Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #46
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I just joined the forum and am looking for advice...

I just received my Nook Color for Christmas and am not real impressed with it. While searching reviews and comments on it I discovered info on rooting. Please bare with me...I am not a computer techie and do not totally understand how to "root". But....I would love to have the Android Market available among other features that the NC does not have now.

Can a novice root a NC? If not, where can I go to find someone who will root it? I imagine it wont be easy to find someone to do this since it voids the warranty (unless I hold them harmless to the device after rooting).

Really would like to do this but feel its too complex for little old me.

Any advice??
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #47
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I hate the way the nook browser zooms the web pages, does rooting the device resore the default behavior of pinch to zoom.

I've noticed the pinch to zoom for the pdf reader is really bad, was pinch to zoom disabled on the web because the nook cannot handle it?
I never hesitated when it came to the first root, or the reflash and then the second root. The added functionality of a real Android tablet makes it worth it. While I primarily use the NC as a reader (yes, that's why I bought it) I was disappointed in the stock browser...even on 2.1, so I rooted.

With the market I was able to get Dolphin HD and this brings full pinch/zoom to the browser. Moreover, by following Scion and many others I've found just the right apps to make the NC a great little tablet as well as a great ereader. I had an iPad but sold it and bought my wife a Kindle 3 and the NC for me and STILL had money left over. More $$ for ebooks

Go for it. It's easy and makes the device a complete package.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #48
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
Since getting the Nook Color, I have thought about rooting but I am still inclined to wait to see what the January update brings. I was a little concerned about the warranty being voided but in another thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...rotection+plan,they mentioned getting a 3rd party warranty from SquareTrade. I just called them on the phone and asked about Rooting the Color Nook. They said it would not affect their warranty but they do not cover software issues with it, only when it breaks from being dropped and that’s my main concern. Plus they will cover it for 3 years when B&N will only cover it for 2.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #49
lorddon
lorddon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
I didn't so much root it as I helped the device realize its true, inborn, potential. I can't imagine running it stock now. That would be like putting pedals on a Bugatti and going as fast as you can crank.
lorddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@bilbothejust thanks fir the advice. I have since rooted the device, I'm running dolphin hd for my browser and bought ezpdf. Oh and the kindle for android. The experience is wonderful full pinch to zoom for browsing and pdf. Ezpdf is an awesome pdf reader best in the android platform.

The only problem is i'm spending more time playing/tinkering with the nook i've yet to read a book
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #51
lorddon
lorddon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The only problem is i'm spending more time playing/tinkering with the nook i've yet to read a book
I find myself running into that same issue.
lorddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #52
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I do not have a NOOKcolor, but if I did I would root it and not worry about the warranty.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #53
MusingCoyote
MusingCoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I can count on one hand the number of times I've wished I'd used the warranty instead of fixing it myself, and have four fingers left. So, no, I don't particularly care about warranties.
If I do something stupid, like drop it, then I've done something stupid, and probably deserve the fact that I'm now SOL and without an ereader again
MusingCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 AM   #54
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
The first thing I did this year (2011) was root my Nook. I was really afraid, and it took a lot of trial and error and tinkering and rereading instructions and reformatting SD cards, and still it's not perfect, but it's SOOOOOOOOOO much better than it was before. DH, who has a Droid 2, was in awe and kept playing with it. He actually showed me how to do a few things, as I'm unfamiliar with Android because I use an iPhone 4.

I look forward to playing around with it some more, and seeing what it's capable of, and I don't worry about the warranty. I'm really glad I rooted. It was worth it.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote