Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Does anyone else have concerns about DRM in the future?

So, while cleaning in my office the other day I was admiring the few hundred paper books that I still own, down from about a thousand before a life change forced me to sell a great portion of them.

I've managed to get quite a few hundred of the classic titles from sources like Project Gutenberg and bought a lot more from sources like Amazon Kindle.

I know how much I enjoy re-reading paper books once in a great while and I happen to wonder, what's going to become of my DRMd titles in the (not too) distant future should Amazon go belly up and the devices I read the DRM material fail, how will I get these titles back? Are we to assume that ebooks are another disposable media and unlike paper books they just "go away" once the DRM validation is no longer there? I mean Amazon, and B&N aren't going to be there forever.

I've been reading on a Kindle, and now an Amazon tablet for like 5 years now, and before you know it a decade or more will pass. Do these "old" ebooks just go the way of the dodo?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What many people who are concerned with this do is remove the DRM (Apprentice Alf) and keep a DRM-free copy backup of all their titles. Another solution would be to buy only DRM free titles (titles at Amazon and others don't all have DRM) and keep backups.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Do these "old" ebooks just go the way of the dodo?
If you let them do so, yes.

Although in the case of Amazon (and most others), it would take a little more than the company going belly up to render those existing DRMed files useless. Your device would have to unregister itself as well. Should you leave your device in its registered state, you should theoretically be able to read your existing DRMed files for as long as the Amazon device they're on (or app they're in) remain operable. There is no live/constant connection to DRM servers required to read existing DRMed material. The online presence of Amazon (and most other companies') is only necessary to acquire new DRMed files (either new purchase or copies of old purchases for migrating to new devices/apps).

Not that I'm endorsing relying on that if you love keeping your books forever and ever (far from it, in fact). I'm just pointing out that your existing DRMed content (from most of the major retailers of DRMed content, anyway) isn't going to shrivel up and/or crumble to dust the moment the company you bought it from winks out of existence.

Now if you want to move that existing material to a new device/app, then you might be SOL, but that's a different matter.

Short answer is yes: DRMed ebooks are very much "another disposable media" in their native state. You either deal with that/don't care about that/rail against that/or change that native state (or some combination of those things). *shrugs*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you deregister the app, your stuff vanishes. Deregister your Kindle DEVICE and your books are still downloaded AND READABLE, you just can't download more till you reregister.

This works for Amazon devices that encrypt the book with the device ID, but not the Nook which encrypts with your credit card info.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Drm is an abomination.. the only drm books on my device are borrowed library books.. either don't buy drm books or "alf" them.....once you get them
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Not quite as bad as that, Eschwartz, they stay in Amazon's cloud until you reregister.
And in my case in Calibre, on Dropbox, and a USB drive in the fire safe. All minus DRM, thanks to Alf.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
hardcastle
Zealot
hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hardcastle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Gray Kindle Basic
I would have never bought an eReader or a single eBook had I not been able to break the DRM and make my own backups and copies.

My only concern is the ability to back up these purchases for years or decades. I certainly don't trust any company to do it for me.
hardcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I've bought 1,000s of paper books and they have all gone away. Some were burnt up in a fire, some were lost and most I gave away as they were too cumbersome to move etc.

Life went on. I'd be more upset if I couldn't get new ebooks. Could happen, someone could actually build a holodeck where we would live the books

Still if you have an large investment in ebooks, maybe you could get insurance.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
All of my purchased ebooks have the DRM removed first thing on downloading. I keep all of my ebooks, both public domain freebies and purchases, on my PC in a Calibre Library and that is backed up nightly to 3 other hard drives, and occasionally to the cloud. I never make purchases directly to my reader for a few reasons... I will never have a need where I just have to buy a book right this second while I'm out, and I don't want any account information on my readers in case I lose one.

I keep around 300 books on my reader at any one time, so I have plenty of reading choices until I get back home. I don't trust online booksellers to always be around to guarantee I can download my content again, or that they won't ever suffer any glitches where my books vanish from my account.

Btw, did anyone else have to Google "DAE"? I assumed it was some organization...
Ripplinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Btw, did anyone else have to Google "DAE"? I assumed it was some organization...
I admit I was puzzled. But I wasn't curious enough to take the time to look it up.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Agreed. I don't buy e-books diseased by DRM's as that would encourage corporations to continue putting those shackles on the e-books they sell so DRM's are not too much of a concern to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Drm is an abomination.. the only drm books on my device are borrowed library books.. either don't buy drm books or "alf" them.....once you get them
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Never seen it used before but I assume "DAE" means "Does Anyone Else".
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I admit I was puzzled. But I wasn't curious enough to take the time to look it up.
No and no idea what it is. I hate it when people you acronyms and just assume everyone in the world knows what they mean....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No and no idea what it is. I hate it when people you acronyms and just assume everyone in the world knows what they mean....
IKWYM
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
EWIHAT!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote