Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
By the way, in Framemaker there is an option to compress the tags. Be sure this is not checked or some programs will have problems reading your files. As I recall tags were compressed by default.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You need to load the Adobe Reader from the site I referenced and see if ActiveSync will convert your files. It is Reader version 2 by the way.
No, my point earlier was that Reader 2.0 and my version of Win CE are not compatible. At least, that was the result when I tried, some weeks back.

However, it's worth passing on the information to other writers that if they have PDF files that need tagging and they do have the later version of Reader, they can use that as a converter, then transfer the files back if they want to upload them to their website.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By the way, in Framemaker there is an option to compress the tags. Be sure this is not checked or some programs will have problems reading your files. As I recall tags were compressed by default.
I don't recall seeing that option. But my version of Framemaker is at least five years old, and probably more.

What seemed to make or break the Framemaker tagging was making sure that any styles I used in the doc were in the "include" column, somewhere in that maze of options.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #19
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I seem to be answering in reverse order here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
It can happen that the files look much better in these devices with Acrobat 2, then what you are getting with version 1.
That may be so. But I think there's often an assumption that "most people" are using up to date hardware and software, when in fact I'll bet there are a lot of people who aren't. Especially folks who aren't really into all this, and may just be taking a flyer with their old gear to see if they can read a book on their PDA.

Quote:
If you want an example, what I get normally is something very similar to what you can see in Adobes site (left image):
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforppc.html
That's pretty much what I see in Reader 1.0. (With properly tagged files, that is.)

Quote:
If you want I can test in my 2 pocketpcs, 2003 and windows mobile 5, with one of your files and try to get back to you.
That might be a useful experiment. Do you want to PM me your email address? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Are you creating large-size (A4 or letter) documents and expecting small-screen (PDAs or eBook readers) devices to reformat the text?

Why don't you do it the other way? Create a small-size PDF and let the computer PDF reader reformat it if needed/desired.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 01:12 PM   #21
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Are you creating large-size (A4 or letter) documents and expecting small-screen (PDAs or eBook readers) devices to reformat the text?

Why don't you do it the other way? Create a small-size PDF and let the computer PDF reader reformat it if needed/desired.
If the file is tagged to allow the reader to reformat the text, it doesn't matter what size page it's starting from. If you go to my downloads page and download a copy of Neptune Crossing in what I call PDF2 (okay, you can just click the link here), you'll get a book that displays full-size on your computer. Put it on your PDA, and it'll reflow down to your desired screen size, at your desired font size. (Though vertical blank space may get squished.)

If you download the one I call PDF1, you'll get a file that looks nicer on the full-sized computer, and will resize nicely on the computer--but if you copy it to a PDA, it won't reflow. That is, unless you have a newer PDA system than mine, which I understand can do the necessary tagging. (It would be great if someone could test that for me and report back.)

Actually, I have no idea what the effect of all this is on other kinds of ebook readers, such as the e-ink devices. I'd be grateful if someone could test those files on other PDF-reading devices and let me know what they find.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
No, my point earlier was that Reader 2.0 and my version of Win CE are not compatible. At least, that was the result when I tried, some weeks back.

However, it's worth passing on the information to other writers that if they have PDF files that need tagging and they do have the later version of Reader, they can use that as a converter, then transfer the files back if they want to upload them to their website.
The whole point was that the version two software was ported to devices that are not identified as compatible with the standard ported version. I have it running on a Jornada 720 which is certainly not standard. You need to try this for yourself, not just dismiss it because the Adobe site said so.

Dale
Old 09-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I did try it. I'm reporting what the installation effort told me.

I suppose I could try it again, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I did try it. I'm reporting what the installation effort told me.

I suppose I could try it again, but I'm not optimistic.
You tried this one? http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0090.asp

There is also a list here: http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/

Dale
Old 09-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Ah--I didn't understand that people had hacked (tweaked?) Reader for installation on older systems. I have downloaded their version. But when I unpacked the .CAB file, I found nothing to click on--no exe or com file. So I don't know where to go from here.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
If it's a CAB file, you copy it into a folder inside your pocketpc and double click on it with your stylus.
If all goes well, the file just auto-installs.

I have sent you a PM early in the day (my early of course).
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #27
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
If it's a CAB file, you copy it into a folder inside your pocketpc and double click on it with your stylus.

I have sent you a PM early in the day (my early of course).
Ahhh...

Got your PM and have emailed you two PDF files. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #28
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Just sent you by email the results.

Best,
Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #29
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
No go. "File cannot be installed on a device of this type."
Old 09-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
DDHarriman
Guru

I'm sorry, then I can not help with that, maybe DaleDe can elaborate?