Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #136
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hama View Post
Thank you so much, but I do, as you see, I can´t change the size of the letters.
What format file? PDF? ePub.
PDFs, as a rule, don't allow font-size changes. Instead, PDF viewers offer zoom factors that magnify the pagy.
*Some* pdfs allow you to ignore everything but text and "reflow" it on a page by page basis.
PDf is an electronic paper format, not an ebook format like ePub, so there is a limit to what you do with it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #137
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I really like this reader! But the font formatting seems very erratic. For example, I have it set to Droid Serif, but in the current book I'm reading (the latest Liz Williams, purchased from Smashwords), only the preface is serif and the rest is nonserif - unless I check "embolden font". I have to increase font size to 28 or 30 to make the main body of the book readable, and then the prefatory material font is huge. Furthermore, almost every time I open the book the text is enormous and stretched out horizontally, then it (slowly) reformats and goes back to the small nonserif font. I have other books from Smashwords that are OK.

Line spacing varies wildly from one book to the next, also.

I have a feeling all this may be css related, but I can't find a setting for it to ignore css formatting in the document, like some readers have. Any thoughts?

PS. Oh, and the English hyphenation dictionary...isn't.

Last edited by wayrad; 01-24-2011 at 01:13 PM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #138
hama
hama began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
What format file? PDF? ePub.
PDFs, as a rule, don't allow font-size changes. Instead, PDF viewers offer zoom factors that magnify the pagy.
*Some* pdfs allow you to ignore everything but text and "reflow" it on a page by page basis.
PDf is an electronic paper format, not an ebook format like ePub, so there is a limit to what you do with it.
Thank you.
Yes, Pdf filer - unfortunately the only option I have to borrow free books from the library (DRM.)
I use Aldiko 2.0 on my Galaxy Tab.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #139
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I have a feeling all this may be css related, but I can't find a setting for it to ignore css formatting in the document, like some readers have. Any thoughts?
You can do what I do to get uniform styles for different books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolReader Users Guide
External styles, CSS
For fine tuning of styles, you can change Cascading Style Sheet definition for format. CSS files for different formats (fb2.css, epub.css, htm.css, rtf.css, txt.css, chm.css) can be placed to /.cr3/ directory of SD card. In this case they override internal style in package. As a base, styles from GIT repository of CoolReader (crengine) SourceForge project can be used.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #140
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I really like this reader! But the font formatting seems very erratic. For example, I have it set to Droid Serif, but in the current book I'm reading (the latest Liz Williams, purchased from Smashwords), only the preface is serif and the rest is nonserif - unless I check "embolden font". I have to increase font size to 28 or 30 to make the main body of the book readable, and then the prefatory material font is huge. Furthermore, almost every time I open the book the text is enormous and stretched out horizontally, then it (slowly) reformats and goes back to the small nonserif font. I have other books from Smashwords that are OK.

Line spacing varies wildly from one book to the next, also.

PS. Oh, and the English hyphenation dictionary...isn't.

Most likely, all described styles are defined in document's internal CSS.
Since cr3.0.42-6, there is and action for turning document styles on/off.
It's available for assignment on key or tap zone.

This will work good if document is in docbook format (uses separate element for different document part types).
Unfortunately, a lot of epubs use simple html, and only div and span with class. E.g. bold and italic use the same span element, but different class. These classes are described inside document's internal .css. Turning internal stylesheet off would turn document nearly into plain text.
But if your books are from the same source and similarly formatted (have the same internal stylesheet), you can append these styles to standard CoolReader's epub.css, and them modify wrong styles.

E.g. I've seend ebook with paragraph style margin-bottom: 6.25em;
This causes very big space between paragraphs.
Buggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #141
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
Most likely, all described styles are defined in document's internal CSS.
Since cr3.0.42-6, there is and action for turning document styles on/off.
It's available for assignment on key or tap zone.
Thanks, I found it. I got a "reformatting" message when I toggled it, but nothing changed in the book.
Quote:
But if your books are from the same source and similarly formatted (have the same internal stylesheet), you can append these styles to standard CoolReader's epub.css, and them modify wrong styles.
Unfortunately I buy books from a number of different sources, so it might be easier to just read them with an app that formats them all the same way, especially since I have a poor (as in, nonexistent) understanding of CSS. I'll continue watching Coolreader closely though!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #142
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You can do what I do to get uniform styles for different books.
Thanks for the pointers - right now it's Greek to me, I'm afraid; learning something about CSS is one of those things I should probably do, but have always managed to avoid.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #143
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
Link anchors work! I finally have full footnotes/endnotes navigation! Well, that was the last of my requirements. As promised, I just got the silver donation. Thanks for making my ol' Archos 5 a much more enjoyable eReader!

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #144
Buggins
Zealot
Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buggins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New version uploaded to SourceForge

- fixed crash scenario
- fixes in CSS processing
- new option for selection action
- options to disable hiding of directories w/o books (speeds up program start and browser navigation by disabling directory scanning in depth)
- text selection menu item moved to first page of menu, instead of Search
- document internal styles toggle action added to menu
- page image rescale disabled during orientation.window size change
- icons on options items removed
- "About Cool Reader" dialog is added (shows version, support email, project homepage link, list of third party components used, GPL license text).
Old 01-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #145
vja4Him
vja4Him
vja4Him began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Cool Reader 3 Android port is available on Market

CoolReader is free, cross platform, open source (GPL2) e-book viewer.

Supported formats
  • FB2 - full support, including images, styles, footnotes, tables
  • TXT, TCR - automatic reformatting of paragraphs, with heading detection
  • HTML - partial support, but includes css styles, tables, lists, etc.
  • EPUB - supported styles, images, tables, TOC. Not supported: SVG, embedded fonts, MathML
  • RTF - limited support, no images, styles supported partially
  • CHM - limited support

Features
  • View as paper book pages or scroll
  • One or two pages in landscape mode
  • Internal file browser to open books
  • Configurable font face, size, style, interline space, text color, background (solid color, tiled or stretched image)
  • External fonts, background images, CSS styles
  • Book coverpages in file browser
  • Supports install on SD (Android 2.2+)
  • Customizable tap zone actions
  • Customizable key actions (including volume keys)
  • Can lock sensor screen and trackball
  • Can set custom display backlight brightness

Project page on SourceForge
Manual Wiki
Russian forum

Please post your objections and feature requests under this topic.
I couldn't find Cool Reader 3 on Market ....
vja4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #146
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vja4Him View Post
I couldn't find Cool Reader 3 on Market ....
I just checked the Market and it is there. Using the Market app on your Android phone use the search term "Cool Reader", without the quotes. If you are having a problem with the Market, you can also find the install APK using the SourceForge link that Buggins provided.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #147
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
How can I tell which version I have?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #148
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
How can I tell which version I have?
Android's Application Manager will tell you the version number of any installed application. You get to the Application Manager via the Settings Icon.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #149
Buggins
Zealot

New versions for Android, Win32 and Linux uploaded to SourceForge

Android version 3.0.43-1 contains initial version of selection bookmarks (comments or corrections). Useful for proofreading. E.g. You can select text, and save bookmark with initial and corrected text. Or you can select text ans save bookmark, with optional comment.
In this version, onl adding of bookmarks is supported. Bookmark list, and highlight in text is coming soon (tonight?)
Bookmark list export will be implemented soon, too.

Last edited by Buggins; 01-30-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #150
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
New versions for Android, Win32 and Linux uploaded to SourceForge
The version for Windows is literally cool and clean. Faster book opening than even the calibre's one. Future version with two columns will look so good.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader