Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
BlueSky22
BlueSky22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Install apps without wifi?

Greetings from a first-time poster to this forum. I have enjoyed reading many informative postings over the last two weeks, but now I must ask for help that I haven't been able to find!

Until I get a chance to get a new wifi connection that will work with the vox, I would like to know if there is any possible way to install apps without first installing a file manager. In other words, sideload a file manager app?
BlueSky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
There isn't a way that I can see. so far I've needed to do it over a wifi connection or through a file manager.

Unless those who know better than me have any ideas.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Without having ever used it, I wonder if it's possible using adb? But of course that's way more complicated than installing a file manager. This is a huge gotcha with the vox...it's useful to have a file manager to install apps but how do you install the file manager to begin with? Especially with no web access?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yeah, best bet is to find a place with free wifi to install a file manager so outside of wifi access at least you've got a file manager.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky22 View Post
Greetings from a first-time poster to this forum.
Until I get a chance to get a new wifi connection that will work with the vox,
Are you saying you already have a WiFi connection that won't work with your Vox? I can't think of any WiFi that won't.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Are you saying you already have a WiFi connection that won't work with your Vox? I can't think of any WiFi that won't.
Well wpa enterprise won't work for one type.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Well wpa enterprise won't work for one type.
Not for home use though, is it? And nobody is going to downgrade a business system just to use a Vox.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Free WiFi

I do not know if this applies to this thread or not, but when I was given my Vox at Christmas I assumed I must get a router so I could go wireless for the ebooks, apps etc. Yo my surprise my internet provider sent be a new modem/router to replace my old modem. It seems they have switched to these newer modem/routers and replace them as the need arises. No charge.

My provider is Bell Aliant
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
BlueSky22
BlueSky22 began at the beginning.

Thank you to all for your suggestions. I finally made a wifi connection through my niece's cell phone and downloaded ASTRO file manager. Problem solved!
BlueSky22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
BWinmill
Nameless Being

adb does allow you to install apps, but it is a little intimidating to setup and use. The process goes something like this:

Setup:

Download Google's USB driver and platform-tools packages.

Modify the USB driver to recognize the Vox (Windows only, and it is easier than it sounds).

Install the USB driver and platform-tools.

Create a configuration file for adb (again, this is easier than it sounds).

Use:

Start the command prompt.

Type: adb install <filename>

If you want more help, feel free to ask.