Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Hope2read
Hope2read began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
E-Reader with Biggest Text Size?

Hello

I've only just registered, so I hope I get this right, and please forgive me if I don't!

I want to purchase an E-reader as I am fed up of lying in bed with a big magnifying glass in my hand reading my bedtime story I have Sleep Apnoea, and due to the full face mask I have to wear in bed I can't use my glasses. Therefore, I need one which will give me the largest text display.

I have seen the Sony E-reader, but the biggest display wasn't big enough (don't know what font it was) and the same day tried the BeBook, which again wasn't big enough, but I found it clearer to read that the Sony. I have looked up info on the Cybook, but there are no shops stocking it here where I can try this. I've also looked into the Kindle, which sounds like this might be the best, but don't think this will work here in the UK.

I only need the E-reader for reading in bed and, since looking into this, it would be great to take on holiday.

Please can anyone advise me, as they are quite expensive and I can't afford to make a mistake?

Many thanks
Hope2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope2read View Post
I have Sleep Apnoea, and due to the full face mask I have to wear in bed I can't use my glasses. Therefore, I need one which will give me the largest text display.
Ok, I'm going to take a different approach. Have you tried a nasal pillow mask? I use the Mirage Swift II. It is very small and light and I would be able to wear glasses without a problem if I needed to.

I think the Sony 700, the CyBook and the Kindle have the largest out of the box font sizes. I also think the CyBook lets you put your own fonts on the device, and you may be able to increase the font.

BOb

pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Hope2read

Thanks for such a quick reply Bob (haven't sussed out quotes yet so hope this is the correct way to reply). Will have a look at the Sony 700, but not sure if this is in the UK yet either.
Regarding the masks - well that's a sore subject! Due to me being a mouth breather I have to have the full face masks, and am on my 5th one at the moment and still having problems...........
Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Due to me being a mouth breather I have to have the full face masks, and am on my 5th one at the moment and still having problems...........
Hmm... have you tried a chin strap instead?

BOb
Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Hope2read

No. I've read about them, but I can't physically breathe through my nose properly and would end up panicking for breath. Never straightforward is it?
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No. I've read about them, but I can't physically breathe through my nose properly and would end up panicking for breath. Never straightforward is it?
Nope bummer. Perhaps you could read without your mask on. And when you get sleepy, put it on and go to sleep. That's how I do it.

BOb
Old 04-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Hope2read

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nope bummer. Perhaps you could read without your mask on. And when you get sleepy, put it on and go to sleep. That's how I do it.

BOb
Have tried that, but have fallen asleep too many times without the mask on, and suffered the next day Awkward creature, aren't I
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just FYI, with my Sony and using the PRS Customizer, I was able to change my default font to Ariel. And I read in landscape, which makes the font even bigger.

If possible, I try to get things in an open format that I can mess with. I find that Ariel font, 2o-22 pt, with 1.25 line spacing works really well. Without the serifs and with the slightly wider space between lines, the letters just seem to pop right out at me. I understand it is because more of the background shows through and allows for more contrast with the letters.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Hope2read

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Just FYI, with my Sony and using the PRS Customizer, I was able to change my default font to Ariel. And I read in landscape, which makes the font even bigger.

If possible, I try to get things in an open format that I can mess with. I find that Ariel font, 2o-22 pt, with 1.25 line spacing works really well. Without the serifs and with the slightly wider space between lines, the letters just seem to pop right out at me. I understand it is because more of the background shows through and allows for more contrast with the letters.
Oh, thank you for that. When I spoke to Sony (at the Gadget Show in Birmingham on Friday) they didn't mention this could be done. I'm assuming you mean the Sony 505 and not the 700?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you can afford it, the iRex iLiad's 8" screen allows larger fonts. If not, I think the Cybook may be your best bet with a 6" screen.

See Does the new CyBook support ultra-large fonts (>72 points)? (note that I include a 30 pt screenshot from the iLiad in post #13).

For the Kindle's fonts sizes, see Font Sizes.

For the PRS-700's font sizes, see text sizes (although these can vary from document to document).

For BeBook (Hanlin) font sizes, see BeBook font sizes and types.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Hope2read

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you can afford it, the iRex iLiad's 8" screen allows larger fonts. If not, I think the Cybook may be your best bet with a 6" screen.

See Does the new CyBook support ultra-large fonts (>72 points)? (note that I include a 30 pt screenshot from the iLiad in post #13).

For the Kindle's fonts sizes, see Font Sizes.

For the PRS-700's font sizes, see text sizes (although these can vary from document to document).

For BeBook (Hanlin) font sizes, see BeBook font sizes and types.
Oh, thank you for that! Was just on my way to bed with my big magnifying glass, but I can see there is hope for me now!

The BeBook doesn't seem good, but the Cybook seems like it might be my best option. I can read the text on that, plus the Iliad, Kindle + PRS 700, but I think the Cybook is the only one easily available in the UK at the moment. However, I will research the others......plus the price of the Iliad, which I think we can get here.........

Thanks for your time wallcraft - much appreciated!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #12
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Oh, thank you for that. When I spoke to Sony (at the Gadget Show in Birmingham on Friday) they didn't mention this could be done. I'm assuming you mean the Sony 505 and not the 700?
I think he is referring to the Sony 505. This makes the font large enough i guess for you to read.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Right, I was speaking of the 505.

Wallcraft, you are just full of handy advice and pics this week. THANKS!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you thought of the contact lenses that can be worn when you sleep?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think the Cybook's probably the simplest option and is a decent book reader - possibly not quite as good a "feel" as the Sony, but better font handling capabilities. It supports the Mobi format, rather than the Sony's ePub/LRF/LRX, so there's probably more titles available for it than the Sony.

Here in the UK, WHSmith might be the easiest option - I don't know if they stock them in the stores, but they have it on-line.

Note that with the Sony, the font size is variable Small/Med/Large but the base font size is set on a per book basis, so what you saw need not be the final answer - if it's unDRMmed you could tweak it yourself - but a Cybook would be simpler & quicker.

See at time 3:13 on the video here

Last edited by gwynevans; 04-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote