Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah that was kind of my sense on it. The improvements are nice, but fairly minor. And losing the SD card slot and the replaceable battery kind of sucks for many people.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Pluses for the K2: faster page turns, user friendly dictionary, easy navigation in Amazon periodicals and blogs, and better ergonomics.

Minuses for the K2: No SD card, I can't carry my entire library but I can live with that. Battery life seems worse than for the K1, all I can think of is that having a 90% full memory makes indexing a lot longer.

Minuses for both: No stinking folders for organization!!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
People who shouldn't upgrade:

1. K1 owners who like to use their SD cards to organize their books.

2. K1 owners who are adapted to reading on their K1 on font size 1 or 2 and need the darker contrast.

3. K1 owners who are adapted to using the Next Page buttons and aren't bothered about accidental page turns anymore.

4. K1 owners who ideologically can't accept the idea of a non-user-replaceable battery.

People who should upgrade:

1. K1 owners who want text-to-speech and don't mind a robotic voice.

2. K1 owners who want improved image quality for pictures and illustrations.

3. K1 owners who are annoyed they keep hitting the next page buttons accidentally.

4. K1 owners who would prefer a much slimmer form factor.

5. K1 owners who would prefer wireless access but can't get wireless access where they live on the K1 but could get it on the K2.

6. K1 owners who have a few hundred bucks to spend and want the latest and greatest.

Overall, there are not many compelling reasons to upgrade from K1 to K2. K2 is more about attracting new customers who didn't like the K1.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That's a very good list sirbruce.

I definitely fall in the first as I have no gripes with the K1 other than the occasional accidental page turn.

And the non-replaceable battery does bother me since Amazon charges $59 to replace. I plan on using my Kindle for a long time as I doubt I'll upgrade until there's something out for $200 or less that's basically a touch screen tablet with color e-ink, a great web browser and e-mail system, does A4 pdfs well etc. etc. etc. And that's a long ways off. Probably years. But for now I just want something to read novels and the K1 does that perfectly IMO.

So barring a break I like that I can just pay $20 or less and get a new battery for the K1 every year or 2 when it starts not holding a charge.

Others like to have the latest and greatest and will upgrade every couple years anyway so the battery is not a concern for them as they'll want something new by the time the K2 battery doesn't old a charge anyway.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #20
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
People who should upgrade:

1. K1 owners who want text-to-speech and don't mind a robotic voice.

2. K1 owners who want improved image quality for pictures and illustrations.

3. K1 owners who are annoyed they keep hitting the next page buttons accidentally.

4. K1 owners who would prefer a much slimmer form factor.

5. K1 owners who would prefer wireless access but can't get wireless access where they live on the K1 but could get it on the K2.

6. K1 owners who have a few hundred bucks to spend and want the latest and greatest.

Overall, there are not many compelling reasons to upgrade from K1 to K2. K2 is more about attracting new customers who didn't like the K1.
7. Sony E-book owners.

Let the flame-war begin!
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #21
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Well, I'm also a physician, so that means I put my pants on by telekinesis.

Oops. I wasn't supposed to say that. There will be a nice gentleman coming around with a flashy thing to help you forget that.
You're a dolphin. Dolphins don't wear pants. Unless of course, the squirrel finally spoke up.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 AM   #22
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
The Dictionary is on almost 100% of the time, that is completely unnecessary and has to use a bit of battery power.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #23
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Settle down!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #24
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
You're a dolphin. Dolphins don't wear pants. Unless of course, the squirrel finally spoke up.
You know, everyone assumes I'm the dolphin. I wonder why?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
You know, everyone assumes I'm the dolphin. I wonder why?
I don't know. If I saw a scorpion riding a fox I would assume you were the scorpion.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #26
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
The Dictionary is on almost 100% of the time, that is completely unnecessary and has to use a bit of battery power.
I would assume that it uses a bit, but I feel that it is probably not that much, since the new screen controller only refreshes a part of the screen. I find that the way they do the dictionary quickly fades to background and is only noticeable when I'm actually looking up a word.