Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #76
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking back over my purchases, I think that my "buy" point for ebooks has gone down over the years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #77
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Not really, IF the paperback is out for cheaper. If it's a buck or so, fine, I am e-book only now. I have paid up to $16.99 for an e-book, the audio/video enhanced version of 11/22/63 on release day. Worth every penny. I have paid $12.99 & $14.99 for several new releases and had no regrets. So, if it's a new book, and I want it badly, I will pay almost anything. If it's older, I will wait for a sale. Simple, to me.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #78
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
No, I will not pay more for an ebook. And $12.99 is my limit on an ebook - more than that, and I put a request in at the library.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #79
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
I won't pay more for an ebook. The bottom line for me is that the ebook is worth less. Disregarding publishers' costs, or "value pricing," etc, the ebook delivers less overall value.

I'm not talking about nebulous notions of "feel" or "smell," etc. I like paper books well enough, and probably still read more dead tree than I do electrons, but the "romantic" aspects aren't very important, and for some situations the ebook is the better experience.

So it's not to say that the ebook delivers no value, or that in some respects it doesn't deliver superior value, overall it's still less. Illustrations are less useful, including covers. Ebooks are more linear, less random access -- it's like going back to scrolls after a lifetime of codices.

But most importantly, it has no residual value when I'm done with it. I can't lend it or sell it or give it away. It can't be passed around between all my friends (yeah, even if it comes back a ragged shade of its former self...) I am a re-reader, so most of the time I don't get rid of books permanently, but ebooks remove the choice.

This is true even if it is non-DRMed in the first place. Selling is out of the question, and giving or lending, although possible, is a bit morally questionable. (I'd make exception for Baen books, since they seem to be in favor of such lending.) Even disregarding any of that though, it's a lot less convenient.

So for any given book, the ebook price will have to be less than the paperback or I won't buy it.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #80
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I don't really look at the price for the paperback/hardback. I pay what I think it's worth. Sometimes only $1, sometimes over $14.99. Depends on the author and how badly I want that particular book. I have most the Dresden books (all except one) and have paid about $12.42 per book. I would like to keep it at $9.99 or under but sometimes I just can't wait any longer
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #81
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg View Post
I won't pay more for an ebook. The bottom line for me is that the ebook is worth less. Disregarding publishers' costs, or "value pricing," etc, the ebook delivers less overall value.
Ditto that. I will never pay more for an ebook than for a paper book. I place more value on owning an actual paper book than I do a text file, no matter what argument some might raise or comparisons they might draw. High-priced ebooks trigger the "I am being ripped-off" response in me, logical or not.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #82
LuceBianchi
LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuceBianchi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1st Edition
That depends. Is the paperback secondhand? :P

If the paperback is not a used copy, then no. Never. If the paperback is a used copy, I will carefully consider whether the price or the copy being searchable and never wearing out is more important to me.
LuceBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #83
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Used paperbacks for me have been awesome. I've bought some for $2 over 15 years ago that are good.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #84
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Of course for some of us it's a choice between buying the ebook, not reading it, or hoping that the library eventually stocks an ebook copy.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #85
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Sure - I already DO pay more for ebooks. Because I can get a lot of regular books at thrift shops and discount book stores cheaper. Or read at the library for free. But I like the ebooks because of convenience, because they are digital (and lasting almost "forever"), and reading something "clean" that is not already used, yellowed, and falling apart.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #86
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Hah! I paid more for ebook than new hardback!

Not bragging, mind you, but Amazon charged $17 and change for the new Pete Townshend hardback ("Who I Am"), and Google Books and B&N charged $18.99 for the ebook.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 AM   #87
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Yes. The convenience is worth it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #88
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I have to say depends on the book, if it is something I am desperate to read, then I would pay anything. Say a new Game of Thrones book. But for a book that was going into my HUGE slush pile of waiting to read, then I would wait for the price to drop. I can only read with an ereader, paper is no good with my vision. I have brought more than 300 books that I still have not read, and have about 50 in my wish list that I am willing to wait on a price drop to purchase. Off the top of my head there would be less than 10 books I am waiting on to be published that are in the now now and right now at any price list.
But the reality is it is no different than if it was paper, those must have now books are the ones I would snap up day of release as a hard cover.
As I see it I am just paying day of release price in a formate that works for me.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #89
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Having just finished the last Dresden files book and eagerly awaiting the release of Cold Days on amazon, i was just about to pre-order the ebook when i noticed it costs more than the paperback.

I know they can charge what the want but that just smacks of greed.
There is no way i am going to order it now, no matter how much i want to read it.

No way can they justify that. no shipping or materials.

one really pissed of customer......
Something I have not read mentioned here is what my experience with Kindle book pre-orders. The actual price at the release date is almost always lower than the pre-order price. In fact I cannot recall a time when I did not get charged less for my pre-orders though I rarely do pre-orders of an ebook because, well, ummmm, why? Not like they will run out. I just put it in my watch list and a tickler in my contact/to-do list if it is really important to me. Otherwise I just wait to remember about remembering.

Has Amazon changed this in the last year or so? It has been at least that long since I pre-ordered any book.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #90
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I got over comparing the price of ebooks to any kind of print equivalent a long time ago. It's worth what it's worth to me; plain and simple. The price of an existing (or non-existent, pre-order) paperback book doesn't even factor in my decision (if I have no intention of actually purchasing the paperback, that is) any more.
This is my feeling as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote