Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello from Montreal

Hello everyone. I have been quietly hanging around these forums for 2 years or more, checking in almost daily for any bit of news regarding advancements in the E-book reader industry.

While I was tempted on several occasions to join in and offer my 2 cents worth, it wasn't until Canada needed my help in desertgrandma's poll that I finally decided to sign up.

I do not currently own an E-Ink based reader, and below is series of top 4 lists summarizing what I am looking for in an E-book reader, and why I still haven't found it.

Planned usage stats:
1) 50% technical books in pdf, chm, or even plaintext formats. (programming languages, networking, OS manuals, etc)
2) 40% public domain books
3) 5% purchased books
4) 5% Wikipedia or other similar online articles (text only is ok for now)

Most important factors for me are:
1) Reasonably smooth navigation and comfortable viewing of technical books
2) Price.
3) Linux, or at least Mac OS, compatible. (I live in a house without Windows)
4) Open to developers, with active community and 3rd party software available.

Top reasons I haven't purchased an E-book reader yet:
1) The models that are most likely to suit my needs (Iliad, PRS-700) are too expensive for my liking.
2) The one model that I think looks great, is reasonably priced, and that I would most likely just go ahead and purchase, is tragically not available in my area (Quebec)
3) No E-Ink readers of any kind are available in my area for a "try before you buy" kind of hands on examination.
4) The overall quality and availability is improving with each new generation, and I like to believe that next batch of readers will be real winners.

Although my heart is set on eventually purchasing an E-Ink based reader, I may decide to put that ambition on hold and purchase one of the upcoming Asus eee pc convertibles. They look very interesting, and would probably be a decent substitute for a dedicated E-book reader, especially for technical books and reference material. In an ideal world where I'd be fabulously wealthy (and a few inches taller), I would own separate readers for novels and tech manuals.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziguezon View Post
3) Linux, or at least Mac OS, compatible. (I live in a house without Windows)
How do you see out side or get any fresh air?

Welcome to the forum!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How do you see out side or get any fresh air?
I go to work, where I am surrounded by Windows, but luckily, my cubicle is Windows free.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Ziguezon and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I go to work, where I am surrounded by Windows, but luckily, my cubicle is Windows free.
Can you suggest a way for me to convince my company to switch my dev group from Windows machines to Mac or even Linux... and to switch all our development from .Net to Ruby on Rails? While the Mac's cost a bit more most of the dev software would be free. (Gotta have Textmate). Of course VIM is free.

BOb
Old 02-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Can you suggest a way for me to convince my company to switch my dev group from Windows machines to Mac or even Linux... and to switch all our development from .Net to Ruby on Rails? While the Mac's cost a bit more most of the dev software would be free. (Gotta have Textmate). Of course VIM is free.
Hmm. Well maybe you could... no wait that won't work. Well how about if you were to...no, that's not good either. Well then there's always... ooh, never mind that; too risky.
I might have to get back to you on this one.

Seriously though, the only reason I can get away with it is that the company I work for is very very small, and there aren't really any corporate standards in place. If it were more of a corporate setting, I doubt I would be able to convince anyone to change their minds about established policies/methodologies. I wish you luck, however.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm. Well maybe you could... no wait that won't work. Well how about if you were to...no, that's not good either. Well then there's always... ooh, never mind that; too risky.
Yea, I thought of all those too.

Quote:
I wish you luck, however.
Thanks.

BOb
Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Quote:
Upon further consideration, I suppose I would start by pointing out the benefits of switching to a new development environment, along with some good examples of successful implementations. If the response seemed positive, I would then suggest a
few small trial tests on non-critical internal only intranet type apps.

In reality, even though I am a Linux/Open Source enthusiast, I would be afraid to propose this type of major change, as I would feel responsible for every small problem along the way (and I'm sure there would be many of those).
Old 02-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In reality, even though I am a Linux/Open Source enthusiast, I would be afraid to propose this type of major change, as I would feel responsible for every small problem along the way (and I'm sure there would be many of those).
Yes I agree. Although we are an ISV so any project would have to eventually ship to customers. However, as the chief architect it is up to me to recommend technical direction. But, I do have to consider risks and costs. Loosing all our current legacy code is a big cost. But, we are planning for a major new release with technical changes so I am investigating Ruby on Rails and doing some spikes to build a small bit of our app Front-to-back to see how it looks.

If we could triple our user-per-server ratio on our ASP business it could possible help the cause.

BOb
Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis

Sounds like a dilemma. One which I'm sure you are not alone in. Even though I have no experience with it, the prospect of switching to something like Ruby on Rails sounds fun and exciting, and it's viability is becoming hard to ignore.

I am biased though, as I would gladly accept the switch to any open framework.