Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
alexdc
alexdc began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hard nook case?

Hi,

Is there any hard case for the nook that would be good for traveling? Also, I wish to qualify that I am not looking for a hard cover (there are plenty of those, and I don't think any really provide adequate protection for travel), but an actual case, perhaps in the style of the box the nook comes in, but made in a hard plastic, wood, or metal.

If there is not such an item commercially available, has anyone made one of these? If so, how and what product have you used to create the case? So far (being unsuccessful in finding a commercially produced product), I have been looking for a piece of tupperware, or a tackle box that I might be able to line with foam, but I haven't been able to find a tupperware in a decent size, or a tackle box that does not include some sort of attached separators. Recently, I found a website (I can't find the URL again) that suggests using a cigar box, or a jewlery box, but I haven't yet pursued this avenue.

Thoughts? Ideas? Success stories? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex
alexdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Is there any reason not to use the case it comes in? It is hard plastic and seems very durable. I kept mine just in case I had a need to protect it during travel, although honestly I can't see myself going somewhere without it on my person.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
denisek
denisek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, HTC Incredible, Xoom
Just came back from vacation and never needed a hard case.
I have a m-edge cover and a silicone cover and I just throw the nook in my tote bag.

This is my second trip with the nook and still no problems.

I do know that there are plenty of hard cases out there if you really need one. Ebay has several right now.

Denise
denisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I took a trip to Europe earlier this year with my Nook in an Industrielle cover. Everything worked out fine.

Can you tell us why you want a hard over? It might help us find a good one for you.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
dcampbe
dcampbe began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Take a look at BookArmor from Omniscience Inc. Some are available through Amazone.Com, but you may have to go to Omniscience's website for fine the Nook model.
Price about $40
dcampbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
alexdc

Well, the box that my nook came in was made out of cardboard, not plastic, and seems rather limited in durability. And I wish I to re-emphasize (and I hope I don't sound rude) that I am looking for a case not a cover. The reason being that even the most well-built cover (such as the Bookarmor) is not self-supporting, i.e. it puts pressure on the unit that it is covering. The Industrell (or however you spell it) also has the same flaw, so despite the fact that it is incredibly strong, should the nook sustain a hard blow, the cover would simple cave and all the pressure would be put on the unit, which would be destroyed. I am looking for something self-supporting case (such as a box, toolbox, guitar case) to protect the unit; a case that will provide protection and not put pressure on the unit.

The reason I am looking for such a cover is that I carry my nook to school with me on a regular basis. This means having to put the device in a bag full of other (sometimes heavy) objects, and having to deal with whatever morons are walking around on campus. Right now I carry my nook in the original box, which provides some protection. However I am still nervous that if I set down my bag the wrong way and it falls over the unit might break; or if some idiot comes charging across campus and runs into my bag, the effect may be the same.

This would not be first something like this happened to an expensive electronic device of mine, which is why I am asking.

Last edited by alexdc; 08-30-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdc View Post
Well, the box that my nook came in was made out of cardboard, not plastic, and seems rather limited in durability.
Ahh, they must be using different packaging now. My nook (an original 3G model, ordered online) came in a hard clear plastic case with an inner plastic piece that slid in the bottom and secured the Nook inside. It was really quite nice compared to most modern packaging which is another reason I kept it. Perhaps you can find another early adopter willing to give theirs up (not mine, sorry ).

Edit: this is what mine looks like:

Last edited by Rayven01; 08-30-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
alexdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
Ahh, they must be using different packaging now. My nook (an original 3G model, ordered online) came in a hard clear plastic case with an inner plastic piece that slid in the bottom and secured the Nook inside. It was really quite nice compared to most modern packaging which is another reason I kept it. Perhaps you can find another early adopter willing to give theirs up (not mine, sorry ).

Edit: this is what mine looks like:

Beautiful, that's exactly what I'm looking for!

Maybe it was because I bought the wireless-only model, maybe because it was because I bought the device in store, maybe they just don't make that case anymore, but mine came in a box that looked just like yours, only in was cardboard line with some styrofoam (better than nothing, but...).

Does anyone know where I can get one of these?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
alexdc

On second thought, I saw a video of getting the nook out of that box, and it might be a bit difficult for day-to-day use. However, do you think it would be practical to line the inside of that case with foam and just set the nook inside, rather than attaching/un-attaching the thing every time I wanted to use it without the case?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
Pete
Pete is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I looked around, I didnt see anything for the nook. You might be able to adapt a small netbook or dvd player case.

If you're looking to do it yourself, I would just reinforce the box you've been using with homemade paper micarta. Its basically just soaking or brushing a slow setting epoxy onto paper or thin cardboard, then applying the strips to what you want to reinforce (I'd also soak some into the original nook box). Its sort of a 21 century paper mache. I've used it to make repairs on stuff that needs durability and its very strong and tough, more like fiberglass or strong wood then plastic. I'd use glaze coat or Devcon 30 min as a second choice. You might want to do a test run on a different box to figure out how to deal with problems you'll have, like the box sagging in areas before dry, excess epoxy, ect.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Somewhere on this forum there is a thread about using a hard back book to make a case. You use an exacto knife and cut out the shape of the Nook from the pages of the book.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 AM   #12
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdc View Post
Well, the box that my nook came in was made out of cardboard, not plastic, and seems rather limited in durability. And I wish I to re-emphasize (and I hope I don't sound rude) that I am looking for a case not a cover. The reason being that even the most well-built cover (such as the Bookarmor) is not self-supporting, i.e. it puts pressure on the unit that it is covering. The Industrell (or however you spell it) also has the same flaw, so despite the fact that it is incredibly strong, should the nook sustain a hard blow, the cover would simple cave and all the pressure would be put on the unit, which would be destroyed. I am looking for something self-supporting case (such as a box, toolbox, guitar case) to protect the unit; a case that will provide protection and not put pressure on the unit.

The reason I am looking for such a cover is that I carry my nook to school with me on a regular basis. This means having to put the device in a bag full of other (sometimes heavy) objects, and having to deal with whatever morons are walking around on campus. Right now I carry my nook in the original box, which provides some protection. However I am still nervous that if I set down my bag the wrong way and it falls over the unit might break; or if some idiot comes charging across campus and runs into my bag, the effect may be the same.

This would not be first something like this happened to an expensive electronic device of mine, which is why I am asking.
I've been using my wife's hand-me-down m-edge case (she bought not realizing it would be a tight fit for her Kindle 2). Between the fact that the nook's screen is a bit recessed, and the padding on the m-edge case, I'm sure it offers enough protection. I have mine tossed in my book bag with my school books, no problems. I know what you are talking about - but with a decent padded case, it should be fine. You know, just like a laptop or a phone screen is OK in a bag.

You might like this though:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/51212001...rder=&includes

I got one of these from this etsy seller (different design). It feels like a hardcover book cover. Since it has a binding of sorts and it is stiff, it tends to put any pressure on the binding / cover, rather than sinking in the middle. I still use mine sometimes (attaches with Velcro).

This should be EXACTLY you are looking for, though. A wooden, stiff case for the nook.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52051129...h-ebony-finish

He's got a few of them.

I considered one of these myself, being in the same sort of situation as you.

The stuff at etsy is basically small sellers making handmade stuff. It's a pretty cool site.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-31-2010 at 02:41 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #13
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
This copany makes quite good cases, I'm using one to transport my DSLR equipment while traveling.
s3cases
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote