Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Calibre Cloud Pro and Metadata.db Sync Dropbox

Just yesterday I bought Calibre Cloud Pro (although I don't think the free version is much different. I'm just not a fan of ads) and I really love it. It replaces the need to run Calibre OPDS.

It serves up a gorgeous looking version of your calibre catalog by reading the metadata.db that you have on a cloud based service like Dropbox or GDrive.

There are two existing problems. First, for the MOBI versions, there is an open in problem. It automatically defaults to MoonReader+ which I don't like. I've emailed the developer about that.

Second, the metadata.db does not sync with dropbox until I've quit dropbox and restarted it. I've read some threads about running scripts (which is kind of beyond me unless someone can help me out with an Automator script which I suppose is possible - sense a change in the calibre library folder and it restarts Calibre) but I wondered if there was a simpler solution.

Any ideas?
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Just yesterday I bought Calibre Cloud Pro (although I don't think the free version is much different. I'm just not a fan of ads) and I really love it. It replaces the need to run Calibre OPDS.

It serves up a gorgeous looking version of your calibre catalog by reading the metadata.db that you have on a cloud based service like Dropbox or GDrive.

There are two existing problems. First, for the MOBI versions, there is an open in problem. It automatically defaults to MoonReader+ which I don't like. I've emailed the developer about that.

Second, the metadata.db does not sync with dropbox until I've quit dropbox and restarted it. I've read some threads about running scripts (which is kind of beyond me unless someone can help me out with an Automator script which I suppose is possible - sense a change in the calibre library folder and it restarts Calibre) but I wondered if there was a simpler solution.

Any ideas?
Calibre Cloud Pro ??????????????

That is not a part of this Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And if it's this here: https://sensortower.com/android/us/i...alibrecloudpro

They say syncing with Dropbox or Google Drive so I have a feeling they've never actually used it themselves.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

@theducks - it is a companion to Calibre much like the other Android Calibre programs are (or as much as the calibre opds is).

@eschwartz - I'm not sure where you get that.

I'm currently using it. It's a wonderful program with a few bugs. I came here to mobilereads, a forum that I've belonged to since 2006, to ask a question about optimizing my use of it.

If this is not the correct place for the post, then the mods are free to replace it. However, I merely asking if there is an easier way to force sync the metadata.db file every time I add a book other than restarting Calibre.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
da_jane
I will move this to Related Tools
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
@eschwartz - Calibre Cloud is in the Play store.

Quote:
I tried it a couple of months back and it looked good but it shows the entire library. With no way of hiding my "working" virtual library I decided I much prefer using Calibre Companion.

Quote:
For anyone dropping by this can't be said enough, unless Google fixed it, Gdrive is not compatible with calibre.

Quote:
Not a calibre question. If it defaults to Moon+Reader it is because you told it previously or it is the only App advertising that it handles Mobi books. If you are expecting the Amazon Kindle App to be an option think again. Amazon does not advertise itself as a reader. Reading the FAQ from Calibre Companion app might help you understand the problem.

Quote:
I don't see how an Android app can cause the dropbox on your computer to quit syncing to the cloud. My guess is clicking refresh or reload (an option under the three dots menu) in the Calibre Cloud app will grab a fresh version of the metadata.db file from the cloud.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-28-2014 at 08:40 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@eschwartz - I'm not sure where you get that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
For anyone dropping by this can't be said enough, unless Google fixed it, Gdrive is not compatible with calibre.
Because of this. They seem to be recommending that you destroy your calibre library.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Because of this. They seem to be recommending that you destroy your calibre library.
I just sent the developer an email explaining that fact and linking to the sticky post. In theory if you placed your library on your gdrive and never touched it again you would be ok. I'm guessing his test library is never updated.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
@eschwartz - Calibre Cloud is in the Play store.
IntrepidLogic? Appears to be the same one.

Can't check now, though, as Google Play is blocked here (school).
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
da_jane
Evangelist

Quote:
Not a calibre question. If it defaults to Moon+Reader it is because you told it previously or it is the only App advertising that it handles Mobi books. If you are expecting the Amazon Kindle App to be an option think again. Amazon does not advertise itself as a reader.

I don't see how an Android app can cause the dropbox on your computer to quit syncing to the cloud. My guess is clicking refresh or reload (an option under the three dots menu) in the Calibre Cloud app will grab a fresh version of the metadata.db file from the cloud.
Actually it is a Calibre issue. Dropbox doesn't sync the metadata.db file because its locked while Calibre is open. So you have to quit and restart so that Calibre releases the metadata.db file and then dropbox syncs it.

As for the Moon+ Reader default, no, actually it opens to Moon Reader because it is the only App I have installed that opens Mobis. I had this confirmed with the developer. Amazon might not advertise itself as a reader, but I was able to "open in" Kindle App from my iPhone. Further, it does read Mobis that you place in the Kindle books folder on the Android device.

I don't remember the MobileRead forums being so hostile. I'm sorry I didn't google GDrive as it didn't have any relevance to my questions but apparently the failure to do so appears to be some kind of forum crime.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Actually it is a Calibre issue. Dropbox doesn't sync the metadata.db file because its locked while Calibre is open. So you have to quit and restart so that Calibre releases the metadata.db file and then dropbox syncs it.
This must be new since the new database backend came out. In your post you said you had to quit Dropbox not calibre. I can only speculate with the information provided.

Quote:
As for the Moon+ Reader default, no, actually it opens to Moon Reader because it is the only App I have installed that opens Mobis. I had this confirmed with the developer. Amazon might not advertise itself as a reader, but I was able to "open in" Kindle App from my iPhone. Further, it does read Mobis that you place in the Kindle books folder on the Android device.
Exactly what the link I pointed you to said.

Quote:
I don't remember the MobileRead forums being so hostile. I'm sorry I didn't google GDrive as it didn't have any relevance to my questions but apparently the failure to do so appears to be some kind of forum crime.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@da_jane - if you switch to another library (e.g an empty one) does dropbox synch the metadata.db file of your main library.

I used SkyDrive for a short while and saw the same issue, btw that was many months before the new d/b backend was implemented. This was acceptable to me as I am not sure what 'state' an open for read/write SQLite file is likely to be in at any given moment in time.

I only used Skydrive to get a feel for these cloud synch services, before I went back to my long standing and trusted commercial FTP supplier.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually the issue is not related to the file locking, rather to the directory name a used to store the books. Gdrive seems to have a real issue with the (Id number) at the end of the directory name.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Actually the issue is not related to the file locking, rather to the directory name a used to store the books. Gdrive seems to have a real issue with the (Id number) at the end of the directory name.
But the OP is NOT using Google Drive the OP is using Dropbox - its the first post and the OP has repeated it since.

Apropos this thread Google Drive is a red herring.

If y'all want to beat someone up re Calibre Cloud's "support" of Google Drive, go beat up Intrepid Logic. Don't beat up someone who just shelled out their hard earned for the app, especially one who has taken the trouble to report another issue (the Moonraker one) to the developer.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Where on earth was I beating ANYONE up! I was just clarifying what the issue is with GDrive!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote