Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
sws
Enthusiast
sws began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Touch HD3
News management: delete older than xxx on cli

Hi,

I am running a calibre server for news only on a hosted vserver. That's why I manage everything by using the cli. I can load news via ebook-convert, I can update meta data via ebook-meta and I can add news to calibre via calibredb. I created some simple scripts to do the job daily, weekly, every fortnight and monthly by cronjobs.

But I didn't find an option to automatically delete news in the same way as it is possible in the GUI: "delete news older than xxx". So here is my question:

Can I delete news epubs form the calibre db by script in the way described above, and if so, how?

Greets,
Sebastian
sws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibredb remove
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
sws
Enthusiast

Well, yes.
But how do I write a script that reads the IDs of the epubs I want to delete?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

calibredb list --fields timestamp,authors
Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
sws
Enthusiast

Thank you Kovid for your quick answers. I will give it another try.
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just for completeness:

Code:
calibredb list --search 'date:<60daysago and authors:=calibre and tags:News'
will find all news downloads whose timestamp is older than 60 days

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 10-03-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And

Code:
calibredb list --search 'date:<1daysago and tags:news and authors:=calibre' | cut -f1 -d" " | tail -n+2
will give you the list of ids.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
sws
Enthusiast

Hello Kovid,

thanks again for this quick responses. I'm really impressed.

I tried to execute your code but generated the following error:

Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 58, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/library/cli.py", line 1361, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/library/cli.py", line 198, in command_list
File "site-packages/calibre/library/cli.py", line 64, in do_list
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 833, in search
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 851, in search_getting_ids
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 207, in parse
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 218, in _parse
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 226, in evaluate
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 232, in evaluate_and
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 226, in evaluate
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 265, in evaluate_token
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 269, in _get_matches
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 698, in get_matches
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 413, in get_dates_matches
ParseException: Date conversion error (at char 8), (line:1, col:9)
So there is something going on with date conversion. Do you have a hint how to get rid of this error message?

OS is Debian Squeeze,
Python is: Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Dec 27 2010, 00:02:40)
[GCC 4.4.5] on linux2

Greets,
Sebastian
Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need to use the correct localized version of daysago for whatever language you have set on your system.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
sws
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need to use the correct localized version of daysago for whatever language you have set on your system.
Sorry to stress your patience further, but I don'T speak python. How do I use the correct localized version of daysago?

$ locale

gives me a complete german utf8 environment.
Quote:
LANG=de_DE.utf8
LANGUAGE=de_DE.utf8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.utf8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.utf8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ALL=de_DE.utf8
Where should I look for the german version of "daysago"?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I look in the calibre source tree, there is a file src\calibre\translations\de.po (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kovid/c...slations/de.po)

Within it I see
Code:
msgid "daysago"
msgstr "vor Tagen"
so I presume you want to use
Code:
calibredb list --search 'date:<1vor tagen and tags:news and authors:=calibre' | cut -f1 -d" " | tail -n+2
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That would be kind of strange, and in that case I'd just run this command with LANG=C

Edit: Which doesn't work either because it's a language setting in Calibre.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-04-2012 at 08:59 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_LANG=en calibredb ...
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ah, nice.

Reading into the source code, it also accepts _daysago instead of daysago regardless of language.

EDIT: I take it back, _daysago only works when it's not English? I don't get it.
EDIT2: ah, it's because _daysago ends with daysago ... horror

Search filters should stay untranslated I think, it's not like you replace "and" with "und" either. And it's not easy to guess what the translation could be.

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-04-2012 at 09:08 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
sws
Enthusiast

Sorry, but error persists:

Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 58, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/library/cli.py", line 1361, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/library/cli.py", line 198, in command_list
File "site-packages/calibre/library/cli.py", line 64, in do_list
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 833, in search
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 851, in search_getting_ids
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 207, in parse
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 218, in _parse
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 232, in evaluate_and
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 265, in evaluate_token
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/search_query_parser.py", line 269, in _get_matches
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 698, in get_matches
File "site-packages/calibre/library/caches.py", line 413, in get_dates_matches
ParseException: Date conversion error (at char 4), (line:1, col:5)
I even tried to execute this comand on the python interpreter command line including
Quote:
import locale
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, '')

import os
os.system("calibredb list --search 'date:<1daysago and tags:news and authors:=calibre' | cut -f1 -d" " | tail -n+2")
Didn't help, same error.

Tags
news delete cli