Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Hemant
Hemant began at the beginning.

Device: none
Failed to fetch news

I installed 0.7.15 version in windows xp. when i tried to fetch news i am getting following error.

URLError(error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'),)

I tried 3-4 news sources and get same error each time.

Can some one help me in this?

Thanks
Hemant
Hemant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you have network problems, most probably incorrect proxy settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
Hemant

Thanks Kovid for quick reply.

I checked IE tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings. There is no proxy configured there. I am able to browse net.

What to do?

Thanks
Hemant
Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant View Post
Thanks Kovid for quick reply.

I checked IE tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings. There is no proxy configured there. I am able to browse net.
I'm curious, what are you using to browse the net? I've seen Firefox work where IE fails.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Hemant

@dwanthny

I am using chrome.
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am using chrome.
Does IE surf the net fine?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:41 AM   #7
Hemant

I have done following two things:

1. In windows security center selected windows firewall and and choose off(not recommended) and after that tried to fetch news but got same error.

2. I took a RSS source and added in google reader to test it. I was able to see feed in google reader but when i added same RSS source to "add a custom news source" and try to fetch news from this custom source I got same error.

Any help pls?

Thanks
Hemant
Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
Hemant

@dwanthny

Yes, I am able to surf net from IE, Firefox and chrome.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
1. In windows security center selected windows firewall and and choose off(not recommended) and after that tried to fetch news but got same error.
Now that you tried it put your firewall back on.

I have heard of Antivirus or Antispam software mucking things up. Also if you use a third party firewall like Zone Alarm things might need to be opened for calibre to work. The possibility exists you need to add exceptions for calibre in whatever software is blocking calibre from running.

Have you ever run the fetch news successfully?
Old 08-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
Hemant

@dwanthny

I tried selecting firewall on and adding calibre in exception but failed.

I was never able to fetch news.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I tried selecting firewall on and adding calibre in exception but failed.

I was never able to fetch news.
There are some Internet Security products that run a firewall in parallel to the Windows Firewall (Avast! is one). Are you running one of those, and if so, have you added Calibre as an exception to both?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote