Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
khassounah
khassounah began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Unhappy seg fault and usb bus error for prs500 on OpenSuSE 11

Hello all,

I am facing multiple issues trying to use my prs500 with calibre. I researched the issues here and elsewhere and the none of the solutions seem to work:

1. prs500 seg faults with the message:
/usr/bin/prs500: line 7: 3698 Segmentation fault $loader "$@"

The suggested solution was to insure that none of the files in /opt/calibre exist in /usr/bin. All the files in /usr/bin are symbolic links to /opt/calibre so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
The command still seems to execute even with the seg fault at the end, so I am assuming that this problem is not as critical as the next one.

2. Trying to communicate the e-reader (with a command like "prs500 ls /") give the following error:
calibre.devices.libusb.Error: Could not read 32 bytes on the control bus.

The suggested solution was to disconnect and reconnect the device, or reboot it. I have done all of that in addition to rebooting my laptop and I still have the same problem.

3. Calibre can't detect my device, but I'm assuming that it is because of the default permissions to access the usb device, so I will try that fix before asking for help, but mentioning it in case someone has any additional hints or ideas.

Thank you all in advance. Calibre came a long way since I last used libprs500.... I hope I can get to use it soon.

Khaled
khassounah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by khassounah View Post
2. Trying to communicate the e-reader (with a command like "prs500 ls /") give the following error:
calibre.devices.libusb.Error: Could not read 32 bytes on the control bus.

Khaled
That error indicates a problem talking to the device. Hard resetting the device/laptop and trying other USB cables/ports is really the only thing you can do. One other thing that comes to mind is to make sure that your device password is not set.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
khassounah

Thanks for the quick reply. I hard-reset the device, rebooted my laptop and I don't have a password on the device and I still get the error :-\

Do you know if this is a libprs error or if it's coming from a lower layer?

K
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
khassounah

in case someone stumbles upon this thread, problem #3 was solved by following kovidgoyal's suggestion from another thread and replacing the group in /etc/udev/rules.d/95-calibre.rules with a group that my user is a member of.

Thanks Kovidgoyal!

Khaled
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not a libprs error. It indicates what is most liely a hardware problem or a problem with the USB stack on either your computer or the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
prs500 segmentation fault