Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
karl1c
Connoisseur
karl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: iPad
How is this possible?

I wrote a script to sync metadata from Calibre to KyBook3, which works well. I decided it should really be a plugin and downloaded the interface plugin demo and got it working as a plugin. Went to open Calibre the next day and the plugin refused to load (although calibre-debug -g says it has).

Thinking I must have changed something, I commented out code until I got it working again and started putting the code back in bit by bit. But it kept loading and working until all the code was back in. (The md5s of the file were the same.)

Does anyone know what could cause this?
karl1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Ya need to post the debug log (please wrap in spoiler),
And maybe attach your zipped script so the gurus can see what you did
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
karl1c
Connoisseur
karl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitykarl1c has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Log file

The plugin was working last night on my MacBook. I went to produce the log file this morning and did this:

> calibre-customize -b .
> Plugin updated: KyBook3 Sync (1, 0, 1)

Started Calibre and Restart in Debug Mode from the toolbar and got this:
Spoiler:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 157, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 171, in init_iaction
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/__init__.py", line 612, in load_actual_plugin
File "lib/python2.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/zipplugin.py", line 184, in load_module
File "calibre_plugins.kybook3_sync.ui", line 18, in <module>
File "calibre_plugins.kybook3_sync.main", line 23, in <module>
File "calibre_plugins.kybook3_sync.cal2ky3", line 26, in <module>
File "calibre_plugins.kybook3_sync.requests.__init_ _", line 43, in <module>
ImportError: No module named urllib3
calibre Debug log
calibre 3.34 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-17.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '17.3.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 17.3.0: Thu Nov 9 18:09:22 PST 2017; root:xnu-4570.31.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.12
OSX: ('10.13.2', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: en_GB
Successfully initialized third party plugins: KyBook3 Sync (1, 0, 1)
calibre 3.34 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-17.3.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '17.3.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 17.3.0: Thu Nov 9 18:09:22 PST 2017; root:xnu-4570.31.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.12
OSX: ('10.13.2', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: en_GB
Successfully initialized third party plugins: KyBook3 Sync (1, 0, 1)
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 72.0 x 72.0
physicalDpi: 114.000001712 x 114.000001712
Using calibre Qt style: True
[0.00] Starting up...
[0.02] Showing splash screen...
[0.22] splash screen shown
[0.22] Initializing db...
[0.24] db initialized
[0.24] Constructing main UI...
[2.04] main UI initialized...
[2.04] Hiding splash screen
[2.08] splash screen hidden
[2.08] Started up in 2.08 seconds with 8 books

So it seems it is intermittently failing to find urllib3. (Or, possibly, other modules when it fails.) As I said, if I comment out the code and put it back in again the problem goes away and randomly comes back again. Is it a memory issue? As I'm loading quite a lot of Python code to get the Requests module.

Last edited by karl1c; 03-26-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #4
karl1c
Connoisseur

BTW, urllib3 is being loaded by the Requests module rather than 'directly' from the plugin scripts.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot depend on random python libraries unless yo bundle them with your plugin. requests is not part of calibre's python environment. Use mechanize or the stdlib urllib modules instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
karl1c
Connoisseur

@kovidgoyal It is bundled in the plugin. That's why it does work intermittently. :-(
Old 03-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
karl1c
Connoisseur

It seems the problem was that Calibre would randomly refuse to load the python modules included in the plugin zip file. I resolved the problem by removing the need for the modules.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
I did have a look at this last night, but ran out of time.

The problem I saw was that the import were not finding the modules. The times I have done something like this, I needed to prefix the included module name with the plugins details. An example I have is:

Code:
import calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.httplib2 as httplib2
This is inside another module in the package.

I made this change for a few of the statements, but, didn't have time to do all.

Unfortunately, that would mean going through all those modules and changing the import statements. There might be a better way with a load library statement or using relative paths, but, I haven't experimented.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote