Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Changing font in mobi ebook

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I've had Calibre for a long time, but I've only used it superficially, never getting into the guts of the program. Due to the reduced space on the PW, I need to start learning more about it, but I'm overwhelmed at the moment. Anyway, I have this ebook and the font is like looking at typewriter font. For me, it's too irritating to be readable. I have tried changing the font family and converting, but it doesn't change. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or will Calibre be unable to change the font in this book? Thanks!
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I'm not sure what you've tried already, but in the Look & Feel section of the conversion options, under Filter Style Information, check "Fonts".

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-05-2013 at 11:49 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! I will try that.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mobi does not support embedded fonts. Whatever font you see is set by the program used to read. Mobi itself has no control over this. Jimmy's suggestion won't work at all. Are you sure you are not saying the Cacellia fonts looks like a typewriter font? That is the default font on a Kindle. When you go to the AA menu on the PW, you will see that in the choice of fonts.

Go to the thread on fonts for the Kindle and you will learn about other fonts and how to install them on your PW. Won't work on a K3.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202238
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the font-family is set to "monospace", which is my guess, it will cause what JLeighs is seeing. I tried this with a mobi file on my PW and I couldn't change the font on the device.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Test Monospace Font.mobi (176.0 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-06-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Add attachment
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
If the font-family is set to "monospace", which is my guess, it will cause what JLeighs is seeing. I tried this with a mobi file on my PW and I couldn't change the font on the device.
But do you have USE_ALT_FONTS installed?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Yes, but it makes no difference. The same thing happens on my Kindle keyboard as well.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, but it makes no difference. The same thing happens on my Kindle keyboard as well.
KK doesn't support USE_ALT_FONTS.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

I'm aware of that. I'm not sure what your point is about USE_ALT_FONTS.

Why don't we wait until the OP posts again. The original post didn't contain a wealth of information, and my solution was based on a guess as to the cause of the problem- monospaced fonts tend to look like typewriter text.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'm aware of that. I'm not sure what your point is about USE_ALT_FONTS.

Why don't we wait until the OP posts again. The original post didn't contain a wealth of information, and my solution was based on a guess as to the cause of the problem- monospaced fonts tend to look like typewriter text.
Good idea.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
JLeighs
Addict

The typwriter font is showing in the book in Calibre and on my Kindle. I do not have extra fonts installed on my PW, and I use Palatino.

Jimmy-Jim, I'm not sure if your suggestion worked or not lol. It did change the way the font looks, but it doesn't look like the font I tried to change it to. Does that make sense? I'm going to keep playing around with it.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
JLeighs
Addict

Quote:
This is exactly what it looks like now. It looked worse before I tried your suggestion --just like a typewritten page.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Jimmy-Jim, I'm not sure if your suggestion worked or not lol. It did change the way the font looks, but it doesn't look like the font I tried to change it to. Does that make sense? I'm going to keep playing around with it.
When converting, just check "fonts" in the filter style information and don't add any other CSS for font-family.

You shouldn't need to change the ebook to use any particular font. How are you trying to change the font? What other options are you using in Calibre?

What happens when you try to change the font on your paperwhite? (Aa menu option)

Is the original format mobi? Are you converting it to mobi?

What book is it? I'm sure it's probably not one you can share but it's difficult not being able to see it.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
JLeighs
Addict

Quote:
When converting, just check "fonts" in the filter style information and don't add any other CSS for font-family.

You shouldn't need to change the ebook to use any particular font. How are you trying to change the font? What other options are you using in Calibre?
All I've done at this point is check the fonts box and change the font family. I've also skipped changing the font family and checked the fonts box.

Quote:
What happens when you try to change the font on your paperwhite? (Aa menu option)
Nothing. The font looks like it's changing but it doesn't really change --maybe the size changes a bit.

Quote:
Is the original format mobi? Are you converting it to mobi?
The original format is mobi and I am converting it to mobi.

Quote:
What book is it? I'm sure it's probably not one you can share but it's difficult not being able to see it.
This one. Maybe you can download the free sample to see what I'm talking about.

I appreciate all of your help!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Well, the free sample I downloaded was AZW3 (KF8) and it's a mess as far as the html/css is concerned. Lots of this:
Code:
<p class="JonnaMemoir" style="margin-bottom:10.0pt;text-align:justify;text-indent:
.3in;line-height:115%"><span style="font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;">“You went
back to the office?” I was completely confused. If ever there were a doctor’s
note to get out of work, “brain tumor” had to be at the top of the list.</span></p><o:p></o:p>
Every paragraph...

I did a AZW3 to Mobi conversion, filtering "fonts" and it seemed to do the trick. Not sure what's happening on your end. Maybe the full book is different.

Edit:
I ran in to the same problem here with a KF8 (azw3) book:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50#post2398650

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-07-2013 at 11:23 PM.