Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2022, 10:05 PM   #1
Ozandy
Ozandy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Can i change the font size in a downloaded book

i downloaded a pdf book and have converted it to epub via calibre.
once i transferred it to my kindle the font size is too small to read and i cant enlarge it on the kindle itself
i haven't experienced this anytime before
is there anything i can do in calibre to increase the font size and then download to my kindle?

thanks - this is my first post !!
Ozandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #2
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quick and dirty: Make a backup copy of the epub. Open the epub in calibre's editor. On the left go to the Styles section with the paint brush. For each .css file in there look for all lines starting with
Code:
font-size:
and change whatever is after the colon to 100%; keeping that semicolon. For example, if it's 0.5em; (with or without a semicolon) change it to 100%;.

That will make it a bit ugly since all text, even chapter heads possibly, the same size. But at that point you can use the text size slider of your ereader to adjust it to your liking.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2022, 10:54 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Alternatively to my heavy-handed labor intensive method, figure out how to fiddle with the options in the Convert Books window, under Look & Feel most likely, to get what you want.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:58 PM   #4
Ozandy
Ozandy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
thank you - i will give it a try ..
Ozandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:16 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozandy View Post
i downloaded a pdf book and have converted it to epub via calibre.
once i transferred it to my kindle the font size is too small to read and i cant enlarge it on the kindle itself
No matter what weird code you have, you should be able to increase the fontsize normally on the Kindle.

Could this "conversion" have just made the book into a series of images, one per page?

True conversion should make a normal ebook, with the text in xhtml which you can restyle in the CSS code.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert