Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
eReaders Can Improve Literacy

In response to the thread "Are e-books trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?" I am starting a new thread.

I submit the following for discussion:

[soapbox mode on]
Given that:
1. e-mail is forcing communications into brief snipets full of abbreviations, incomplete sentences and generally bad grammar
2. Texting has made the #1 worse
3. Responding to messages is immediate limiting the amount of thought and editing going into the response.

I submit that:
1. The people hooked on all our high tech communications are losing their ability to read, write and generally communicate an idea that takes more than a sentence or two to explain
2. The new technonogies, be it texting or twitter, are only making the problem worse

But there is hope!

All the high tech devices that account for the above situation can be used as eReaders.

I believe that reading well written language (I am trying not to tell people what to read) will improve everyones communications skills. Hopefully, all the texters and tweets out there will begin to read on their devices and learn how to communicate.

As readers, the members of this site, all believe that reading is good, thats why we are here. If we want the new techies to read, publishers and authors must make good writing available on the devices the techies will want to use.

No, I do not believe that paper is dead (please do not discuss that in this thread), but I do believe that media presentation should be determined by the consumer not the publisher. Any publisher or author fighting digital delivery of writing will go the way of the record and newspaper industries.
[soapbox mode off]

I am just trying to start a discussion here.

Thanks for reading this,

Uncle Eric
estral is offline   Reply With Quote