Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Converted 600 cover for 650- It's Easy & Cheap from Ebay

I posted the following as a reply to a thread about lighted covers.
I thought that it would be helpful if it starts its own thread.

I decided not to Quote my earlier text.

Ebay isn't the only source for the 600 cover. Search for Sony PRSA-SC6/BC. When I was looking there were several non-Ebay sources.
--------------------DIY-------------------------------------------
I purchased Sony PRSA-SC6/BC Standard Book Cover PRS 600 on Ebay.
It was cheap. I had to modify it somewhat. I'll try to describe these modifications. Sorry I didn't take photos while I was doing that. I've added 3 photos after the conversion

The 600 cover held the 600 reader by 2 pins. These 2 pins, at the top and bottom of a plastic bar in the center of the cover, will fit into holes in the 650 as they did for the 600. The "pin" holes are at the left side of both the 600 and the 650.

But-the 600 cover is a bit too tall for the 650. Thus the pins are a bit too far apart for the 650. Solution: Remove the plastic bar, shorten it so that pins fit 650 well,reattach the plastic bar to the 600 in the original location. Manipulate [bend very slightly] the bar so that the pins fit into the "pin" holes of the 650

I'll detail what I did.

1. I removed the plastic bar from the 600 cover. It is attached to the 600 cover by tiny L-shaped hooks on the bottom surface of the bar. I pried the plastic bar from the cover using a screwdriver -carefully.

2. Next I removed the tiny plastic hooks from the underside of the bar. I did this first by clipping them with a diagonal wire cutter and then filing the underside of the bar reasonably flat/smooth where the hooks were before. At this point the hooks are gone from the bar.You could remove the hooks any way you prefer.

3. I then shortened the plastic bar so that the pins at the bar's top and bottom would fit into the little " pin" holes at the top and bottom of the left side of the 650. I used the diagonal wire cutter to remove a little bit of the length of the bar. You can do it with any other tool [hacksaw, heavy scissors,knife, etc.]. The bar is now in 2 pieces.

4. Then I re-attached the plastic bar to its original 600 cover location. I used two-sided foam backed tape. I narrowed the 2 sided tape to match the width of the bar. I used a single length of tape. I pressed the tape onto the cover, being careful to center it top to bottom. I then pressed the bar onto the exposed sticky surface of the tape. I did not find it necessary to glue the ends of the 2 pieces of the bar. They butt together reasonably well.

5. If you shortened the bar correctly you can fit the pins into the "pin" holes of the 650 [again - they are at top & bottom, left edge of the reader]. I had to bend the bar a very slightly to get the pins into the holes. This step will make more sense when you are attaching the 650 to the bar and thus to the cover.

Questions? Sorry no photos or drawings. Maybe some forum member who performs this conversion will take & post photos.

With my converted reader cover, I use a generic light whose base clips onto the back cover of the reader. It has AAA batteries in the base. The clip is heavy duty spring loaded. A 10-12 inch plastic covered heavy bendable wire extends from the base to the led light head. An on-off switch is on this head. I find I can adjust its position to comfortably light the 650's screen evenly. I have seen many similar book lights. This one cost around $6.00 [USD] at a local arts & crafts store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pin-hole.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	60034   Click image for larger version

Name:	pin-on-plastic-bar.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	60035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plastic-Bar-Cut.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	60036  

Last edited by Vienna01; 10-21-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Very creative and resourceful!
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
nice idea! I really like those original 600 covers.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I did something similar for my 350, but used the foam backed tape to attach the 350 directly to the cover. Best Buy was selling the original 300 black covers for about $8 a few weeks ago, so I picked up one. I just removed the plastic holder and didn't reuse it.

I'm not sure I would trust the plastic holder that had been cut in two and reattached by foam tape to hold my 350 in place. It probably needs better reinforcement and a stronger adhesive. But hopefully you won't have an accident with it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	350-cover-01.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	60085   Click image for larger version

Name:	350-cover-02.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	60086   Click image for larger version

Name:	350-cover-03.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	60087  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-22-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Used Scotch(tm) Heavy Duty Mounting Tape-Good Long Term

Yes, gluing the 2 pieces of the plastic bar would of course improve the strength. Originally, I was going to do that. I also considered reinforcing the bottom of the plastic bar by gluing a small strip of poly-type plastic to it. I also considered gluing the bar to the cover using a flexible cement. Finally I decided that the sticky foam tape would be enough. I have had very good long term [several years] results with this product attaching all kinds of things to all kinds of surfaces. Getting it unstuck after months is the issue.

I DO wear braces/suspenders AND a belt [for some outdoor sports]
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
I went to buy the prs 600 cover from bestbuy so that I can convert it to prs 650 cover based on your tutorial. However bestbuy guys gave me the prs 600 cover with light for $9. Is it possible to use the similar mod for the official prs 600 lighted cover as well?
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #7
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I did the same thing; purchased a 600 cover on ebay, then modified it for the 650; I originally used gorilla glue, but it lifted within a few weeks, so I graduated to superglue, which seems to be holding up nicely. I also made a fleece sleeve for my reader this past weekend and will post pictures soon. It was a minor sewing (hand) and glue gun job and came out nice. Someone on another thread just posted that their local staples has the older model covers for a few dollars, so consider that as a source as well.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
I went to buy the prs 600 cover from bestbuy so that I can convert it to prs 650 cover based on your tutorial. However bestbuy guys gave me the prs 600 cover with light for $9. Is it possible to use the similar mod for the official prs 600 lighted cover as well?
To me, the lighted cover is easier to modify. The 2 tabs that hold the bracket on are simple to pop open. Then only a strip of double-sided tape holds it to the cover. I chose not to center the reader in the cover. I removed the bracket, cut the top part off with scissors and replaced the bottom section to it's orginal location. I trimmed the top piece to fit the 350 and used super glue gel to stick it in place. Works well, so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_057.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	63676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_056.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	63677  
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
white_rat
white_rat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Converting 300 cover to 350

I know I'm responding to a very old thread, but I wanted to use my old PRS-300 cover with my PRS-350 but maintain its integrity as my PRS-300 still works great. As a quick & easy alternate solution I took apart an old ballpoint pen, snipped about 16mm of the ink tube off (the clean end, of course) and found it works great as an adapter bridge. It's holding up great on its own but if it ever starts to bend or wear out it would be very easy to cut and trim a nail and provide some metal internal support.

Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01455.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	528.6 KB
ID:	81409  

Last edited by white_rat; 01-16-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: removed photo link - too large
white_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
genius, white-rat.

that's a fantastic quick mod. i wonder if this will work on the prs 600 case for the prs 650. i will try it. very nice thinkthrough. hope it works. thanks for the tip, regardless. maybe i'll pick up a 300 case for my 350 too now. good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_rat View Post
I know I'm responding to a very old thread, but I wanted to use my old PRS-300 cover with my PRS-350 but maintain its integrity as my PRS-300 still works great. As a quick & easy alternate solution I took apart an old ballpoint pen, snipped about 16mm of the ink tube off (the clean end, of course) and found it works great as an adapter bridge. It's holding up great on its own but if it ever starts to bend or wear out it would be very easy to cut and trim a nail and provide some metal internal support.

Photo attached.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote