Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Looking for "Neverness" by David Zindell as an ebook

Hey gang, I know this is a longshot, but if anyone can help it'll be you

I want to read Neverness by David Zindell, but of course can't find any ebook version of it. Fictionwise has the next 2 books written after Neverness:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a4...-Zindell/?si=0

But no one has the one I want I'll admit I even sailed the troubled waters where ne'er do wells dwell in my search, but the only thing I turned up is a pretty poorly OCR'd version that lost all the formatting.

I checked with my local library system and even printed copies are hard to come by it seems which makes an ebook version all the more attractive.

I've also been looking for these with similar results:
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons
  • The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (set of 4 books)

Any suggestions or should I just hit up Amazon for some printed versions and move on?

Last edited by Shadowplay; 09-21-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo :p
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No help from me, sorry. I just felt compelled to say you've just named three of my all-time SF favourites. When purging my shelves, these will always be keepsies.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
No help from me, sorry. I just felt compelled to say you've just named three of my all-time SF favourites. When purging my shelves, these will always be keepsies.
It's comments like this that make the lack of availability even more frustrating.

But I'm glad to hear I have a good stretch of reading ahead of me - one way or another!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
It's comments like this that make the lack of availability even more frustrating.
Tee hee.

No, I'm sorry. I'm curious myself, because I would buy them all as ebooks again.

Quote:
But I'm glad to hear I have a good stretch of reading ahead of me - one way or another!
One note, with a sort-of-but-not-really spoiler:

Spoiler:
When I read Hyperion, I didn't know there would be sequels. I was very satisfied with its ending. Some people, upon finishing it, have been frustrated that they felt they had to read sequels because of the ending - that it was an unfinished book, requiring the sequels. I'm not (in)validating either reaction...just mentioning it, so that you know sequels exist

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
No, I'm sorry. I'm curious myself, because I would buy them all as ebooks again.
I know what you mean. This probably won't lead anywhere, but I found on David Zindell's website he lists his email address so I emailed him and talked briefly about mobileread.com (gave it a big plug hehe.) I told him this is where Neverness has been suggested to me on several occasions and that there's absolutely an audience ready to by electronic versions of his work if he and his publisher felt so inclined as to release more ebooks

Quote:
One note, with a sort-of-but-not-really spoiler:

Spoiler:
When I read Hyperion, I didn't know there would be sequels. I was very satisfied with its ending. Some people, upon finishing it, have been frustrated that they felt they had to read sequels because of the ending - that it was an unfinished book, requiring the sequels. I'm not (in)validating either reaction...just mentioning it, so that you know sequels exist
I had already read up on that quasi-spoiler through wikipedia so I'm aware and hoping it just least to even more quality reading.

As an aside here, do you know anything about some of the other books by David Zindell? I see he's done several things since Neverness (outside of the same-setting books.)
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

As an aside here, do you know anything about some of the other books by David Zindell? I see he's done several things since Neverness (outside of the same-setting books.)
I recall when The Lightstone came out as the start of another series. I'd set myself some groundrules at that stage, that I wouldn't start a series unless it was complete. I haven't been back to know if it's complete yet, though i see there are a few others. I'd be interested in hearing views of it too.

I'd love to know if you hear back from David Zindell. Just as a standalone, not fully resolved (thus the subsequent trilogy), I think Neverness is a brilliant book. I've read it three times (admittedly from necessity, rereading it prior to two books in the subsequent trilogy).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 09-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
fiver
Enthusiast
fiver doesn't litterfiver doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Neverness is my 2nd favorite novel (the 1st being Watership Down). I have a nice first edition UK hardcover on my shelf that my wife bought me one christmas many years ago.

Also, The Broken God is not in e-book either and I loved that book almost as much when I read it.

Unfortunately, I have never made it more than a couple hundred pages into The LightStone. I don't suppose anyone can encourage me that that series is worth it?

Michael
fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
digibookreader
digibookreader began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hey gang, I know this is a longshot, but if anyone can help it'll be you

I want to read Neverness by David Zindell, but of course can't find any ebook version of it. Fictionwise has the next 2 books written after Neverness:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a4...-Zindell/?si=0

But no one has the one I want I'll admit I even sailed the troubled waters where ne'er do wells dwell in my search, but the only thing I turned up is a pretty poorly OCR'd version that lost all the formatting.

I checked with my local library system and even printed copies are hard to come by it seems which makes an ebook version all the more attractive.

I've also been looking for these with similar results:
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons
  • The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (set of 4 books)

Any suggestions or should I just hit up Amazon for some printed versions and move on?
Hi,
This guy can help you, he has exactly what you're looking for. I've discovered him accidently and already had a deal with him.
Excellent suff and quick delivery. He is here:

[link deleted]

Moderator Note:

Please do not post links to pirated material. Doing so again may lead to you being banned from MobileRead.

Thank you.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-23-2010 at 03:18 AM.
digibookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Shadowplay
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digibookreader View Post
Hi,
This guy can help you, he has exactly what you're looking for. I've discovered him accidently and already had a deal with him.
Excellent suff and quick delivery. He is here:

[link removed]
Wow no offense, but that looks hugely like a scam *and* it's your first post here on mobileread. I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk about it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving that site my email address, let alone my money not to mention the nature of selling others' copyrighted works.

Last edited by montsnmags; 09-23-2010 at 03:18 AM. Reason: link to apparently copyright infringing material removed