg seems to have is Swiss Family Robinson but if you look at standard Ebooks, it don't seem to have a version of it, why its in the public domain correct?

Last edited by KindleAZWorKFX; 02-03-2023 at 07:34 PM.
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:38 PM   #101
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleAZWorKFX View Post
one book Project Gutengberg seems to have is Swiss Family Robinson but if you look at standard Ebooks, it don't seem to have a version of it, why its in the public domain correct?
Project Gutenberg is over 50 years old and has many thousands of books.

Standard ebooks is much newer, hasn't had time to produce as many books and doesn't plan to do every public domain book.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:49 PM   #102
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Standard E-books is an open community project. If a book is in the public domain but not in the SE catalogue, that just means nobody has volunteered the time to adapt that book according to SE's guidelines yet.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #103
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Download the old mobi version of highest number full version from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1327
Convert to epub with sensible Calibre settings. Then clean up with Calibre editor. Then convert that to azw3 or kfx for direct transfer to Kindle, (Better than epub Send to Kindle).

I prefer to cleanup the simple old mobi on Gutenberg than have something fussy from Standardebooks.

It might not be a priority for Standardebooks as Swiss Family was panned by critics on release and still is.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:19 AM   #104
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleAZWorKFX View Post
If you've got a few hundred dollars to spare, there's the option to sponsor it outright.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:31 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Download the old mobi version of highest number full version from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1327
Convert to epub with sensible Calibre settings. Then clean up with Calibre editor. Then convert that to azw3 or kfx for direct transfer to Kindle, (Better than epub Send to Kindle).

I prefer to cleanup the simple old mobi on Gutenberg than have something fussy from Standardebooks.

It might not be a priority for Standardebooks as Swiss Family was panned by critics on release and still is.
In the other StandardEbooks thread (where the arguments are), I did clean up on of their eBooks and the code is now so simple that it will work on any program that properly handles ePub unlike the original code that was just downright awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote